Ability to force quit in 3.0?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I was just wondering, is anyone else having trouble force-quitting applications in 3.0 (GM build)?

I can't force quit iPod, mail, or safari. Maybe apple omitted this to really push 3G owners to get a 3G for faster performance..? Lmao

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
They changed the long hold home to voice command on the 3G S, so now to force quit hold the power button till you get the slide to power off, then hold the home button until the program force quits, about 6 seconds.

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
I was just wondering, is anyone else having trouble force-quitting applications in 3.0 (GM build)?

I can't force quit iPod, mail, or safari. Maybe apple omitted this to really push 3G owners to get a 3G for faster performance..? Lmao

This was by design. Shutter gave a good explanation over at EIC.
ust saw this on macrumors and tried it on my ipod app, seems to work.

"Prior to iPhone OS 3.0 beta, pressing and holding the home button would force quit an application. This would also free up memory from Apple's background-capable applications like Safari and Mail.

Well, this method to force quit no longer works.

To force quit an application in 3.0, press and hold the sleep/wake button until the slide to power off screen appears, then press and hold the home button until the application quits (about six seconds).

The question is, what does Apple have planned for pressing and holding the home button in the final version on 3.0?"

Force Quit in 3.0 - iPhone Forums

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Not really, have the same action have different results on different versions of the device is very unapple. They want it to be the same actions across platforms.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Because they want a seamless experience from one iPhone to the next. You notice in their announcements how they judiciously use the word seamless....it's their thing.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Well it's not like their goal is to have people simultaneously using all different models of the iPhone. I think it's un-apple for them to REMOVE functionality that was a lot simpler before in favour of a new way to do the same thing which takes more time and is more difficult. -_-- it sucks.

robbiebisme

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Not really, have the same action have different results on different versions of the device is very unapple. They want it to be the same actions across platforms.

if thats entirely true then why is it that a phone more then capable of doing mms has only now recived it including the original iphone that will not be getting mms or why video recording is only on the 3gs the platforms are changing apps will be phone specific soon the expierence is not the same across the board

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
because these features will not work as well as they would on the new phone with upgraded hardware. sure they probably could have made them work with the lesser hardware but it would not have been an enjoyable experience.

the basic software that comes with the phone will have all the same features across the board. the only thing limiting the 2g and 3g is hardware. you are probably right about the apps in the app store.

apple has done the same thing with their computers, I know, I have been victim to this with my laptops. They support the old hardware as long as they can but then they start phasing it out as it becomes too problematic to support. the user is then left with a choice 1. keep the old computer and older software and continue as is or 2. upgrade to the newer hardware. It's called progress and either you move up or get left behind.

robbiebisme

May 31, 2009
Visit site
i understand that im just saying there is no reason any of the phones could not do mms from the start including the original iphone since ever the razor can do it with no problem its not a matter of hardware with some of the things they are saying it is. i understand that its easier to just cut something off but its still just an illusion from apple for them to tell u everything is the same and great and then be like this one is faster then one cant do mms then one can video record these ones cant it doesnt bother me to much because im a gadget junkie so the latest and greatest is a must have for me but i kinda feel bad for people who have older models who i feel are being let down or lied to

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
if thats entirely true then why is it that a phone more then capable of doing mms has only now recived it including the original iphone that will not be getting mms or why video recording is only on the 3gs the platforms are changing apps will be phone specific soon the expierence is not the same across the board

I didn't say features, I said actions. The actions to invoke the features that are the same across all three phones will be the same, giving you a seamless transition from one phone to the next.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods