Five hour sync?

Listy

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Am I the only one waiting for five hours for my phone to Sync?

I only have 4GB of music and photos, 2000 contacts and don't have
excessive applications anymore. I'm not jailbroken. I don't understand
why it takes five hours with only minor changes since my last sync.
Let?s not talk about a full restore. I can get that amount of data on a
$20 USB stick in less than two minute. Other PDA's I've had in the passed
seem to just check for changes, find them and then transfer the data

I haven't seen any blog or forum post so I?m thinking, it's just me?

Last edited:

Listy

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Try changing your sync cord. I too had that issue and it took me anywhere from 4-6 hours to sync, I however, didn't have music or that many contacts, however, I did have about 3GB of apps.

None the less try changing the cord & see if it makes a difference.

It seems stupid, but I can't tell you how many people I've told to do this and the problem got fixed.

Thanks, I'll try that as my cord seen better days.

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
It's the 3G with 8GB

I have a 16GB 3G with 5GB of music, 3GB of apps and 2GB of video plus 300 contacts and it never takes more than 15-20 minutes to back mine up. Also, my cord is not frayed ('fraid not! ;)). You have to remember never to unplug it by pulling on the cord, but on the top part of the USB interface itself.

Last edited:

toomanyphones

Oct 14, 2008
Visit site
I sync about 20 gigs and tons of podcasts daily and it takes less than a minute. If the cable replacement don't work, try a full restore.

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
i've got the same model phone, around 3 gigs of music, 2 gigs of video, apps, pics, and podcasts and mine does not take near that long! check the cable as mentioned, and make sure you're plugged into a 2.0 usb not lower. has it always been this slow for you?

Listy

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
i've got the same model phone, around 3 gigs of music, 2 gigs of video, apps, pics, and podcasts and mine does not take near that long! check the cable as mentioned, and make sure you're plugged into a 2.0 usb not lower. has it always been this slow for you?

Yeah, I think it's always been this low...I think.
Full restore takes about 10 hours.

Listy

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
I have a few cords around. I dont even think this ones mine.
I look after my things better than this old ratty thing.
I'll chnge it over tomorrow and see if that helps.

Thanks everyone:)

toomanyphones

Oct 14, 2008
Visit site
I am sorry if someone mentioned it, but itunes it self could be the problem. I once had to clear and reload itunes library to solve some slow syncing problem. My complete restore on the 3G took about 15 minutes and the 3GS took 11.

Listy

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Still taking 5 hours with a replacement cord.
I will try a brand new cord then start reloading
the iTunes library if that doesn't work.

Thanks all:)

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I have found that if you happen to have an older cord it takes much longer to update or charge.

I've found that my older cord actually works better. It's one that had the tabs you had to squeeze to remove it from the device, think it came with a 4G iPod. The cord that came with my iPhone 3G is not only shorter but seems to transfer data much slower.

Also, to the OP, is it the actual sync part that is taking that long or the back up phase. My back up takes forever and I normally cancel it because it takes a long time again.

Last edited:

Listy

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
4.5 hours into a back-up before i do a system restore,
with a new cord. This is a hassle. Then restore JB again.
Don't have time now for a system restore (10-12hrs)
This takes a business tool out of play for to long.

Any suggestions before I restore? Anything appreciated.

Last edited:

h4rk

Feb 23, 2009
Visit site
One thing you might make sure of is that you have the latest version of the iPhone software. Back before 2.1 came out, the iPhone took AGES to back up and this was normal. I used to leave mine backing up overnight because it just took so long. Eventually, a couple of months after we got the 3G, Apple released an update that DRASTICALLY improved the speed of backups. I assume that your software is newer than this but perhaps if you rarely hook to your computer you may have old software.

John T

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
I've found that my older cord actually works better. It's one that had the tabs you had to squeeze to remove it from the device, think it came with a 4G iPod.

I still use mine too. I much prefer it to the "new" ones with the spring loaded tabs. I have a feeling that these are responsible for the cracked cases people complain about. They can easily catch on the case when removing the plug.