What do you expect from the next generation of iPhone???

mullrat

Jun 8, 2008
Visit site
Please god no front facing camera,

i think every country should wise up and ban front facing camera's on any mobile device.

i've seen enough stupidity with them to realize what a bad idea it was and who ever came up with it should be shot.

put it on a phone thats popular with teens as well.. great. all we need is for jonny to be trying to vid cam cyber with his girl while he's on his way to school....

Finally someone with some sense. The bandwidth hogs this "service" will be might cause many cell phone providers to go from unlimited to a limited plan to prevent over use of this useless and meaningless feature. Also it will like you said cause more distractibility on the road or workplace.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
@mullrat it is for vanity photos and video blogging. Rarely anyone video conferences in countries where it is available. It wouldn't harm the network and it would be expensive which would recoup more network costs.

And it's not about what YOU need it's about having the option. I think it's a probably addition to the next iPhone.

DaReaper911

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I was hoping that they changed the phone, i can't even tell that it's a different phone by just looking at it. When they first gave it to me i said "i think you gave me a 3G not a 3GS" lol

ryrycalguy

Jul 14, 2008
twitter.com
I want a new design, better camera, bigger and higher res OLED screen, and better battery life. Maybe multitasking, but I don't care enough to want it that bad. I used to have a BB Curve and although that multitasked, I have never looked back since going to the iPhone.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I love my phone as is and wouldn't give it up.

But for the sake of the thread, my picks are:

* led indicator
* multitasking for 3rd party apps (with a limit of how many)
* xenon flash (I don't need the crappy flash on these U.S. smartphones)

One more... better battery life! I don't need it, but why not. I want to be able to sleep elsewhere and not worry about getting a charge.

Goldentree

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I want it to be able to do most of the things a jailbroken phone can do without the need to jailbreak it. Like themes, sound packs for things like text messages, backgrounding for at least a few third-party apps, etc. And more storage. I kinda missed the boat getting the 3G only a couple months before the 3GS came out, but paying $200 for 8gb (or even 16) of storage is pretty ridiculous when MP3 players like the Zune have 80GB now.

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
What do I expect from the next iPhone? Well... I expect "The World" like every other iPhone nerd does but I'm pretty certain I'll only get about 4 square feet because history definitely repeats itself!!! ;)

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
-High res. OLED screen.
-Multi-core processor system on a chip.
-Able to run a few apps at one time.
-Better battery life, for the love of god Apple you can add 2-3mm to it if it means a bigger battery.
-Better than 3MP camera, at least 5.
-Indicator light.
-Soft touch back.
-Screen made of solid diamond that is unbreakable (lol ;))

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Yup. New notification system, but that will probably come in 3.0 some time this year because the PNS stacks are a big problem.

Hmm what else... It's likely that there will be a new generation processor, not necessarily more than what There is currently because the 3GS runs perfectly. More ram is probable, I can't see 512mb though.. That's a bit much, but it's unlikely that they would put 386.. It's just a weird number.

If HTC's phones and other big smartphone makers start using 512mb a LOT very soon, apple will next year.

Higher screen res is probable because many other smartphones are going HD (480p), even some dumbphones like the enV touch have 800x480 screens...

Text editing kinda sucks in this little box eh? iWant a TiPB forums app! :)

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
@sting7k if they used an OLED screen it would increase battery life and you could fit a whole other phone in there so you'd bet it's going to be a little thinner and the battery a little bigger. OLED provides advantages Apple just can't afford to ignore anymore.

UTVOL06

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Yup. New notification system, but that will probably come in 3.0 some time this year because the PNS stacks are a big problem.

Hmm what else... It's likely that there will be a new generation processor, not necessarily more than what There is currently because the 3GS runs perfectly. More ram is probable, I can't see 512mb though.. That's a bit much, but it's unlikely that they would put 386.. It's just a weird number.

If HTC's phones and other big smartphone makers start using 512mb a LOT very soon, apple will next year.

Higher screen res is probable because many other smartphones are going HD (480p), even some dumbphones like the enV touch have 800x480 screens...

Text editing kinda sucks in this little box eh? iWant a TiPB forums app! :)

I would be perfectly happy with 480P res, OLED, and 3.8"-4.0" Screen size.

As far as the ram it depends on what HTC phones or other WMobile phones start going too. right now the most I see is about 288MB of system ram. With all of the iPhones apps and entertainment functions it really could use 512mb of sys ram if Apple goes full Multitasking in 2010. I mean just think of running ipod, bluetooth stereo, email, sms, and navagation all at the same time...if you want to keep the iPhones lightning speed it will probably need atleast 386mb-512mb of ram.

I do know the next gen processor from ARM is the A9 dual core on 45nm chip. This would be like having two 3GS processors on one phone, but draw less power than one ARM A8 3GS processor.

Last edited:

Suzuku

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Listing them from features that are most likely to least likely:

1. 5 Megapixel camera
2. Higher resolution OLED screen
3. Bluetooth 3.0
5. 802.11n Wi-Fi support
6. Custom made Apple chips based on ARM's Cortex A9 Multi-core chip design
7. Haptic feedback
8. Front facing camera
9. Micro-USB

That's on the hardware side of things at least. It's pretty obvious they'll bump up the camera specs again next year and I also believe they'll begin to up the screen resolution. The cost of an OLED screen will also probably drop to an affordable price by next year so I'd expect Apple to add it to the iPhone's spec sheet. If it's out in time they'll obviously adapt ARM's A9 chip design for greater horse power and more efficient battery life.

In far as software is concerned:

1. An advanced notifications management solution
2. Innovative form of multi-tasking
3. More multi-touch gestures
4. DVD Quality video recording
5. A preview of your notifications and other apps on the iPhone's lock screen
6. More corporate support
7. A complete revamp of the iPhone's home screen

The first six seem like a given but I'm really hoping they revamp the iPhone's home screen UI. It's beginning to look a little bland and old compared to WebOS and Android (especially HTC's implementation with SETA). So yeah, that's my dream iPhone for next year.

EDIT: lol I can't believe I forgot about 64 GB of storage. Also I don't believe the iPhone will ever get Flash. Aside from the fact that Apple is not one of the manufactures listed to be adding Flash 10 to their phones later this year, it's not needed. In a couple years plug-ins like flash will be obsolete thanks to HTML 5's video tag, and Mobile Safari already supports HTML 5 standards. Flash would lag/crash the browser frequently and lower the user experience of the platform. Owning an iPhone is investing in the future.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2