What bugs you?

gregg37

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
There are tons of threads with people kissing their iphones butt. Having converted to the 3GS from a long history with Sprint/Palm, I find myself rather disappointed in a few little things that actually irritate me quite a bit...

1) Not being able to add/change sounds for text messages and other events is HUGE. Can't believe it's been this long without it. But seeing as how you just finally got copy/paste and MMS is still nowhere to be seen, I guess that's not surprising.

2) The fact that there are however many thousands of apps.... yet there seems to be like 3 that are of any real use.

3) Not being able to do much "personalization". For instance a background behind the icons, not just on the unlock screen. Or at least a change of background color.

Don't get me wrong, I have been really enjoying my short time with this phone. The 3GS brings many things that the device should have been doing for years now which is why I finally switched. But these little nick-knack things, particularly the test message tones, are driving me nuts!

How about you?

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like you need to jailbreak, my friend! ;)

Those who were upset with the lack of personalization offered are usually the ones that jailbreak or hack their iPhones. Look up the term and see what other people have done to their iPhones. I think you'll find what you're looking for and more.

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
Definitely thinking about it... but afraid to, being new to it. And bottom line.... you shouldn't have to. :)

"Shouldn't" isn't the point. Obviously the 3G S doesn't have what you like. If you don't want to jailbreak, it's really simple, get another Palm. Problem solved! ;)

gregg37

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
I want to, just need to make sure I learn about the risks and mistakes not to make. And so far every time I go start researching, I see "don't jailbreak the 3GS just yet" so I think there's still a little learning curve going on out there in jailbreak land.

Looking forward to checking it out though.

As for Palm, the Pre was an amazing step forward for the troubled company, but also took several steps backward. One of which was the same problem that bugs me so much with iphone. Even less sound personalization than we are seeing here. I don't get why we're evolving backwards.

Guess I should just be happy my white 3GS hasnt overheated as many seem to be doing. I stream Pandora all day while checking mail, texting, and surfing and it doesnt seem to get hot at all. Guess I should shut up while I am ahead. :)

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Jailbreaking doesn't take long at all. From the sound of your post that is probably the right direction for you to go. You can always restore back to the factory settings if it somehow doesn't meet your wants.

toomanyphones

Oct 14, 2008
Visit site
I am sure not all people will be totally happy with the iPhone. After using more than 30 phones over the years, the 3G was the best one I found until I picked upthe 3GS. Yesterday I pop my sim in the Tytn 11, which has many of the features mention, I found it unbearable to use now that I have been using iPhone for a year. Until something becoome the next better phone, guess I am stuck with this one.
e

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Why is it that important to change SMS tones? I don't understand the obsession with this. I see so many people complain about it all the time, but I honestly see no purpose to it o___O..

And no you shouldn't jailbreak yet, but it's coming very soon so you'll be able to do all that stuff and more. At least with iPhone there is always jailbreak.

gregg37

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Why is it that important to change SMS tones? I don't understand the obsession with this. I see so many people complain about it all the time, but I honestly see no purpose to it o___O..

And no you shouldn't jailbreak yet, but it's coming very soon so you'll be able to do all that stuff and more. At least with iPhone there is always jailbreak.

I like a subtle, but noticable SMS tone. All of the included ones are a bit obnoxious.

And yea, from what I read, jailbreaking a 3GS right now isn't the brightest idea. I'm definitely gonna keep an eye on it though.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I guess I understand that. I want a more subtle one too actually.. The default one feels like an assault on my eardrums at any audible volume, I like the chime one but i just want it to sound once not twice.. Ack oh well.

bmfan#IM

May 12, 2009
Visit site
iTunes, having to use iTunes to add any photos or data takes 5 to 10 times as long as if you could simply drag and drop. adding photos is the worst. removing any data is equally obnoxious. no mulititasking, not being able to change sounds as already mentioned..

Sadly phone manufactures do not design phones with me specifically in mind, so the iPhone will do for now....

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
You're REALLY over generalizing with the following:

2) The fact that there are however many thousands of apps.... yet there seems to be like 3 that are of any real use.

Yes, there are a lot of apps that overlap, or are just "for fun" apps, but there's a large number of apps that are quite useful if only for very limited situations.

The Pre has what? 20 or so apps and are still keeping the SDK close to the vest? Going to take a long time to get a good number of apps up there that way.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Yeah best thing for you sounds like a jailbreak. Always depends on your needs.

For me, I like quick and short text tones, so the default is just fine with me for SMS. I do wish I could customize the email sounds though.

Either way, you CAN have the functionality you want, you just have to jailbreak. Hey, nothings perfect ;)

fleury

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
i have yet to run into anybody that has a phone that can do half the stuff my 3g can. people go nuts when i have lunch with my mom at the hospital and stuff. pretty neat phones. jail breaking it makes it the ultimate phone! i hope to get my 3gs next month. the video camera rocks compared to cycorder!

gregg37

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Yes the pre has 20 or so right now... but that's 20 more than the iphone had at launch. Also, to be honest the ones I use most often (Pandora, Fandango, etc) are on both phones. Plus you have the emulator to bring in all the old school palm apps (some of which are way better than the garbage apple lets hit the iphone store).

Duuuude, that email sound is perfect for a SMS sound imo. Subtle but noticable. After jailbreaking the 3GS, that is possibly one of the sounds I will use for SMS.

Yea dude, the video on the 3GS is really nice. I catch myself filming dumb crap just for kicks. I've got videos of my dog taking a dump, me browning ground beef, and forklifts running around at work.

Last edited:

Scott R

Oct 29, 2001
tapland.com
I'm a former Palm OS / Treo user (also from Sprint) and I can certainly list several things that irk me about the iPhone OS/GUI, but I have trouble taking seriously anyone who makes claims like that one. There are a ton of interesting, useful apps available for the iPhone. That's the main reason I just bought my 3GS instead of the Palm pre. I hope the pre does well and a year from now has a real SDK available and lots of great apps, but not only do they not have hardly any apps available, they also don't appear to have a real SDK even in beta form. The SDK is just for creating HTML/Javascript-based apps, and I believe that the source code can be easily viewed. As a developer, I wouldn't touch that with a 10-foot pole.

Seeing as other iPhone users haven't been offended by your comments, I'll add that the biggest thing I'd like (which I posted a separate thread about a few days ago) is a recently-used apps list. I used Hi-Launcher on my Treo to get a quick pop-up of recently used apps when I pressed-and-held the phone button. I can get by without real mulitasking, but I would like a quicker way to jump between apps I'm using.

traylorc

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
Seeing as other iPhone users haven't been offended by your comments, I'll add that the biggest thing I'd like (which I posted a separate thread about a few days ago) is a recently-used apps list. I used Hi-Launcher on my Treo to get a quick pop-up of recently used apps when I pressed-and-held the phone button. I can get by without real mulitasking, but I would like a quicker way to jump between apps I'm using.

Great idea

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Yes the pre has 20 or so right now... but that's 20 more than the iphone had at launch. Also, to be honest the ones I use most often (Pandora, Fandango, etc) are on both phones. Plus you have the emulator to bring in all the old school palm apps (some of which are way better than the garbage apple lets hit the iphone store).

Sure the iPhone was completely closed at the start, which was one of the main reasons I was not fond of the iPhone, but you would think Palm would have learned from Apple's mistake. Guess not... I don't understand why some people complain about the garbage apps in the thousands that are available. You mean to tell me that the Palm OS didn't have any less than stellar applications? Windows Mobile? They all have them... It's funny how no one who trashes the apps never seems to mention the top notch ones that no other device can even come close too. :rolleyes:

Rynology

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Seems to me that every phone is going to have it's drawbacks, but for me the iphone offers more positives than the others. I can deal with the lack of sound personalization.

fleury

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site

Duuuude, that email sound is perfect for a SMS sound imo. Subtle but noticable. After jailbreaking the 3GS, that is possibly one of the sounds I will use for SMS.

Yea dude, the video on the 3GS is really nice. I catch myself filming dumb crap just for kicks. I've got videos of my dog taking a dump, me browning ground beef, and forklifts running around at work.

so you're telling us you looked through zillions of apps and found three useful? you've checked every single one? who cares what the iphone had at lunch? when the vette launched it only had a 6 cylinder. thats not stopping the vette now is it? i don't know man you might as well just go back to your awesome old phone then instead of complaining to us about your phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73