iPhone newbies - Landscape keyboard?

Casper TFG

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
New to iPhone I want to see if I can transfer my Blackberry (2) "thumb typing" to the iPhone landscape mode rather than the "one finger jab" (or one thumb) vertical keyboard method I see so many iPhone owners doing..

Overall from on line forums, I get the impression iPhone veterans have learned to use the vertical method and are settled with it. Some 'poo poo' the landscape mode as valueless.. but some admit that if they have something long or really important - they do shift over to use to landscape mode..

But now landscape is standard in all aps - I think I will give that a try.. type everything in landscape.. see if I can get some good speeds going..

Aint got the phone yet - just speculatin!

bmfan#IM

May 12, 2009
Visit site
i came from a blackberry storm, i was used to landscape mode. now im the opposite, i find it much faster and easier to type in portrait mode. its just easier, don't have to reach as far...

Ivoryplum

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
I use both of my thumbs in portrait mode and am fast with it.
I have big hands too.
I've gotten so used to it, that I'm actually faster in portrait than I am in landscape. But I'm trying to make the transition. haha.

cdnrs2002

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm also new to iphone (having switched from BB curve) and am still trying to determine which works best for me. I purposely waited until the new OS was out b/c I wanted to be able to type in landscape.

Casper TFG

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Thank for sharing..

two thumbs and big hands in portrait, I didnt think that would ever be possible!

I'm also new to iphone (having switched from BB curve) and am still trying to determine which works best for me. I purposely waited until the new OS was out b/c I wanted to be able to type in landscape.

Yeah we are both on the same page with this... Only time will tell! Lets see how we get on and report back in while.. We might get bored with tipping the device sideways all the time..

rapidblue

Sep 13, 2008
Visit site
I also came over from a BB (almost a year ago). LOVE the new landscape mode - typing a lot faster than I was in portrait mode :D
Just to let you know, the landscape keyboard isn't available in "all" applications - mainly in Messages, E-mail, and Notes, which is where we need it :D

jewelz

May 11, 2009
Visit site
i came from a blackberry storm, i was used to landscape mode. now im the opposite, i find it much faster and easier to type in portrait mode. its just easier, don't have to reach as far...

I completely agree with you. I am and former BB (and BB storm) user and Ive had an iphone for a little more than a month now and I perfer portrait mode to Landscape.

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Sounds more like you completely disagree if you prefer landscape, but...

I also prefer portrait. You just lose too much screen real estate when you switch to landscape.

blane64

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I think I am in a pretty similar situation, I am just a few days ahead of you. I am on iPhone day #3, coming from a dearly loved BB8310. I really liked the physical keyboard and all the little BB shortcuts. My main reservation was the virtual keyboard of the iPhone. I can comfortably 2 thumb type in landscape mode, and find that the single finger peck in portrait mode is actually getting much easier as time goes by. So, i think that you will be fine. I do miss the "Back" arrow that was right by the trackball on my BB. I get tired of going back out to the homescreen, but that is OK.

What I really miss is the profiles I could set up for notifications on the BB. This seems more limited on the iPhone, unless I am missing something.

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
i came over by the bold and can type almost as fast on my iphone with 2 thumbs as i could on my bold. i really like the landscape, but i think that because its the same size as the bold, the portrait seems to work a little better for me. i'm glad to have the option to use either though.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I use landscape or portrait depending on what I'm doing. It I am typing something short and quick...I'll use the one handed portrait method if it is a loger response/reply/email...I use landscape.

rknowlt

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
I use portrait all the time. I use both thumbs even with fairly large hands and type very quickly. I really don't use landscape because it hasn't been an option most of the time that I have had my phone, and do no feel the need to learn a new keyboard after already mastering portrait.

jhartman001#IM

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
I am currently in the process of switching over from Verizon and BB Storm to the iPhone. I was loving the landscape mode for the Storm to type messages and what not. I was somewhat discouraged today because I was using my iPod Touch to send a message and tried to turn it for a landscape mode and it wasn't there! Then I had to do my research and find out it will be with the new 3GS I'm hoping to receive this week.

I like landscape mode but was finding myself trusting the suretype more and more while in portrait mode. I'll give them both a shot when the iPhone gets here.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
The "key" is to trust the Auto-Correction.;) It really works!:)

I love the Landscape mode but I have gotten so use to the portrait mode that I do not always use it. I use both thumbs just like I did with my Treo. I am just as fast in one as the other.

BTW, I have a size 12 ringer finger. You can imagine the thumb! :eek: If I can type with two thumbs anyone can.:)

jewelz

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Sounds more like you completely disagree if you prefer landscape, but...

I also prefer portrait. You just lose too much screen real estate when you switch to landscape.

Thats what I get for typing and not thinking...I ment to type I perfer Portrait to Landscape.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I type more in portrait mode than landscape mode. I also type with two thumbs and also have large fingers. It has become a challenge to me to be able to type in portrait mode just as quickly and accurately in portrait mode as I do in landscape mode. I have gotten a lot better since getting my iPhone about six days ago. I remember typing on my friends iPhone before I got mine. It was a dismal experience. I thought that I could never buy an iPhone because I would never be able to type on it. Now I type faster and more accurately than I did with my BlackBerry Bold. Portrait mode all the way.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I like landscape better than portrait because its easier for me to type with my big fingers/hands..

Losing screen space does kinda stink but its not horrible.

The auto-correction can frustrate me from time to time but usually it gets the job done well if I'm typing on the go in portrait mode.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I prefer portrait view. The letters are spaced too far apart in landscape mode. I feel I have to reach to get to some of the letters. I have become accustomed to the distances in portait mode. Yes I have big fingers so it is not a size thing

On another note. I have noticed that when I am typing on my computers keyboard, that I am expecting auto correction to capitalize the first letter in the sentence. I am also expecting it to auto capitalize the letter "I". Apple needs to implement this into their laptops and desktops.

Last edited:

iSkythe

May 12, 2009
Visit site
I prefer landscape mode for long things, but portrait for the quick texts or emails I send.

On another note. I have noticed that when I am typing on my computers keyboard, that I am expecting auto correction to capitalize the first letter in the sentence. I am also expecting it to auto capitalize the letter "I". Apple needs to implement this into their laptops and desktops.

Agreed.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods