$499 was a discount on the 3G?

PSM

May 30, 2005
headsetchatter.com
I wrote to AT&T's customer service asking why I wasn't eligible for the subsidized price, since the last time I bought a subsidized phone was in Oct 2007.

Well they told me that when I bought my 3G for $499 and signed a new contract, that contract gave me the phone for a discounted price, thus resetting my eligibility from that date. Is this news to anyone else? I don't recall the option to buy the phone without a contract for more than $499, so what exactly was I getting a discount from? I thought that because I wasn't paying $299, I was not resetting my upgrade clock.

I feel like we've been screwed here. Is this standard in the industry that there are two levels of subsidy, both of which reset the date at which you can get a discounted phone? I'm away from home and can't look at what the contract said.

I'm curious to hear what other people think, and if anybody is in a position to do a little investigation into whether this is right.

PSM

May 30, 2005
headsetchatter.com
If you buy a new iphone AT&T adds 2 years to contract.
Yeah, I have no problem with that. But was anyone aware that buying a 3G last year at $499 counted as a "discounted" price, making you ineligible for a discount for another 2 years, just as if you had paid $299?

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I wrote to AT&T's customer service asking why I wasn't eligible for the subsidized price, since the last time I bought a subsidized phone was in Oct 2007.

Well they told me that when I bought my 3G for $499 and signed a new contract, that contract gave me the phone for a discounted price, thus resetting my eligibility from that date. Is this news to anyone else? I don't recall the option to buy the phone without a contract for more than $499, so what exactly was I getting a discount from? I thought that because I wasn't paying $299, I was not resetting my upgrade clock.

I feel like we've been screwed here. Is this standard in the industry that there are two levels of subsidy, both of which reset the date at which you can get a discounted phone? I'm away from home and can't look at what the contract said.

I'm curious to hear what other people think, and if anybody is in a position to do a little investigation into whether this is right.

Until a few months ago you could not buy the iPhone from AT&T or Apple without a 2 year contract. Only in the last few months did they come out with commitment free pricing on the iPhone. And let's face it, whether you bought it online or in the store, you signed the contract, how could you not know you signed a contract. They tell you, "I need you to sign this, it is your contract it says..blah, blah blah etc..."

And the pricing for no contract is 599 and 699, so it was a 200 dollar discount.

iphonemilk

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
Guys guys guys , one thing I do know a new law was passed or is being passed that will give us more protection against this stuff and help to remove these long contracts.

Either way I'm willin to bet if the iPhone was on any other carrier even verizon the same crap would be happening

Thts why I laugh when people get mad at ATT and wish for verizon.

Thats like not like being burned but enjoying being drowned

Either way it's bad

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
I was aware of that from the get go and I made sure I could upgrade for the 299 price.

I knew that if you weren't eligible for an upgrade you would have to pay more and I don't think Apple or at&t made that clear enough. Now they made it a lot more clear.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Yeah either way reset your eligibility. If you paid 499 you still got a 200$ discount.

As far as paying 499, I'm skipping the 3G S because I got 199/299 price last year, and if you pay 499, you'll keep paying 499 every year, lol

For what I use my phone for, the 3G is good enough until I'm eligible. I'm not all about wasting money right now.

I had a weak point last night where I considered selling my 3G and using the money towards the 3G S at 499 for a 32GB, but changed my mind.

PSM

May 30, 2005
headsetchatter.com
If you paid 499 you still got a 200$ discount.
See, this is what I think was never made clear when the 3G came out. Since unlike now, there was no option to pay $699, and the fact that $499 was a discount was not emphasized, I think many people like me took it to mean that Apple had simply managed to make the full price of the phone $100 lower than the 2G.

It seems like some people knew that, so maybe I just missed that point.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Buyer beware! Sales people are not your buddies. you said it yourself you "took it to mean", kinda sounds like an assumption. never assume, always know.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner