So My iPhone Screen Scratched , Oleophobic Coat To Blame ?

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
The day I got it I dropped my iPhone 3G S , yes I know - I know. I took two benedryls on my way home and I was KNOCKED OUT. Almost missed my, dropped it bla bla.

How I did it was besides the point. However I feel that the oleophobic screen is to blame. I own a iPhone 3G and I've dropped that phone from a pretty fast moving bike on asphalt ( with a case on ) but the screen never scratched. I dropped the 3G S 2 feet on a linoleum floor and I have a ~1.5 inch scratch by the home button. ={

Do you think that the oleophobic coating on the iPhone 3G S makes geting scratches easier ?

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I posted that exect concern when I heard about the coating. I guess now we know. I am sorry to hear about the screen though.

eratanun

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
did you have a case on the 3gs? that could be a factor as well, as with a case on, it creates somewhat of a lip above the glass screen...

SOV

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
Probably a way for Apple to recieve more money, people having to send their iPhone;s in to have the screen replaced. Its bull****

btown11

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Probably a way for Apple to recieve more money, people having to send their iPhone;s in to have the screen replaced. Its bull****

That's absurd. Also, I don't think the coating has anything to do with the scratch. The screen is still the same, it's akin to putting a sealant on your hardwood floors. If anything, they'd help prevent a deep scratch.

bmfan#IM

May 12, 2009
Visit site
The day I got it I dropped my iPhone 3G S , yes I know - I know. I took two benedryls on my way home and I was KNOCKED OUT. Almost missed my, dropped it bla bla.

How I did it was besides the point. However I feel that the oleophobic screen is to blame. I own a iPhone 3G and I've dropped that phone from a pretty fast moving bike on asphalt ( with a case on ) but the screen never scratched. I dropped the 3G S 2 feet on a linoleum floor and I have a ~1.5 inch scratch by the home button. ={

Do you think that the oleophobic coating on the iPhone 3G S makes geting scratches easier ?

if the scratch is just on the coating im sure you could wash the coating off with some kind of solvent, maybe alcohol

traylorc

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site

That makes sense...Apple deliberately sabotaged their own phone as they try to maintain control of a highly competitive smart phone market. That makes perfect business sense. :rolleyes:

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
eratanun
- No I didn't at the time but I've also late my iphone 3G face down a lot without the case. I just recently stopped using a case on my iPhone. I kinda continued that habit with the new Phone.

bmfan
- I think the oleophobic coat is permanent

eratanun

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
Well there ya go! The front edge of the case kept your touch screen from making contact when you dropped your 3g. Just laying it down faced down won't scratch the screen.... dropping it will, oleophobic coating or not.

borino

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Just noticed couple scratches on my G3S. deep ones too. it is my first iphone so i was babying it while waiting for a case to arrive by mail. did not drop it nor put it anywhere near keys or change or rough surface. i am surprised, because my old S-Ericsson went thru 2 years of abuse with very little damage to the screen... not sure it is the coating though

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
The OP just had some bad luck. The coating has nothing to do with the scratch.

I'm going with that... you didn't mirror the drop, so maybe your 3G never hit the screen first where as the 3Gs did. Maybe it was the angle in which it dropped? or maybe it was the weather, lol.

cre8tivspirit

Dec 30, 2008
Visit site
speaking of the coating, does the addition of this new coating on the screen mean that using something like Ghost Armor as a screen protector will no longer work or be needed?

surfous

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
speaking of the coating, does the addition of this new coating on the screen mean that using something like Ghost Armor as a screen protector will no longer work or be needed?

Oh, heck no. The new coating is permanent, so if you get a scratch in the screen, you're going to be staring at a scratch, oleophobic coating or no.

Of course a screen protector may or may not have oleophobic properties, but you can still wipe oil away whereas a scratch is gonna stay.

I use & recommend the Power Support Anti-glare film set. They sell these at the Apple store for $15 (not sure who else carries them), but they go on very easily (more so than any other screen protector that I've tried for Newton, Palm, iPhone, etc.), no trying to chase bubbles out, and they do resist fingerprints & smudges. Power Support also makes crystal films if you don't like/want the matte anti-glare look, but I can't speak to how those resist fingerprints.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site

I have an Agent 18 Privacy Film on mine and it installed with no problems. I almost think it installed easier than my previous 3G. No bubbles, no nuttin.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
If you read the article from Bill Nye. He confirms that the coating is a type of plastic that has been bonded to the screen so with that said. Yes! It very well could be because of the coating. Plastic is much easier to scratch than glass.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
If you read the article from Bill Nye. He confirms that the coating is a type of plastic that has been bonded to the screen so with that said. Yes! It very well could be because of the coating. Plastic is much easier to scratch than glass.

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

traylorc

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
Before we all come to the undisputed conclusion that the coating increases the likelihood of scratches, let's remember this is one isolated instance. If this same situation starts to impact other iphone customers across the country maybe there is some truth to this assertion.

Until then, it sounds like the OP had the misfortune of dropping his phone and the end result is a scratch.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Nothing wrong with speculation! We dis it with the 3GS for months:) it also might alert someone to be more careful with the screen thereby preventing even more scratches. So I say speculate on, my freinds, speculate on!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods