Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kaitokomauri
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default Groups for Contacts

Can anyone help me in understanding the groups function in contacts? I am a PC user, have synced with Outlook but can't find the Iphone contacts on my computer anywhere!

What I am wanting to do is group contacts in several categories. I have an app that would use groups if I could only allocate names to specific groups.

What [no doubt basic information] am I lacking?

Thanks
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

You have to set up your contact groups within your computer and outlook - I'm just assuming you are using outlook to sync contacts. Although I have a Mac and am not 100% sure outlook will even be able to do this. Bottom line is you can not do this from the iPhone itself.
    iPhone Pro

You can do this from the phone itself with apps like abcontacts and abgroups.

-Open Outlook
    -Select contacts
    -Look on the left sidebar, right click contacts and select new folder

-Name the folder(s) what you want your contact groups to be.
    -From the main contacts folder, drag and drop the contacts to the appropriate folders (contacts can only be in one folder in outlook)
    -In itunes under the info tab select the groups you want to sync to your phone.

From the phone you can put contacts in multipe groups with apps like abcontacts or abgroups.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Nanite

Thank you ! That comprehensive answer has met my every need [and more!]
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Question

My ultimate goal is to have my Google Contacts Groups, show up in my iPhone Contacts Groups.

I was using a hosted exchange email service for awhile.
    I just switched to google apps gmail.
    m.google.com/sync
    Google even supports outlook now (with contacts/calendar sync)
    google.com/apps/intl/en/business/outlook_sync.html
    Google Apps Outlook Sync for Microsoft Outlook

Neither one seems to sync contact "groups" (just all the contacts)

It seems contacts groups show up on the iphone contacts if we sync via itunes (manually/wired, using outlook method above) The same is true if you manually sync via itunes with a mac address book with groups. (groups show up on the iphone contacts button goes back a page, shows groups)

If you use Google Sync, over the air, the google contacts groups dont show up on your iphone contacts groups. If you view your iPhone contacts main page, you'll see a Groups button in the upper left corner of the screen. If you sync your contacts to your iphone via itunes it seems to preserve your groups. If you use exchange or the new google sync (with exchange) it doesnt show your contacts groups at all on your iphone. Is this feature being worked on?

It seems nuevasync might have something in the works to support google contacts groups. If they can do it, google should be able to as well. They have a free version too. (paid version adds "push")

forum.nuevasync.com:8080/forum/posts/list/189.page

and

forum.nuevasync.com:8080/forum/posts/list/10.page

My ultimate goal is to have my Google Contacts Groups, show up in my iPhone Contacts Groups
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    555 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JazJon View Post
    My ultimate goal is to have my Google Contacts Groups, show up in my iPhone Contacts Groups
    i use gmail too. and plan on using google sync when i get my 3GS in a week or so. i agree that this would be a handy feature to have. i have groups of contacts for my high school classmates (i organize reunions), co-workers, friends, family, etc. might have to check out apps like abcontacts and abgroups listed previously.
    ...Analog is the future...
    twitter @jglowe74
    * iPhone 4S 32GB, iOS 7.0.3
    * iPad 32GB WiFi only, iOS 5-ish
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jglowe74 View Post
    i use gmail too. and plan on using google sync when i get my 3GS in a week or so. i agree that this would be a handy feature to have. i have groups of contacts for my high school classmates (i organize reunions), co-workers, friends, family, etc. might have to check out apps like abcontacts and abgroups listed previously.
    Sync In A Blink sounded promising until I learned it syncs ALL contacts (even the suggested ones) instead of just MY contacts. It seems to be the closest appstore app to do what we want. (so close)

syncinablink.com/SyncInABlink.aspx

Check this out though.

syncinablink.com/Forums.aspx?g=posts&t=174
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Man, I really want to see my google contact groups show up on my iPhone contacts (groups). It would be nice to see groups linked into outlook groups as well (or catagories as they are called). I pay for google apps premium even for the full outlook sync. It should be possible to sync contact groups in future updates I hope.

Also it really sucks that google voice contacts/calendar can't be linked to your google apps contacts/calendar

google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=42f7b6f965d79a28&hl=en

google.com/support/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=142589
    iPhone Nanite

Default you can use some free app such as GContact Lite

you can use some free app such as GContact Lite

GContact Lite for iPhone and iPod touch on the iTunes App Store

htt p://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gcontact-lite/id386490865?mt=8
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    465 Global Posts

Except on my PC in iTunes the "Sync contacts with selected groups is greyed out"
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    824 Global Posts

I don't have an outlook account - I use yahoo. How can I get groups for my contacts (telephone numbers, not email addresses?!)
    iPhone Nanite

Agree with iori kingdom. It is a lot more easier to download a 3rd party app. I am using Easy Group. It is a free app.

John John
    iPhone Nanite

So far I have tried Group, SmartR, and GrouMe to try and group my iPhone contacts. The downturn with all these apps is that they place my iPhone contacts on their native servers and apps and group them there. I would really want to group my iPhone contacts directly within the default Contacts app.

I also do not use Outlook anymore and wouldn't want to go back to it just to organize my iPhone contacts into groups. So frustrated right now.
    iMore Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by steamunderpressure View Post
    ?....The downturn with all these apps is that they place my iPhone contacts on their native servers and apps and group them there. I would really want to group my iPhone contacts directly within the default Contacts app.
    It sounds like what you need is our MailShot Pro app .

It creates and manages "group contacts" in your contacts, which you can use from most apps on your device. Instead of requiring you to use its own mail app, you can now send directly from Mail, Photos and many many more. Over the past year around 90000 people have benefited from the way it builds group email right into your apps .

TIP for best results address your MailShot group from the To or Bcc lines of your email by tapping the blue "+", then selecting from your contacts.

Peter
    Soluble Apps

Disclosire, I am the developer of MailShot Pro and may benefit from its sale.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,122 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Solublepeter View Post
    It sounds like what you need is our MailShot Pro app .

It creates and manages "group contacts" in your contacts, which you can use from most apps on your device. Instead of requiring you to use its own mail app, you can now send directly from Mail, Photos and many many more. Over the past year around 90000 people have benefited from the way it builds group email right into your apps .

TIP for best results address your MailShot group from the To or Bcc lines of your email by tapping the blue "+", then selecting from your contacts.

Peter
    Soluble Apps

Disclosire, I am the developer of MailShot Pro and may benefit from its sale.
    Can you do one for group texting that will put the groups in the contacts app?
    iMore Newbie

I'm afraid you cannot group phone numbers for texts in the same way that MailShot does for email.

You can include text-equivalent email addresses (which US based cell companies all provide) in a MailShot group, which will then get turned into texts, but it's not really what MailShot was designed for.

Peter
    Soluble Apps
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,122 Global Posts

I guess my question is can you design an app to do this? You would make a killing if you can do it.
    iMore Guru

iOS Version

You can create contact groups on your iPhone with the app store app "Groups".

Sent from an iPhone4s with Tapatalk
    iMore Intermediate

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by steamunderpressure View Post
    So far I have tried Group, SmartR, and GrouMe to try and group my iPhone contacts. The downturn with all these apps is that they place my iPhone contacts on their native servers and apps and group them there. I would really want to group my iPhone contacts directly within the default Contacts app.

I also do not use Outlook anymore and wouldn't want to go back to it just to organize my iPhone contacts into groups. So frustrated right now.
    A way to create and edit groups within the default Contacts app is using something like .

1. Run the program and make sure you have your iPhone connected to your computer. Then create a new contact group as shown below:

2. Drag and drop selected contacts in the group:

3. The group appears on the iPhone with the respective contacts

Thanked by:
    steamunderpressure (06-19-2012)
    steamunderpressure likes this.
    iPhone Nanite

Kaitokmauri, thanks for the steps. Nice tool there - this has sorted me out.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,122 Global Posts

But don't you still have to select contacts one by one, even when you select the group? That is one thing that I like about Android and Google intergration. It would be nice if one could transfer contact groups from Google contacts to IOS. In other words, to send a group text on Android, I just open the texting app, tap add contacts button(which will show "groups" as an option), select the group that I want, and the "To" field is populated with contacts in that group.
    iMore Intermediate

pappy53, you are right that on the iPhone, even if you have contacts organized in groups, in order to start a group message (say using the Messages app), you still need to select the individual contacts from that group one by one.

However, once you send a group message, to a set of people, the group recipients will be saved on top, the next time you receive an answer from anyone of the participants. Sort of as in a group Facebook chat. You can see this has happened once you receive a message featuring a Group icon:

Note that, participants list for the group chat cannot be edited once you send the message.

At the end of the day it is still easier to have your iPhone contacts organized in groups in order to compile your group messages participants list easier. Here is a quick video of how to add groups to your iPhone Contacts app with copytrans contacts:

iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,122 Global Posts

Thanks for your response, but after some consideration, I am going back to Android. Razr Maxx is getting ICS next week, and it will then be a beast. Don't get me wrong, as I like IOS, but it is lacking in some areas, and Apple is slow to add these features. If they ever do put a bigger screen on iPhone, and features to match the versatility of Android, then I will try it again. I know that Android has had some problems, but the new ICS has laid them to rest. It is fast and lag-free. Apple seems to be slowing down a little, as it isn't even the top selling phone on Verizon anymore, and the Samsung S3 is the biggest selling phone ever at launch. This will probably change when the new iPhone comes out, but you never know. Like I said, I like both platforms, but at the moment Android seems to fit my needs more.
    Thank you, and have a very blessed day!