Augmented Reality: Will you use it?

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I look forward to using this technology on vacations when I want more info about an item. Imagine a link to Wikipedia just by pointing your iPhone at a structure or monument.

Today's video showing how it could work to get information about a person is even cooler. No matter where you are you will be truly on the web. Some could care less about this, but for a geek like me I think it's revolutionary.

What are your thoughts?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
It's definitely revolutionary once more people know it's out there.

Once it gets more widespread appreciation it's going to be a way of life.

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
i think its kinda freaky! i would probably use it from time to time, but the freaky factor would still be there! :)

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
It will be great for so many things! Especially the first time you go to a tweetup and don't know any of the attendees...just aim your iPhone at random strangers until you find who you're looking for. And meeting a stranger off Craigslist at the local B&N to sell something? Awesome.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
All those people you follow on Twitter - some of them are really nice folks! We've been getting together once or twice a month now for almost a year. But it's tough the first time you show up alone!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
All you have to do is find people who tweet in your area. If they don't already have them - suggest one.

ryrycalguy

Jul 14, 2008
twitter.com
I agree with the creepiness. Though that doesn't mean I won't use it. However, it is getting a little too Wall-E-esque for me. Pretty soon, we'll not only have screen in front of our face all the time, we'll also be lounging around in chairs in a spaceship, with our bone mass dwindling away while two little robots have a love affair back at the Earth that we ruined.

Just saying...

snakes2003g

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I agree with the creepiness. Though that doesn't mean I won't use it. However, it is getting a little too Wall-E-esque for me. Pretty soon, we'll not only have screen in front of our face all the time, we'll also be lounging around in chairs in a spaceship, with our bone mass dwindling away while two little robots have a love affair back at the Earth that we ruined.

Just saying...

lol i could so see that happening. the robot part of course.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes, there are all sorts of really cool things they can do, I'm hoping to see an augmented reality GPS app before too long.

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
It will be great for so many things! Especially the first time you go to a tweetup and don't know any of the attendees...just aim your iPhone at random strangers until you find who you're looking for. And meeting a stranger off Craigslist at the local B&N to sell something? Awesome.

Ah, sorry, that's not going to happen in your lifetime. Facial recognition takes HUGE databases and Monstrous processing power. If Apple object to Girls in swimsuits imagine how ape**** they will go over any application allowing anyone to fetch their details.

Not going to happen.

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

All you have to do is find people who tweet in your area. If they don't already have them - suggest one.

Why?

Isn't knowing when they are brushing their teeth enough info? Is it necessary to watch them too?

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Well, as long as the apps don't cost as much as GMap or Navigon, then I'll use them. Although I think it might be a waste where I live. I'm sure I'm the only one in Stanley with an iPhone. I did see one or two other people in Luray with an iPhone...

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
icebike, evidently you are content knowing there are dozens of people in your area who share your interests in many things without ever getting to know them. Personally, I like to meet people with whom I share common interests. It's what's called a "social life." I still get together once a year for my spring break with people I met on forums 5 years ago. My best friend in the world is someone I met in a chat room 10 years ago. And now, thanks to tweetups, I have friends who come to my house weekly to watch Lost, (finally!) have local friends with whom to enjoy sushi every week or two, and have been invited to join an institution in the south that would previously have been out of my reach.

So stay home. No skin off my back.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro