alcohol + iphone?

Mushy2012

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Will using an alcohol swab to clean the outside of my iphone damage it at all? The swabs are all I have at the moment but I'd rather be safe than sorry...

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
You know what works?

Baby wipes!

I use Pampers Sensitive Wipes (I have a 20 month old), and they do an excellent job of cleaning away grease, etc. Never had a problem.

robbiebisme

May 31, 2009
Visit site
most likely u will have no issue but there is always a chance i would recomend using distilled water or hydrogen peroxide if u dont have one of the many cleaners they make for elecronics and as always turn off the phone before cleaning i would say take the battery out to prevent any accidental shorts but u know its an iphone and thats not possible just make sure u are using a controlled amount and u should be fine but just aware things can go wrong using alchol

bosox0898

May 24, 2009
Visit site
I believe that most "electronics cleaners" at least contain(if not their primary ingredient) isopropyl alcohol. I would much rather use alchohol than distiller water (99.9% pure alchohol is still less conductive than 99.9% pure water.) I wouldn't put any liquid anywhere near any contacts but that's what they make canned air for.

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
You know what works?

Baby wipes!

I use Pampers Sensitive Wipes (I have a 20 month old), and they do an excellent job of cleaning away grease, etc. Never had a problem.

Just make sure you use a NEW one, or you wont be happy with the results :p:D

Last edited by a moderator:

bosox0898

May 24, 2009
Visit site
what is the reasoning for not using alcohol?? Not being cocky, just curious. I use iso-alc everyday cleaning sensitive industrial electronics with no adverse reaction. i've been using it on my iPhone since i bought it, mainly because it doesn't make the screen all streaky.

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
i've used the lens wipes for my glasses, they have alcohol on them. i dont see how it would hurt the glass. i of course, could be very wrong as well. ive been using the cloth that came with the phone as well. i keep it in my sunglass case. it works very very well! i was surprised at what it could do actually.

DDAY

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
I use ammonia-free Windex, sprayed on a paper towel, to clean mine. I think the iPhone 3GS will have a streak-free coating on it, so using alcohol on that may f#$% it up.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
It isn't the recommended way. what is the reason you want to use it so badly? Personally I have not done all the research and development on the IPhone so I cannot tell you why. I do applaud you for your curiosity...never stop asking why. In this case, though, even if you find out you can use it will it really matter when wiping it with a damp cloth works fantastically?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox