Exchange Activesync and sync with another PIM: Possible?

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
I would like the following on my future iPhone3G:

From Work: Exchange server: e-mails, calendar (my work appointments), on-line access to work contacts on the server (so that I can create e-mails and meeting), but not have the contacts copied on to the iPhone

From home PC: Any PIM (which one?): calendar (my personal appointments), contacts, various emails (POP, IMAP, Gmail, AOL, Yahoo)

I could use my work Exchange to keep my personal appointments and contacts, but I'd rather not.

Summary: Is the following possible?

Sync with Exchange for work-email and meetings and contact and
Sync with something else (PC based or web based PIM) for personal emails, appointments, contacts.

TIA
Aloke Prasad

mpafr012#AC

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site
I would like the following on my future iPhone3G:

From Work: Exchange server: e-mails, calendar (my work appointments), on-line access to work contacts on the server (so that I can create e-mails and meeting), but not have the contacts copied on to the iPhone

From home PC: Any PIM (which one?): calendar (my personal appointments), contacts, various emails (POP, IMAP, Gmail, AOL, Yahoo)

I could use my work Exchange to keep my personal appointments and contacts, but I'd rather not.

Summary: Is the following possible?

Sync with Exchange for work-email and meetings and contact and
Sync with something else (PC based or web based PIM) for personal emails, appointments, contacts.

TIA
Aloke Prasad

Yes it is possible.

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.
I'll follow the usual instructions to setup Exch. ActiveSync.

Do you have any suggestions for which other PIM I could use for my personal appointments, contacts, emails? Any special procedures or hints required to set up such an arrangement?

Aloke Prasad

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
What are you using right now for your personal appointments? What email do you use? What contact manager?

You can have exchange setup for you at work and do all of that over the air.

You can sync the iPhone at home for personal stuff with anything you like really, they are independent of your exchange account at work.

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
Right now, I am using a Treo 650 with Datebk6 as my calendar and ChatterEmail as my e-mail client.

On the Treo (and I believe that this is the case for any device that uses Activesync), if I use Exchange Activesync over-the-air, then the calendar and contacts on the device is replaced by the ones from my work's Exchange server. I cannot have both Activesync (OTA) and local sync with Palm desktop at home.

Are you saying that I can do this (separate existence of Exchange Activesync OTA calendar+contacts and another calendar+contacts on the device from a cable sync with a PIM at home)? Which PIM would you recommend using at home?

Aloke

Last edited:

toenniel

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Aloke, thought I'd bump this thread and see if you ever found a solution for having both your work and personal sync on the iphone? I would like to have a similar setup when I get my iphone in a few weeks but so far haven't found a solution for syncing both.

Thanks, Erika

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
itunes is the PIM you use. The program is usually syncs with it Outlook. There is no other option.

I believe a recent version added the ability to sync both Outlook and Exchange at the same time. it didn't used to allow this.

your only other web-based option to get contacts too is MobileMe.

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
I gave up and sync with my work's exchange server, I have to remember to use my PC to mark my private items private (you cannot mark items private from the iPhone).

With the latest OS, when you activate Exchange account, you are given a choice to keep any current Calendar, Contacts on the device. Previously, it used to erase them.

I'm not sure if itunes sync will continue to sync to the local installation of Outlook and Exchange after you do that.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure if itunes sync will continue to sync to the local installation of Outlook and Exchange after you do that.

It will. I setup exchange and then synced with the desktop in that order to test in late July.

if you have exchange wireless sync and outlook is also syncing with the same exchange you end up with duplicate contacts (didn't look at calendars)

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
It will. I setup exchange and then synced with the desktop in that order to test in late July.

if you have exchange wireless sync and outlook is also syncing with the same exchange you end up with duplicate contacts (didn't look at calendars)

When you did the test (above), which desktop app did you sync with?

Does the same calendar in the iPhone show appointments from both the local app and the Exchange server?

When people on the Exchange Server do a "busy search", do they see the private appointments in the calendar as busy or unavailable times?

Aloke

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods