Is Apple rushing things?

CHiRS

Sep 24, 2008
chrislae.posterous.com
More than anything, I was excited to see more on the 3.0 update yesterday. I had a feeling that they would unveil a new phone, but I honestly thought it would have been more than what it is. More than likely I'll be hanging in to my 3G handset untill the 4th Gen version comes out. If this one had the front-facing cam for iChat/Video calls, I wouldve been sold.

So here's my question to you:

Do you think Apple rushed the release of this model to compete with the Pre?

Should they have waited and come out with a version that would've been the one phone to rule them all?

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
More than anything, I was excited to see more on the 3.0 update yesterday. I had a feeling that they would unveil a new phone, but I honestly thought it would have been more than what it is. More than likely I'll be hanging in to my 3G handset untill the 4th Gen version comes out. If this one had the front-facing cam for iChat/Video calls, I wouldve been sold.

So here's my question to you:

Do you think Apple rushed the release of this model to compete with the Pre?

Should they have waited and come out with a version that would've been the one phone to rule them all?

I think this is a legit sentiment. But, the more I read different posters' opinions, the more I realize that we were all expecting more than was actually intended to be delivered. There doesn't appear to be anything in the 3Gs' upgraded hardware to indicate "half-baked" or not ready for prime time. The iPhone 3Gs appears to be a mature extension of the 3G.

With regard to Palm, Apple is firing off the 8 Gb 3G point blank at the Pre. The $99 price tag for potential Pre users (those within Sprint who are eligible for upgrade to Pre, and those outside of Sprint who are looking anxiously at the Pre) is a calculated undercut of Sprint.

The iPhone 3Gs will be next in my iPhone evolutionary chain.

Frozen001

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
iPhoneJunkie is totally correct. Given what is state of the are on the hardware end, I do not think Apple really can do more with what is available with out sacraficing some where else, like size/weight, battery life, etc. Not to mention Apple does not really want to be blamed for crashing a carriers network. It is a fine line they have to walk with keeping end users like us happy and also keeping the carriers happy.

The Reptile

Jul 21, 2008
Visit site
I have every confidence that Apple has a prototype iPhone with a front facing camera made. I think that they question the feasibility of releasing it now given the current state of carriers, not just AT&T, using 3G or the current hardware component makers. My sense is that they're waiting for 4G or for their new hardware hires to deliver something that the current hardware manufacturers do not have yet.

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I think that Apple may have thrown AT&T under the bus by moving up the release of 3.0 and 3GS to compete with the Pre (no MMS, no tethering). My bet is that they originally were going to release both in July and moved it to Mid June to compete with the Pre. AT&T was probably getting set to have MMS (and tethering?) ready in mid July and couldn't make the new release date.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I think the 3GS is more of low hanging fruit with things they can add fairly easily to still be one of the higher end phones on the market and get people that are still on the first gen phone to upgrade now that they are running out of contract and available for cheap upgrades.

The $99 3G phone is to attract a larger userbase, the more people they get on the phone, using apps, the harder it will be for them to want to move to another phone.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Did they rush things ? I think so because they've kept with their july release dates for two years.

Things are changing though. We have a more competitive market and you have to sell more with more competition.

Thats why price points with the Macs and iPhones have changed so much.

In the end, the economy is playing a roll. Couple years ago the iPhone was 599... now it's 99.

Off topic but I'm glad for the 29 dollar upgrade to leopard - yay =] lol.

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
Competition is good. Keep the OEMs and carriers on their toes. Time is not a luxury in this business. Close your eyes, and the entire paradigm could change.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro