You decide: OS 3.0 slower or faster?

Is your iPhone (1st gen or 3G) faster or slower with 3.0?

• 3.0 is slower

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • 3.0 is faster

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • I don`t know/it`s about the same

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters

stooovie

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Mine got definitely more laggy and slow. It seems memory usage is massively higher, so there is very little RAM for apps. For example, FileAid displayed my pdfs and docs in few secs and rarely (if ever) crashed, now it crashes all the time. 2XL Motocross is super laggy. The 3G phone is almost empty with no kind of hack or jailbreak, but it feels like heavily modified jailbroken 3G with all kinds of Mobile Substrate addons. A real letdown.

How does it work for YOU?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I've been using it for months and I can honestly say it is much quicker. If you are having issues with lag I suggest restoring your phone as new. That may or may not fix your issue. Most likely it would.

stooovie

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
But it WAS restored as a new phone :( This is interesting, because there are no variations that would make one`s 3G slower and another 3G faster, provided both were restored to 3.0 as new.

Also, I don`t get the point of Shake to shuffle being only operational in unlocked state. If I can reach to my pocket and unlock the phone, I can as well push the Next button... I thought I could shuffle from a pocket, removing the need to manipulate with the phone.

Let`s see what others have to say. And thanks!

Last edited:

Kannon#AC

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
My 3G seems sluggish as well. Opening the message app is definitely slower. Safari has crashed a few times while browsing sites I normally visit. Even opening emails seems to be slower. There is a lag time between when I tap the email and when the text in the body of the email appears.

stooovie

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
With 3.0, every kind of list that is scrollable jerks while scrolling, as it used to do on 2.2.1 when I really overdid jailbreaking and modifying.

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
I can't really say... I had been using 2.2.1 jailbreak, with a good bit of JB apps installed. I don't think it's fair to compare a JB version to a non-JB version.

3.0 non-JB is definitely faster than my 2.2.1 JB. We'll see how it goes after we get the 3.0 JB.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
After playing with 3.0 for hours yesterday and this morning I think it is noticably faster than 2.2.1 OS. Animations are for loading are still smooth where as before they would jerky a bit after just a little use. Things seem to run a little smoother as well, typing out this MSG on my iPhone the keyboard has no lag at all.

stooovie

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I know it`s kind of unfair, but if jailbroken 3.0 is any slower than clean 3.0, it will be really unacceptable.

Plus, the thing drains battery like there`s no tomorrow. Lasted only 10 hours of general usage, I could easily do a full day of abut the same with 2.2.1. And I`ve got Wifi dropouts too.

Sorry to sound like a whiner, but this is how it is for me :(

antonioj

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
I've been using it for months and I can honestly say it is much quicker. If you are having issues with lag I suggest restoring your phone as new. That may or may not fix your issue. Most likely it would.

I also feel it faster. Nevertheless, i think there?s less RAM available, and that i need to use the freememory app more frequently

I don?t remember the last time i got a crash on safari. On 2.2.1 it happened all the time.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Mine's a mixed bag. Overall it's a little faster,but in Messages app I have to push send a few times to get it to work.

texags08

Sep 8, 2008
Visit site
Mine's a mixed bag. Overall it's a little faster,but in Messages app I have to push send a few times to get it to work.

Delete some of those year long conversations with people... i did this and it made it run much faster, also delete some of the converations at the bottom of the list with people you dont talk to... The good thig is that you can delete all of the messages you dont want and keep the ones you really need by forwarding or deleting individual messages...