New to Apple - Extremely disappointed

JBaby_9783

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
We are all getting off track. The point is had OP done just a little bit of research he could have saved himself all of this stress. I'm not against calling Apple out on their BS. Apple should have made the calendar better. They still should. There are a number of things Apple needs to improve. The fact remains they haven't so we have to decide whether or not we can live with the limitations. But it's up the buyer to do the research. This all goes back to asking yourself, "Is this the right device for me?" If you don't have all of the information how can you answer that question?

Last edited:

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
iPhone is not a Treo/Pre. Use an iPhone like one, or use a Treo/Pre like an iPhone, and you'll be disappointed.

Every device has strong points, gotta find the best match possible for you and your needs.

Frenzytom#CB

Apr 24, 2004
Visit site
I used to have one. It's the attitude that the Blackberry breeds. The sort of superior attitude that the users have, that they are not "playing with a toy" and all the other crap like that. I am seeing the same attitude with Palm Pre owners with the only thing they can brag about and be snotty about is multitasking. But if you ask them about battery life...

Unfortunately multitasking is a big thing and differentiates it from other smartphones including the iPhone. It's funny you mentioned battery life when you can swap out the battery and continue working...

mullrat

Jun 8, 2008
Visit site
I used to have one. It's the attitude that the Blackberry breeds. The sort of superior attitude that the users have, that they are not "playing with a toy" and all the other crap like that. I am seeing the same attitude with Palm Pre owners with the only thing they can brag about and be snotty about is multitasking. But if you ask them about battery life...

Well when I see my coworkers playing with iBeer, or Assassin's Creed at the office, it does help promote that image. Not the iPhone's fault that it is a superior gaming and multimedia machine. Unfortunately to peopl in whom those qualities are not important it just looks like a toy. Too bad It hides the fact that the iPhone is a good business device.

Last edited:

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
It's not the phones fault that there is an easily available SDK and the platform is easy to develop for. Were the BB that way, or any other device for that matter, there would be just as many iFart, iBeer, etc apps available.

mullrat

Jun 8, 2008
Visit site
I agree with the OP. the iPhone calendar is less than stellar. The Calendar is an aspect of a smartphone that one would expect to be excellent, not just adequate. Push notification is a bad solution in my opinion. Just a deeper integration with the cloud. It's a very roundabout way to perform something that to a developer is extremely easy to do.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Well when I see my coworkers playing with iBeer, or Assassin's Creed at the office, it does help promote that image. Not the iPhone's fault that it is a superior gaming and multimedia machine. Unfortunately to peopl in whom those qualities are not important it just looks like a toy. Too bad It hides the fact that the iPhone is a good business device.

That may be so, but I have Documents to Go and an Exchange email set up on my iPhone. Is that more along the lines of the Blackberry mentality?

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately multitasking is a big thing and differentiates it from other smartphones including the iPhone. It's funny you mentioned battery life when you can swap out the battery and continue working...

Now how about that battery life? And yes, the iPhone can multitask apps.

talkin73

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Just jailbreak your phone and install the status notifier mod. Bam. Problem solved. Then you have exactly one step to check if you have mail, just hit the home button.

Yeah, it's lame that Apple neglected to implement some pretty obvious features, and still refuses to do so. But jailbreaking solves most of these issues.

While this would solve some of the issues noted by a variety of posters in this thread, it necessitates violating the terms of service that all users agreed to when they signed their contract and purchased their device. Though it is not considered very "cool" nowadays to talk about keeping promises and following rules, I imagine these issues actually do motivate the choices of many users. This, in turn, leaves them using the device as intended by the manufacturer making your suggested resolution obsolete.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
While this would solve some of the issues noted by a variety of posters in this thread, it necessitates violating the terms of service that all users agreed to when they signed their contract and purchased their device. Though it is not considered very "cool" nowadays to talk about keeping promises and following rules, I imagine these issues actually do motivate the choices of many users. This, in turn, leaves them using the device as intended by the manufacturer making your suggested resolution obsolete.

Terms of service? You think anyone abides by that? All you are doing is changing the software. It's easy to change back and no one knows you did it. Trust me, I did. No one knows.

Plus, it's your hardware. That Dodge Ram in the driveway is mine. If I want to put new exhaust pipes on it, I can. It's mine. Same with the iPhone.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Oh God here goes that debate again. I for one agree with "talkin73". Just wanted to let him know that he is not alone in this issue.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I downloaded the free trial of Pocket Informant to see what the extra calendaring functionality would look like. It's very cluttered. I prefer the slim and streamlined look of the iPhone's calendar. I still don't see what's wrong with it. :confused:

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Haven't you ever heard of street legal or insurance or registration? If you want to USE that dodge. You are required to follow some rules

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
So it's illegal to put Magnaflow pipes on it? Does it mean it won't run if I do that? That actually increases the horsepower and the coolness in sound. You can always take it off. Just like unjailbreaking a phone. I did it to mine because I wasn't happy with the instability.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
hey you can do what you want I just said if you want to use thaT dodge there are rules that you will follow. So you dodge analogy does not make your point.

Frozen001

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
I prefer the slim and streamlined look of the iPhone's calendar. I still don't see what's wrong with it. :confused:
Different Strokes for different folks.... You obviously do not have a problem with the calendar app... me I am one that think the calendar app is very primative.

It takes far too many steps to insert anything, date selection is terrible, it lacks true categories (I now have to have multiple calendars to keep things separate which I think is a PIA), no week view, no to-do list integration.
Sure there are workarounds, or jailbreaking is an option, but it would be nice to just have the functionality built in. Sure I could use Google calendar, but then I cannot connect to my companies exchange server, which by the way when you use the exchange server it only syncs your main calendar, or at least that is what mine does.
I use MobileMe also, and while that is nice, and improves the calendar, I have to be on my laptop or desktop?

talkin73

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Oh God here goes that debate again. I for one agree with "talkin73". Just wanted to let him know that he is not alone in this issue.

Thanks for the feedback, it is good to hear support on this issue. I can understand though why you said "Oh God here goes that debate again." :eek: In my viewing/reading experience, by the time people are old enough to be posting in online forums such as TiPb, they are so entrenched in their personal beliefs that any "debate", while potentially well intentioned, generally ends up being little more than a digital shouting match :cool: That said, your rebuttal to the truck analogy was well stated :D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods