Anyone here tethering via AT&T like me? If so how much data did you use so far?

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I have been tethering for 45 min via the little 'hack' from ben.at. And man, 3G is quick, shows how a slow OS andlimited Safari really slows 3G down. Regardless, man the tethering is great. I've used 56mb so far, I doubt I would do much more than 100mb in a month, but a great quick internet fix none the less!:cool:

dooks88

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
i tried using a method posted on engadget. (I wont post the link directly in case apple/at&t gets pissed) I had the option to enable tethering. However I couldnt get my macbook pro to recognize the iphone modem. it also killed my visual voicemail. I restored for now. hope there is some sort of fix soon.

foster2380

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
i tried using a method posted on engadget. (I wont post the link directly in case apple/at&t gets pissed) I had the option to enable tethering. However I couldnt get my macbook pro to recognize the iphone modem. it also killed my visual voicemail. I restored for now. hope there is some sort of fix soon.

Was this only for mac's too? Or is the love shared with PC's?

dooks88

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Was this for mac's too? Or is the love shared with PC's?

to enable tethering on the iphone, you simply go to a certain website on your iphone and install a file. very easy.

as for connecting the iphone to your computer for tethering, it will work mac or pc. just follow normal network/modem procedures.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
to enable tethering on the iphone, you simply go to a certain website on your iphone and install a file. very easy.

as for connecting the iphone to your computer for tethering, it will work mac or pc. just follow normal network/modem procedures.

What website do you go to?

foster2380

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
A quote from the link to the Engadget article: "Techradar reports that O2 UK has responded to the tethering hack saying, "we reserve the right to charge customers making modem use of their iPhone or disconnect them." This assumes O2 can identify such customers."

Aside from increased usage (if you went crazy on YouTube or something), are there any other ways a carrier would know if this was something you did?

By the way, thanks Dooks!

beachboy808

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
go to this site, and then download the tethering package

help.benm.at/help.php

that site will give you what you need to start tethering your phone to your computer. It only works with a 3g or 3gS phone though.

PSM

May 30, 2005
headsetchatter.com
I finally installed the file too. It's working great, but I'm still nervous that this method may be easier for AT&T to track than something like PDANet.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I finally installed the file too. It's working great, but I'm still nervous that this method may be easier for AT&T to track than something like PDANet.

I am not sure that they (AT&T) can track it. I think as long as you don't go crazy and use it as your main method of getting on the internet with your computer, you will be fine. Just keep an eye on your usage and don't go over the 5G "limit" of your "Unlimited" data.:mad: As others have said, just don't go downloading tons of movies or spending all day watching YouTube.:rolleyes:

I personally don't plan to use this all that much. Don't get me wrong. It is GREAT to have,:D but I use my iPhone as a Netbook already when I am on the road traveling. I do not take my laptop much anymore on quick trips. This will come in handy for those times I have to have a full laptop and I am in the middle of nowhere and I can't find a WiFi hotspot. Which has happened a couple of times.:rolleyes: Now I am don't have to worry about it!

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Guys, if your Visual Voicemail stops working, go into "Reset" and select "Reset Network Settings" to fix it.

Tethering works great!

rijc99

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site
After installing the tethering package and resetting network settings. Without having tethered at all, the battery seemed to drain quite a bit faster.

Not sure if it was my install that caused the problem since my VVM didn't work even with the reset trick. Going to restore and try again.

How's battery life after the package for everyone?

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
Well, i haven't used the tethering hack much until this month. To date I have used 5432.64 MB. How many GB is that?

I did go a little crazy at the beginning of the month, I watched a Amazon movie and a little Hulu. I am so surprised at how fast this is!!!!

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Well, i haven't used the tethering hack much until this month. To date I have used 5432.64 MB. How many GB is that?

I did go a little crazy at the beginning of the month, I watched a Amazon movie and a little Hulu. I am so surprised at how fast this is!!!!

You went over the 5GB cap :eek::eek::eek:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73