Non-Jailbreakers

IGoSlo

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I don't beleive you

:confused: & LOL & :confused: I've gone back a few posts on this issue and Question ??? :confused: & LOL What are you baseing that statement on ? There is NOT enough information listed for one to "REASONABLY" come to the conclusion that an Individual would NOT be truthful. I hope you don't base "ALL" your decisions on such Light hearted thought...IGoSlo P.S. I know you are NOT a FAN of JB'ing but in SOME instances my JB phone HAS made my life simplier...If that's what you are referring to.

Syncopations

Jun 8, 2009
www.authenticragtime.com
I jailbroke back around 2.2. When I updated, I never bothered to do it again. I don't find any of the unauthorized applications appealing to me. I need nothing from it. My iPhone 3G is fine just the way it is.

futurecode

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
At the studio I work at, I have a 3Gs Jailbroken and two of my coworkers both have a Jailbroken 3G. I used to have the 3G and it was jailbroken but I'll tell ya what, from messing with my 3Gs and their 3G's back to back and my old 3G, I don't know if I could deal with a jailbroken 3G anymore, way too slow in my opinion. The 3Gs is, for me, a whole different story and was built to run jailbroken. For me, my themed out the 3Gs doesn't really lag at all, and if does, it's because I have MLB at bat, Tom Tom, Sportacular, and Facebook all running at the same time, and even then it's not that noticeable.

I "can" understand why someone wouldn't jailbreak. The technicality of it if they are not computer savvy, the slowness on the 3G, they like what apple has chosen for them, or feels like jailbreaking is illegal and don't want to tread there. But I also see a lot of misconceptions with it also.

One misconception is there is nothing "there" for me: someone would always find something if they tried: real time info on your lock screen, a weather icon that is real time, themeing {themeing is not just a looks thing, it bring greater functionality}, Better camera options, true multitasking, etc......

Another is Warranty Voiding: As someone who has taken two iphones back for physical defects, I can tell you this is not a worry if fully restored.

A big one is that It's unstable: That was very true before the 3.0 update but does not exist much anymore. I remember installing stuff before 3.0 that would brick my phone to the point where I had to restore ( a ton of times ) to get back up and running. Not once since the 3.0 update have I had, or seen, and bricked iphone caused by jailbreaking. 99 percent of errors/problems I have seen with jailbroken iphones is caused by human error due to someone doing/trying something they have no understanding of. Ya, I have had my phone not like what was done/installed for cydia but it'll just boot to "safe mode" where I can uninstall what I just installed and I'm back up and running like normal.

And there is also the "It's a hassle to Jailbreak every time there is an update": Maybe it's just me but from start to finish I can fully restore my iphone, update, rejailbreak and have everything I had before the restore up and running in (much less ) then an hour. Too me, that is neither long nor a hassle given the added functionality.

That being said, I'm not trying to tell people who don't jailbreak they are silly, that's their choice and who am I to condemn them for it. I'm just chiming in with a different perspective. At this point (and looking forward), I couldn't see myself without it.

Last edited:

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Lol! That was a good reply. I have come a long way from when I first started reading these forums. I was a staunch beleiver that JB'ing was Illegal and troublesome for the rest of the Iphoners. Now...I still do not have enough tech Davy to venture into it but if you want to be my guest and I do not care. I still will not JB my phone...ever. I like it the way it is. It just works and I rarely have problems. I can update without extra steps and if something goes wrong I never have to restore to take it in. So, have your fun and I'll have my peace of mind.

futurecode

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
One other note. I don't think the impact that jailbroken apps have had on non-jailbroken apps can be overstated. More and more you are starting to see jailbroken apps that we're once shunned by apple move from the jailbroken world to the "legit" app world. And not only move to the "legit" app world, but be the cream of the crop in their class. Not only does the polish these apps have from being out in the jailbreak world make them, usually, much better then a itunes store app which just launched, I also think apple has bent (believe it or not), if just slightly, to let these apps in, which most likely would not have happened without the jailbreak world.

Last edited:

pieroxy

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I owned an AT&T Edge iPhone in France, si I had to jailbreak and unsimlock. I bought a 3GS when it was out and I know one thing: I won't get anywhere close to jailbreak anymore. Enough worries when upgrading, no more random freezes, crashes... No reinstall of everything (and a wipe out) whenever you play too much with a poorly developped app...

Well, nothing beats the damn thing working. Not even a "cool" theme.

usman

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
At the studio I work at, I have a 3Gs Jailbroken and two of my coworkers both have a Jailbroken 3G. I used to have the 3G and it was jailbroken but I'll tell ya what, from messing with my 3Gs and their 3G's back to back and my old 3G, I don't know if I could deal with a jailbroken 3G anymore, way too slow in my opinion. The 3Gs is, for me, a whole different story and was built to run jailbroken. For me, my themed out the 3Gs doesn't really lag at all, and if does, it's because I have MLB at bat, Tom Tom, Sportacular, and Facebook all running at the same time, and even then it's not that noticeable.

I "can" understand why someone wouldn't jailbreak. The technicality of it if they are not computer savvy, the slowness on the 3G, they like what apple has chosen for them, or feels like jailbreaking is illegal and don't want to tread there. But I also see a lot of misconceptions with it also.

One misconception is there is nothing "there" for me: someone would always find something if they tried: real time info on your lock screen, a weather icon that is real time, themeing {themeing is not just a looks thing, it bring greater functionality}, Better camera options, true multitasking, etc......

Another is Warranty Voiding: As someone who has taken two iphones back for physical defects, I can tell you this is not a worry if fully restored.

A big one is that It's unstable: That was very true before the 3.0 update but does not exist much anymore. I remember installing stuff before 3.0 that would brick my phone to the point where I had to restore ( a ton of times ) to get back up and running. Not once since the 3.0 update have I had, or seen, and bricked iphone caused by jailbreaking. 99 percent of errors/problems I have seen with jailbroken iphones is caused by human error due to someone doing/trying something they have no understanding of. Ya, I have had my phone not like what was done/installed for cydia but it'll just boot to "safe mode" where I can uninstall what I just installed and I'm back up and running like normal.

And there is also the "It's a hassle to Jailbreak every time there is an update": Maybe it's just me but from start to finish I can fully restore my iphone, update, rejailbreak and have everything I had before the restore up and running in (much less ) then an hour. Too me, that is neither long nor a hassle given the added functionality.

That being said, I'm not trying to tell people who don't jailbreak they are silly, that's their choice and who am I to condemn them for it. I'm just chiming in with a different perspective. At this point (and looking forward), I couldn't see myself without it.
you nailed it! on 3G its not that great cause it does slow it down considerably. The 3GS was made to be JB. Everything runs super fast and smooth.. not a single issue, and with all the international travel I do the unlock was a surefire!

Digital#IM

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Challenge for TiPB Gurus: Fit a square peg BlackBerry User into an iRound hole?

When I first bought my 3GS, I jailbroke it just because I could, and so I could say I successfully did it.

But, after about 24 hours of use, I didn't see the point. Sometimes Cydia would lock up, and for no apparent reason. The only real thing I liked about being jailbroken was themes, i.e. Winterboard...

Hi Navi, it's good to see someone I know. :)

I have a real challenge for you and the TiPB community if you are interested? Being an avid BlackBerry user stranded on AT&T (not changing carriers), my touchscreen urge seems limited to the iPhone, the iPhone or the iPhone. It's a great device, and I recognize that ... but mainly what I use my phone for is Instant Messaging, Emails, Web Browsing, and Telephone.

The iPhone is great for browsing ... although I really need something that supports Flash, so it's not the browser that I really want just yet (fingers crossed), but neither is the one on the newest BlackBerrys, so it would be a while before I could find a browser that meets my needs. So for now, check.

The telephone isn't as reliable as I would like, but it's not the AT&T network, I know that. I used a BlackBerry on AT&T calling my wife's AT&T BlackBerry every day and didn't drop a single call in over 2 years ... so that's what I'm looking for from the iPhone on the AT&T network. I spoke to a knowledgeable AT&T person who explained a way to force the iPhone to always use EDGE for voice communications, so I'm hoping that this will solve the telephone reliability problems. So fingers crossed, hopefully we can say check.

That leaves Email and Instant Messaging, typically where my BlackBerrys shined. As for Email, I'm OK with getting push with a minute delay, that's not a big deal for me. Although, the lack of multitasking will make that a pain, I realize that and can live with it using the iPhone 3GS' push features. Not ideal for me, but managable. I'm seriously considering jailbraking right from the get-go just to have multitasking. Is there any other way to keep my Email (and IM's) multitasking in the background without jailbraking? Hopefully I can live with the extra pain of non-multitasking, but if not, at least I have the jailbraking option, so we'll call this a workaround check.

But I simply need my Instant Messaging to be reliable and ... well you know ... Instant. I receive and send a lot of IM's, and that's the primary use of my phone. I really do not like SMS's, they are clunky and a poor imitation of IM's. I love BBM, but I'm fine with using any other IM program so long as it is reliable and instant. The best solutions I see are maybe Beejive with push notifications, or if that doesn't cut it, then looking for a jailbroken solution. Any input on this or any better ways?

I realize that I am a prototypical BlackBerry user profile. So this is going to be a real test for how well the iPhone and the iPhone community to smooth the edges of this square peg to fit into the iRound hole, but if it can be done, I have faith that the community here at TiPB can help me find it.

Thanks in advance to Navi and the entire TiPB community. :)

pegasusl

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm on a Iphone 4 running 4.2.1 and I use the GPS a LOT..! Current jailbreaks are all tethered AND cost you the GPS function so I've stayed clear. TBH I really like it as it is....with the exception of decent notifications but thats a "live-with-able" flaw...

Shanicenicolle

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Here's a few reasons Apple stands where it does on jailbreaking

Crashes & instability
Malfunctioning & safety
Invasion of privacy
Exposing children to age-inappropriate content
Viruses & malware*
Inability to update software
Cellular network impact*
Piracy of developers? applications*
Instability of developers? applications*
Increased support burden*
Developer relationships
The Apple/iPhone brand*
Limitation on ability to innovate

I find that funny because all you have to do is click a button saying you're at least 17 when you buy an app from the app store lol

smalcom

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Haven't found a need to do so. Simply because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it.

Just remember Murphy's Law.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I find that funny because all you have to do is click a button saying you're at least 17 when you buy an app from the app store lol

That is true and if you are not monitoring your Childs phone then it Can be a problem. I keep a close eye on what my child downloads, some things look harmless and without that notification, I might not know that it is inappropriate. Plus my child knows that I will be checking so if it shows that badge of over 17yrs then he knows if he downloads it he will hear about it from me. I agree it could be more stringent. But it's better than no badge alerts whatsoever.

But this is just one item on a long list of "cons" to jailbreaking.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Haven't found a need to do so. Simply because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it.

Just remember Murphy's Law.

Make me a list of reasons why a person, who uses the jailbreaking option in a completely legal manner, "should not" do it.

We arn't talking about the use of an illegal drug here...or drinking underage...or speeding...this is a FEATURE of the phone, and a completely legal one now, it's fully and completely reversible if the phone is sold, and can be used (as in my case), in a completely legal and moral/ethical manner. In that, i see absolutely no reason why a person would make this kind of comment...making it seem like the basic act of JB'ing ALONE is something a person shouldn't do for any specific reason.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Even after they get hotspot app or improve things like SMS or lockscreen, you still want to be able to install whatever program you want. This is the basic principle. I don't need a company to approve what software goes on my phone.

In much the same way, i don't need a carrier to restrict what i do (such as not allowing certain apps to work on 3G, or imposing download limits, or charging more to tether using a data already paid for). Just be a dumbpipe and provide the data and voice. If i go over, i'll pay.

Like Locke says "don't tell me what i can't do" :p

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I don't think his reply had anything to do with morality. Two different people read the same comment and understand it two different ways. Your point of view might be from one that is used to defending the act of jailbreaking. When in the Commenters point of view he probably meant that to do so only invites the possibility of running into software problems. Try and be objective. This thread after all is FOR the non jailbreakers and reasons why they dont do it. Not the other way around.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I personally am grateful that apple has such tight control over their software. I don't have to worry about it as much like with other platforms. That control is what attracted me to apple in the first place. If one does not like this feature( yes I consider apples control a feature) the one does not have to buy it.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I personally am grateful that apple has such tight control over their software. I don't have to worry about it as much like with other platforms. That control is what attracted me to apple in the first place. If one does not like this feature( yes I consider apples control a feature) the one does not have to buy it.

Controls in place to make sure a program works properly is one thing. Controls in place to reject programs because they don't want you to have certain features or functions is another.

If one can jailbreak and get around this nonsense, then there's no reason to buy something else.

Apple is a company that can do no wrong right now. But they should be careful. Devs don't like this. Many customers don't like it but are willing to put up with it. Now Apple is even going more extreme by requiring devs to use their in-app purchasing or subscriptions system. This is going to bite them later.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2