3GS Turning on without backlight

PSM

May 30, 2005
headsetchatter.com
This has only happened to me twice so far, both within the last week. I'm a little disturbed so I wanted to see if anyone else has been getting this:

When I turn on my 3GS the screen comes on but without the backlight. Turning it off and back on again has fixed it so far. The phone doesn't feel hot, so I don't think it has to do with overheating.

Has this happened to anybody else?

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Do you have the auto light option on or off?

Also, did you install a case of some sort? Something tells me it's the lighting conditions that you're in, causing that.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Standby is what fixes this for me. Hasn't happened in a while and not worth me restoring and setting up as a new iPhone.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
First make sure that your case is not covering your proximity sensor. I had an incase sport and it blacked out my screen a few times. Hope it's as simple as that.

if your not sure where the sensor is...it is in the top left hand corner of the phone as your looking at it in the black area. I know this is only supposed to happen in the phone app, during a call. just thought it might be worth checking into before doing a restore.

Last edited:

bbmd16

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
This happens to me all the time, yes going back to standby usually fixes but does get quite annoying!! I have no idea why but I am glad that I am not the only one with this issue...

sysrage

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I saw this quite a few times. No case blocking any sensors. I do have a Bodyguardz on it, but that sure shouldn't cause any problems. I ended up just disabling the auto-brightness and it hasn't happened again. Possibly draining battery a tiny bit more at times, but nothing noticeable.