OK, I'll be in Hawaii on vacation next week, but would like to upgrade to the new OS 3.0 on the 17th. I'll have my laptop with me, but I'm finding out that you can't sync with iTunes via two different sources - my PC has iTunes installed and is where I primarily sync.

Is there any way I can upgrade next week using my laptop?
    06-09-2009 04:49 AM
    I think it has to be the computer that you sync your music and apps with.
    06-09-2009 07:39 AM
    Sources meaning internet ?
    I haven't heard of that however, as long as you do everything from the same computer I'm sure you will be fine.
    06-09-2009 07:49 AM
    OK, I'll be in Hawaii on vacation next week, but would like to upgrade to the new OS 3.0 on the 17th. I'll have my laptop with me, but I'm finding out that you can't sync with iTunes via two different sources - my PC has iTunes installed and is where I primarily sync.

Is there any way I can upgrade next week using my laptop?
    That won't be a problem. I sync my iPhone with my Mac at home. When I've been on travel, and an update has been released, I've downloaded the update to my Windows laptop and updated the OS.
    06-09-2009 08:22 AM
    There is a tutorial on iClarified on how to sync an iPhone with two pcs, by finding an XML reference number and changing an xml file on the second pc. I am not sure if you could trick your phone into thinking it was your pc and update from that? I guess you woudl just choose not to sync anything, then update teh OS. Let me know if you try.
    06-09-2009 09:21 AM
    That won't be a problem. I sync my iPhone with my Mac at home. When I've been on travel, and an update has been released, I've downloaded the update to my Windows laptop and updated the OS.
    Ummm....how exactly? iTunes seems to want to run on a single source (like my home PC) and not on two different sources (home PC AND laptop).

Both machines are running Vista.
    06-10-2009 05:02 AM
    There is a tutorial on iClarified on how to sync an iPhone with two pcs, by finding an XML reference number and changing an xml file on the second pc. I am not sure if you could trick your phone into thinking it was your pc and update from that? I guess you woudl just choose not to sync anything, then update teh OS. Let me know if you try.
    Do you have a direct link? All I see there is jailbreak tutorials....which I'm not interested in doing.
    06-10-2009 05:05 AM
    06-10-2009 05:58 AM
    You can upgrade on another computer, but you have to do it as an update only and not do a restore.
    06-10-2009 08:10 AM
    Here is some more info:

How to sync iphone to two computers [Archive] - Mac Forums[/url]
    Will this work on a Vista based laptop? The instructions are based on a MacBook Pro.
    06-10-2009 08:44 AM
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Sync Your iPhone With Multiple Computers there are two sets of instructions, first in Mac second in Vista.

Let me know how you get on
    06-10-2009 01:20 PM
    there are two sets of instructions, first in Mac second in Vista.

Let me know how you get on

Beautiful! It looks reasonably straight forward - I'll give it a try tonight!
    06-10-2009 02:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD