Dust under 3GS Screen. Great experience at Apple store

madmak

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
So today I noticed 3-4 dust specs under the glass of my new 3GS. Since it was the 30th day (got it on launch day), I went to Genius bar at Apple store. This is my first Apple product so was not sure about the experience. It went smoothly and I walked out with a new 3GS in 5 minutes!

The genius guy first mentioned that he cannot replace the phone since I had purchased it at ATT and he would instead replace the screen. But they had no service techs available so he gave me a new phone instead.

Make sure to check your screens. Mine supposedly had a small opening on the lower left side (that is what he wrote on the report). A few spec of dust might not bother you (it did bother me!) but if the problem is endemic then in a few months it might get worse.

DocGo

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
That's great. My old 3G had the same problem. I am hoping that my 3GS will never have this problem. My older 2G never had this problem so I think this may be a 3G series thing.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Btw incase you didn't know it's not just a 30 day exchange policy. If you don't extend your warrantee you have 1 full year of exchanges. So if anything happens to your phone like a dead pixel or a broken home button or something, feel free to take it to the apple store and get a new one again.

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
Btw incase you didn't know it's not just a 30 day exchange policy. If you don't extend your warrantee you have 1 full year of exchanges. So if anything happens to your phone like a dead pixel or a broken home button or something, feel free to take it to the apple store and get a new one again.

Yes. I bought my 3G at ATT in December. In June, those little gray "stretch marks" that people have complained about on some white phones really began to bother me. I borought the phone to Apple. genius checked it out and gave me a brand new 3G, no problems. I did not have Apple Care. Phone was still under 1 year warranty.

i_nut

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
Pretty good that they'll honor the warranty and all. I was under the impression that they'd be a bit stingy w the units. Good stuff!

The_strain

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
I got mine at a walmart.... and can only *RETURN* to that store, but I got the apple care sooo w/e =) I've only have good experience with apple, my 1 year old MacBookPro has had the speakers go out and motherboard. The little 250 dollar card saved my 3k.... =)

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
I had the same problem but it was on the LCD and i just called it a dead pixel. it obviously was not since when the screen was off and the pixel was still there

iSkythe

May 12, 2009
Visit site
This post increases my hesitation to buy an iPhone. I am already leary of AT&T's not-so-great network and not sure if I am ready to leave VZW just for the iPhone.

Well AT&T can be really annoying, but overall I enjoy being on their network. They really do have the fastest 3G (from what I can tell). Now all we need is Slingplayer on 3G, and MMS.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
This post increases my hesitation to buy an iPhone. I am already leary of AT&T's not-so-great network and not sure if I am ready to leave VZW just for the iPhone.

Don't let a single issue out of the millions of phones sold make you hesitate to make your purchase. Do some phones have issues? Yes, of course. But that is universal. Any cell phone made today has some that leave the factory with issues. Fact of life. Good thing is you can go right into the store and make an exchange.

streetgrunt

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Haven't had any serious issues but as a new apple owner I've been extremely impressed with Apple customer service to the point Id like to dump my new Dell desktop and replace it with an apple. English speaking person from the USA each time who didn't immediately try to blame the issue on something else. I know that's not very p/c but after struggling with language barriers with Dell "techs" and having to go through the same flip card process unless I get upset with the person is a pita.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I have gone through 4 iPhone 3GS' and all of them had dust underneath the screen...among other issues.

I have gone through 4 already as well. Apple could not figure out any of my issues and replaced them all. Just got the 4th on Monday night. They agreed all my issues were hardware issues. I thought maybe some were software issues but with the wiping and restoring as a new device at the Apple genius bar recommended it did not work. Just to add, we had to get my wifes 3Gs screen replaced already as well. Me and Apple are not getting off on the right foot. When the device works properly, its a great device. I also had dust under all my screens and I dont put my iphone in my pocket at all. The last one I got already had dust under the screen when they gave it to me but it was Apples last 32GB Black one so I just took it anyways. Not much of a choice. I can see the screen is sealed great o the left side but not that great on the right. A small gap there all down the side with more dust about to drop in. Poor job and not really acceptable in my book.

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Update on my previous post. Had the gap on the right side of my screen which was causing a lot of dust to get under the screen fast. Took it to apple/genius bar and showed them the gap and all the dust. They put a new screen on and now the screen is sealed very well and so far no dust. I understand over time that a spec here and there will get under but not at the rate it was happening. Its all good now :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73