Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    JBHII's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    77 Posts

    Default How do I upgrade to the new 3.0 OS next week while on vacation?

    OK, I'll be in Hawaii on vacation next week, but would like to upgrade to the new OS 3.0 on the 17th. I'll have my laptop with me, but I'm finding out that you can't sync with iTunes via two different sources - my PC has iTunes installed and is where I primarily sync.

    Is there any way I can upgrade next week using my laptop?
  2. #2  
    Brickman's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    840 Posts
    Global Posts
    870 Global Posts

    Default

    I think it has to be the computer that you sync your music and apps with.
  3. #3  
    OmariJames's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    465 Posts
    Global Posts
    472 Global Posts

    Default

    Sources meaning internet ?
    I haven't heard of that however, as long as you do everything from the same computer I'm sure you will be fine.
  4. #4  
    Neutrino's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    246 Posts
    Global Posts
    428 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBHII View Post
    OK, I'll be in Hawaii on vacation next week, but would like to upgrade to the new OS 3.0 on the 17th. I'll have my laptop with me, but I'm finding out that you can't sync with iTunes via two different sources - my PC has iTunes installed and is where I primarily sync.

    Is there any way I can upgrade next week using my laptop?
    That won't be a problem. I sync my iPhone with my Mac at home. When I've been on travel, and an update has been released, I've downloaded the update to my Windows laptop and updated the OS.
  5. #5  
    Stuartino's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

    Default

    There is a tutorial on iClarified on how to sync an iPhone with two pcs, by finding an XML reference number and changing an xml file on the second pc. I am not sure if you could trick your phone into thinking it was your pc and update from that? I guess you woudl just choose not to sync anything, then update teh OS. Let me know if you try.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    JBHII's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    77 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iPhonejunkie3 View Post
    That won't be a problem. I sync my iPhone with my Mac at home. When I've been on travel, and an update has been released, I've downloaded the update to my Windows laptop and updated the OS.
    Ummm....how exactly? iTunes seems to want to run on a single source (like my home PC) and not on two different sources (home PC AND laptop).

    Both machines are running Vista.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    JBHII's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    77 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuartino View Post
    There is a tutorial on iClarified on how to sync an iPhone with two pcs, by finding an XML reference number and changing an xml file on the second pc. I am not sure if you could trick your phone into thinking it was your pc and update from that? I guess you woudl just choose not to sync anything, then update teh OS. Let me know if you try.
    Do you have a direct link? All I see there is jailbreak tutorials....which I'm not interested in doing.
  8. #8  
  9. #9  
    JustinHorn's Avatar
    Moderator

    Posts
    1,287 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,305 Global Posts

    Default

    You can upgrade on another computer, but you have to do it as an update only and not do a restore.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    JBHII's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    77 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iPhonejunkie3 View Post
    Here is some more info:

    How to sync iphone to two computers [Archive] - Mac Forums[/url]
    Will this work on a Vista based laptop? The instructions are based on a MacBook Pro.
  11. #11  
    Stuartino's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

    Default

    iClarified - iPhone - How to Sync Your iPhone With Multiple Computers there are two sets of instructions, first in Mac second in Vista.

    Let me know how you get on
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    JBHII's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    77 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuartino View Post
    there are two sets of instructions, first in Mac second in Vista.

    Let me know how you get on

    Beautiful! It looks reasonably straight forward - I'll give it a try tonight!

Posting Permissions