Let's start with some backstory first.
I bought the original iPhone right when it dropped price to $400. It was my first smartphone. I had it for about a year and even though I loved it I just couldn't use it because it didn't have features I needed. These features were video recording, push, voice recorder, and document editing. I absolutely loved the phone though and am a huge Apple fan.
So after a year with the iPhone I decided to go with the Blackberry Bold. I got the Bold when it launched and I really like it.
The problem is I got the Bold in November and now in June of the next year Apple releases the 3GS and 3.0. Both basically fulfill my needs...
The Blackberry is a great device... but like Nokias it's OS is way outdated now. With the iPhone having all the features I need I find myself at a crossroads.
Do I bite the bullet and just buy the 3GS at full price or do I wait it out till my contract runs out (Aug 2010) to get the new iPhone next summer... if there is one.
- 07-03-2009, 04:13 AM #2iPhone Beginner
- 78 Posts
I had a similair situation and just bought the iPhone 3GS. From my perspective it's perfect, I mean, next years edition might offer better cpu, gpu, resolution, whatever, but I dont care, this one has everything I need and is a lot faster than any smartphone I had before.
- 07-03-2009, 08:26 AM #3
- 07-03-2009, 08:31 AM #4
- 07-03-2009, 08:36 AM #5
Just my 2 cents. I say wait. If the Bold is doing it for you. Unless you have a couple of hundred bucks you don't need. I am almost in the same boat. I bought my 3G in December and 6 months later they come out with 3GS. Oh Well. I am more tha good with 3.0.
If the Bold is doing it for you why not wait and see if they have something even better next summer?
- 07-03-2009, 09:08 AM #6
- 07-03-2009, 09:45 AM #7
You should wait.
Next year's is going to be revolutionary! If you buy it now ATT will probably make you eligible for the new one next year anyway, but I personally think you should wait.
This iPhone was a minor improvement to the iPhone 3G.. You should really wait. The next one is probably going to be a lot better, and I'm betting it is going to have more blackberry-like hardware features, like an indicator light. And it will probably have full multitasking.
- 07-03-2009, 09:49 AM #8
- 07-03-2009, 10:55 AM #9
I disagree, this was nit a minor update. This update is huge. The only reason people think it's minor is because of form factor. It looks the same so it must be the same. Well I have used both and the 3GS is a huge upgrade IMHO
That being said, it mat be a good idea to wait till next year as there is a big possibilty that this will also be another huge upgrade.
Stop flip flopping back and forth, it is costing you a lot of money. If you were able to have the 1st iPhone for a year then you could have held out a little longer. So just be patient and wait. The current phone didn't even have MMs enabled yet.
- 07-03-2009, 10:58 AM #10
I think I'll wait. It would burn me too much buying the iPhone for the full price knowing I could wait and get a much improved version next year for $200 most likely.
I do think AT&T should allow people to upgrade to the newer iPhones with no penalty or anything. Or, at least allow current iPhone users to upgrade to the new one with no penalty.