iPhone Ringtone Help!! (using Aukido)

swoosh1014

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys,
I am trying to sync some ringtones to my new iPhone 3GS and am having some trouble and looking for help. And yes, I have read the guides and still am having issues. I download the file and then click play and it appears in my iTunes library under ringtones. However, when I go to sync it to my iPhone it does not show up there. And when I click on my iPhone summary and go over to ringtones and see the sync options, no ringtones are listed below. I have a feeling I have a setting wrong or something but have no idea what it could be. Any ideas or hints would be greatly appreciated!

iphone_aggie

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
You're going to need to write step-by-step of what you actually did, because the itunes method works fairly well and it is pretty easy. I won't repeat the method here, since you said you read the guide.

swoosh1014

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
What is the itunes method? I used a method with through a website called Aukido where you upload your song, clip it, download it, then import it into iTunes. But when I would go to sync it from the ringtone section it wouldnt show up on my phone. Hope that helps

iphone_aggie

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Ok, the iPhone 3G is a pretty damned nice phone when you buy it, but let's face it, the ringtone selection SUCKS. You can always buy ringtone capable songs from iTunes and pay an extra $.99 to snip a 30 second ringtone out of it, but what if you want a movie theme song, a cartoon show theme song from your years as a kid, or some funky sound effects you found on the web?

Here's what you do if you have a Windows machine, or have a 10.4.11 (Tiger) Mac. (If you want to use a full song that isn't 45 seconds or less, you need to find software to crop the section you want. Any Mac can use GarageBand for this, and I am sure there are free Windows solutions as well. To ease the pain of this step, I just download pre-made ringtones in MP3 format and go from there.)

1. Find a ringtone. I personally get all mine from CrackBerry.com or TuneUsIn.com because they are already in short ringtone format and I don't have to edit or crop them (it has to be 45 seconds or less).

2. Download the ringtone to your desktop

3. Open iTunes and go to your Preferences (might be called Settings on Windows) > Advanced Tab > Importing sub-tab > Find where it says "Import Using" and set it to AAC encoder.

4. On a Mac, double click it and it will automatically add to your iTunes library and start playing. On a PC, it will most likely open WMP automatically, so just drag it to your iTunes library.

5. Find the rintone you just dragged to your iTunes library and right click it, then select "Convert to AAC."

6. It will create a duplicate of the ringtone in AAC format and should start playing it automatically.

7. Drag the file to your desktop. (Since the new AAC format ringtone starts playing automatically, it will have a speaker next to it, which makes it easy to determine which file you need to drag)

8. Delete the two copies of the ringtone from your general Music list (you don't have to, but I don't think you want ringtones randomly playing next time you do a song shuffle...)

9. See that ringtone you just dragged to your desktop? It should be "songname.m4a." Now, simply change the file extension to .m4r. You can leave the file name alone, or you can make it whatever you want, the important thing is that you change the extension to .m4r.

10. On a Mac, double click it and it will auto add to your Ringtones list in iTunes. On a PC, you may have to manually drag it to the list.

You're done. You now have custom ringtones on your iPhone for free, and they can be whatever sounds you can find... as long as they are shorter than 45 seconds.

I know it looks like a bunch of steps, but it isn't. The whole process takes maybe 30 seconds after you do it once or twice.

What is the itunes method? I used a method with through a website called Aukido where you upload your song, clip it, download it, then import it into iTunes. But when I would go to sync it from the ringtone section it wouldnt show up on my phone. Hope that helps

Try the above...

iphone_aggie

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
......however, re-reading your post, it says you already have the ringtone in your itunes library, so I'm not sure why it is not getting synced. Are you doing a "manual" sync?

swoosh1014

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I have tried selecting manual sync as well as automatic syncing. The whole syncing thing gets a bit overwhelming to me at times though. What syncing options do you use to get yours to work.

swoosh1014

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Ok, so I don't have to worry about anything being removed without my wanting from my iPhone whenever I connect it to iTunes that way correct?

iphone_aggie

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
BTW, my wife is currently on the computer that has the itunes that is synced to my iphone, so I can't look at itunes right now to give you too much else. I just remember that the ringtones were there to be synced and I synced them. This could be a 3GS issue perhaps, but I don't see why.

iphone_aggie

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Ok, so I don't have to worry about anything being removed without my wanting from my iPhone whenever I connect it to iTunes that way correct?

Correct, it is the only way to fly when using iphone. Otherwise, you run into the danger of losing everything (and it did happen to me when I was a newbie iphoner). In manual, you have the control. Just make sure to check that you're in manual before syncing and what you want to sync is what you want (i.e., make sure the stuff you don't want to sync is "greyed out" or not selected.

Oh, and don't come shoot me if you mess up!!

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
if the ringtones are showing up in your itunes, just make sure that you have the option checked to synch the ringtones as well. just in case. :)

iphone_aggie

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Here's another thing that I do to make sure that I can't lose my music no matter what. I have several internal hard drives and USB external , so I make backups of my music on those and run itunes off my main hard drive where the original music is. If you lose all the music on your iphone, then you can just re-sync. If somehow, you delete all the itunes music and it deletes what is on the hard drive, then you can just go to the backup hard drive(s) and bring it back over.

moojoo

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I also got lot of ringtones for my iPhone at www@iphoneringtonesmaker@org Free iPhone ringtones download | Make free iPhone Ringtones by iPhone ringtone maker[/url]

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner