An informal 3GS battery life test

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
Today I decided to run down the battery on my new 3GS (going for the full discharge thing to see if it affects battery life), and I was surprised by how long the little guy kept going.

I started my day at 5:30 am at maybe 97% (it was sitting idle but not charging overnight), with BT streaming of music and while watching a TV show episode at the gym. I had BT, WiFi, and 3G on all day as well as mail set to push for Exchange, MobileMe, and Yahoo! and 15 minute fetch for GMail. Did some driving in my car with a BT headset connection and playing music via the headphone port. Constant email checking throughout the day as well as occasional web browing on both WiFi and 3G. Also a couple hours BT streaming of music both in the morning and afternoon. Only a couple short phone calls (it's a phone too?). By 5:30 pm I was at 20%, by 7:30 pm down to maybe 12%.

I thought that was pretty impressive for a full (14 hour) day's use including battery draining uses like video, BT audio streaming, and push on all day long. True, I had next to no talk time, but that's just my regular usage pattern and I did have a fair amount of data usage.

(Usually I charge both in the car and all day long at my desk- it was hard not to charge it today!)

Last edited:

JonCo

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Yesterday was my first day with the phone. I manage during a phone call 1% for every minute on the phone bassically. 15min call left me at 88% on 3G. I dont see how I could possibly get 5hrs...

We'll see how today goes... Battery life is initially very dissapointing.

GreenLightJerky

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Yesterday was my first day with the phone. I manage during a phone call 1% for every minute on the phone bassically. 15min call left me at 88% on 3G. I dont see how I could possibly get 5hrs...

We'll see how today goes... Battery life is initially very dissapointing.

That seems fast.
Wifi, GPS, Bluetooth on?
Let the battery drain all the way till the phone tells you to charge it (past the 10% warning) and then fully charge it.

iamtone

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Man I can't make it 2pm without charging my battery on my 3Gs I'm callin apple I think I have a defective battery!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner