Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    762 Global Posts

Default iPhone newbies - Landscape keyboard?

New to iPhone I want to see if I can transfer my Blackberry (2) "thumb typing" to the iPhone landscape mode rather than the "one finger jab" (or one thumb) vertical keyboard method I see so many iPhone owners doing..

Overall from on line forums, I get the impression iPhone veterans have learned to use the vertical method and are settled with it. Some 'poo poo' the landscape mode as valueless.. but some admit that if they have something long or really important - they do shift over to use to landscape mode..

But now landscape is standard in all aps - I think I will give that a try.. type everything in landscape.. see if I can get some good speeds going..

Aint got the phone yet - just speculatin!
    Moved over summer of 09 from Blackberry 8900 to iPhone 3GS. Still not finding typing as easy and badly want a spall chakker. But appart from that it's all good.
    iMore Beginner

i came from a blackberry storm, i was used to landscape mode. now im the opposite, i find it much faster and easier to type in portrait mode. its just easier, don't have to reach as far...
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts

I use both of my thumbs in portrait mode and am fast with it.
    I have big hands too.
    I've gotten so used to it, that I'm actually faster in portrait than I am in landscape. But I'm trying to make the transition. haha.
    iPhone Nanite

I'm also new to iphone (having switched from BB curve) and am still trying to determine which works best for me. I purposely waited until the new OS was out b/c I wanted to be able to type in landscape.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    762 Global Posts

Thank for sharing..

two thumbs and big hands in portrait, I didnt think that would ever be possible!

Quote Originally Posted by cdnrs2002 View Post
    I'm also new to iphone (having switched from BB curve) and am still trying to determine which works best for me. I purposely waited until the new OS was out b/c I wanted to be able to type in landscape.
    Yeah we are both on the same page with this... Only time will tell! Lets see how we get on and report back in while.. We might get bored with tipping the device sideways all the time..
    Moved over summer of 09 from Blackberry 8900 to iPhone 3GS. Still not finding typing as easy and badly want a spall chakker. But appart from that it's all good.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    128 Global Posts

I also came over from a BB (almost a year ago). LOVE the new landscape mode - typing a lot faster than I was in portrait mode
    Just to let you know, the landscape keyboard isn't available in "all" applications - mainly in Messages, E-mail, and Notes, which is where we need it
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by bmfan View Post
    i came from a blackberry storm, i was used to landscape mode. now im the opposite, i find it much faster and easier to type in portrait mode. its just easier, don't have to reach as far...
    I completely agree with you. I am and former BB (and BB storm) user and Ive had an iphone for a little more than a month now and I perfer portrait mode to Landscape.
    Last edited by jewelz; 06-22-2009 at 11:10 PM. Reason: errors
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Sounds more like you completely disagree if you prefer landscape, but...

I also prefer portrait. You just lose too much screen real estate when you switch to landscape.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

I think I am in a pretty similar situation, I am just a few days ahead of you. I am on iPhone day #3, coming from a dearly loved BB8310. I really liked the physical keyboard and all the little BB shortcuts. My main reservation was the virtual keyboard of the iPhone. I can comfortably 2 thumb type in landscape mode, and find that the single finger peck in portrait mode is actually getting much easier as time goes by. So, i think that you will be fine. I do miss the "Back" arrow that was right by the trackball on my BB. I get tired of going back out to the homescreen, but that is OK.

What I really miss is the profiles I could set up for notifications on the BB. This seems more limited on the iPhone, unless I am missing something.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    2,338 Global Posts

i came over by the bold and can type almost as fast on my iphone with 2 thumbs as i could on my bold. i really like the landscape, but i think that because its the same size as the bold, the portrait seems to work a little better for me. i'm glad to have the option to use either though.
    iPhone Pro

I use landscape or portrait depending on what I'm doing. It I am typing something short and quick...I'll use the one handed portrait method if it is a loger response/reply/email...I use landscape.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 6

I use portrait all the time. I use both thumbs even with fairly large hands and type very quickly. I really don't use landscape because it hasn't been an option most of the time that I have had my phone, and do no feel the need to learn a new keyboard after already mastering portrait.
    64 GB iP5
    13" MacBook Pro
    iPhone Nanite

I am currently in the process of switching over from Verizon and BB Storm to the iPhone. I was loving the landscape mode for the Storm to type messages and what not. I was somewhat discouraged today because I was using my iPod Touch to send a message and tried to turn it for a landscape mode and it wasn't there! Then I had to do my research and find out it will be with the new 3GS I'm hoping to receive this week.

I like landscape mode but was finding myself trusting the suretype more and more while in portrait mode. I'll give them both a shot when the iPhone gets here.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    870 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS6

The "key" is to trust the Auto-Correction. It really works!

I love the Landscape mode but I have gotten so use to the portrait mode that I do not always use it. I use both thumbs just like I did with my Treo. I am just as fast in one as the other.

BTW, I have a size 12 ringer finger. You can imagine the thumb! If I can type with two thumbs anyone can.
    JB iPhone 3G => 16G iPhone 4 iOS5, 16G iPad1 iOS5 => iP5 32Gig White, iPad4 32Gig Black

Also up and running on Twitter @AUDad

Also on Google+ if you are on there.
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Sounds more like you completely disagree if you prefer landscape, but...

I also prefer portrait. You just lose too much screen real estate when you switch to landscape.
    Thats what I get for typing and not thinking...I ment to type I perfer Portrait to Landscape.
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    567 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I type more in portrait mode than landscape mode. I also type with two thumbs and also have large fingers. It has become a challenge to me to be able to type in portrait mode just as quickly and accurately in portrait mode as I do in landscape mode. I have gotten a lot better since getting my iPhone about six days ago. I remember typing on my friends iPhone before I got mine. It was a dismal experience. I thought that I could never buy an iPhone because I would never be able to type on it. Now I type faster and more accurately than I did with my BlackBerry Bold. Portrait mode all the way.
    TiPb Fourm Staff

iOS Version
    iOS 7.0

I like landscape better than portrait because its easier for me to type with my big fingers/hands..

Losing screen space does kinda stink but its not horrible.

The auto-correction can frustrate me from time to time but usually it gets the job done well if I'm typing on the go in portrait mode.
    Twitter = JHamilton24
    iMore Intermediate

I too prefer the portrait view.
    iMore Guru

I prefer portrait view. The letters are spaced too far apart in landscape mode. I feel I have to reach to get to some of the letters. I have become accustomed to the distances in portait mode. Yes I have big fingers so it is not a size thing

On another note. I have noticed that when I am typing on my computers keyboard, that I am expecting auto correction to capitalize the first letter in the sentence. I am also expecting it to auto capitalize the letter "I". Apple needs to implement this into their laptops and desktops.
    Last edited by chobbs1; 09-27-2009 at 01:20 PM.
    iPhone Beginner

I prefer landscape mode for long things, but portrait for the quick texts or emails I send.

Quote Originally Posted by chobbs1 View Post
    On another note. I have noticed that when I am typing on my computers keyboard, that I am expecting auto correction to capitalize the first letter in the sentence. I am also expecting it to auto capitalize the letter "I". Apple needs to implement this into their laptops and desktops.
    Agreed.
    iPhone Newbie

+1

The people who were poo pooing about having landscape pre 3.0 were just not efficient type-ers.

I type so much faster in portrait just from all the keys being closer together and just let the iPhone correct the rest which is pretty damn efficient!

It drives me crazy from people still typing incorrectly on the iPhone keypad (tap aiming every key and backspacing when typed incorrectly)...it takes too much "energy" and lack of speed typing that way.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jewelz View Post
    I completely agree with you. I am and former BB (and BB storm) user and Ive had an iphone for a little more than a month now and I perfer portrait mode to Landscape.
    I also agree. Since I got use to the previous phones I had. Most commonly in portrait view.
    iPhone Intermediate

Is there any way of doing it? I had blackberry before. I tried to follow what you said. But could not do that. Let me know if it is possible.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts

same here, hate typin on the storm, with the iphone, the landscape keyboard seems like a bonus
    iPhone 32gb 3GS black
    3.1.2 Jailbroken with blackra1n