3G vs 3GS

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
first your mad because they didn't wait to put this phone out, then you say they are updates that don't matter? I felt the updates for the the 3g were not enough for me to upgrade to the 3g. Now I am sooooo glad that I waited. if you don't feel its worth it...do not upgrade. just sayin.

Sounds like your mad cause you really want to upgrade but are unwilling to pay for it. either bite the bullet or pass. AT&T and Apple are just doin their jobs. and I would say they are not doin a bad job cause they got you wanting a new phone after a mere year.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I'm honestly getting tired of apple and at&t. All they are doing is pissing off their existing customers. I don't understand why it would've been so hard to wait a year to release the iPhone 3g now instead of a year ago with all the features the iPhone 3gs now has. Wait, I know why! They're extremely greedy! And now AT&T pulls their contract thing on the existing iPhone 3g customers so that they can't get the new phone without paying an extra $200, although the original iPhone users were able to upgrade their phones at the new contract price. Funny how that works isn't it?

By the way, the iPhone 3gs will have higher speeds when on safari, downloading apps, playing games, ect. and it has a better 3 megapixel camera that has the ability to record video, along with better battery life and other tiny extras that don't really matter. Every thing else that the new iPhone has should come with the update. Hope that helped.

I would also wait awhile if you have the first iPhone 3g, because I'm sure with sprint coming out with 4g, apple already has plans to create a 4g iPhone and also with the way apple is going, next year they'll come out with something even better than the iPhone 3gs.

I'm wondering if people think before they speak... AT&T/Apple owe you nothing. Don't agree? Find a new carrier/manufacturer; end of story. Nothing more, nothing less.

In all actuality, you should be paying $699 for your update. What company gives you the option to do an early upgrade after getting a phone for a discounted price, every time they update the model?

AT&T's biggest mistake was not explaining the reason you were given this option the first time and that was because you really paid full price for the 2G. Try losing your Touch Pro on Verizon, you'll be paying $560 for a new phone.

I'm getting the device as I'm happy with anything. If we go by your thinking, Apple shouldn't release any phone until it's the be-all-end-all device.

Be-all-End-all iPhone Features
-Cleans dishes
-Wipes your @##
-Gives you pleasure, so you don't have to
-Feeds you when you're hungry
-With multi-tasking enabled, you can even play your favorite tunes while it does the above.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
the post asked about the differences in the software, not the hardware...

Technically, it wasn't. 3.0 on the 3G vs. 3Gs is what I read.

The question should have read "Has anyone come up with a list yet on what features you will get or not get with the 3.0 software between the 3G phone and 3G S phone?"

Before the correction, it seemed as though the question asked what the differences would be when the 3G gets the 3.0 s/w.

bmfan#IM

May 12, 2009
Visit site
The question should have read "Has anyone come up with a list yet on what features you will get or not get with the 3.0 software between the 3G phone and 3G S phone?"

isn't that pretty much what the question says ? it doesn't say that the post has been edited

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Graphics part is what I don't get... it seemed as though in the keynote, the original 3g didn't have the "ES" part of the OpenGL.

I'm pretty sure the ES was in there,the 3G is OpenGL 1.1. The 3GS is OpenGL 2.0. Not positive though,that's just what I remember reading.

EEZ123

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
Anyone here get a new computer lately? I did, and boy is it snappy. I kept my old computer though and I never really use it..to slow. I remember when I got that computer it had vista preinstalled as does my new computer. It seemed so fast back then... now it pains me to use it.

My point is that is how the experience is going to be on the iPhone 3Gs. If you use a 3G after you have had a 3Gs (barring all the other features) you will not enjoy it very much. Speed Speed Speed. Its a killer. I use the browser a lot on my iPhone, both with wifi and att. Pages load slowly. The 3GS will load them two to three times faster that is a huge difference people. And its just not the browser, everything will be so much snappier. That is what I am looking forward to more than anything

Ed

Last edited:

gtGarrrett

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I think it is worth it because of the faster processor and 256mb Ram. Also with the OpenGLES2 support, the 3GS will be able to run alot more graphic intensive apps that will most likely be released in the future. Plus the better battery life, voice controls, and updated GPS. Also, I don't have a 3G, and if I did, I probably wouldn't be buying te 3GS

mullrat

Jun 8, 2008
Visit site
I'm honestly getting tired of apple and at&t. All they are doing is pissing off their existing customers. I don't understand why it would've been so hard to wait a year to release the iPhone 3g now instead of a year ago with all the features the iPhone 3gs now has. Wait, I know why! They're extremely greedy! And now AT&T pulls their contract thing on the existing iPhone 3g customers so that they can't get the new phone without paying an extra $200, although the original iPhone users were able to upgrade their phones at the new contract price. Funny how that works isn't it?

By the way, the iPhone 3gs will have higher speeds when on safari, downloading apps, playing games, ect. and it has a better 3 megapixel camera that has the ability to record video, along with better battery life and other tiny extras that don't really matter. Every thing else that the new iPhone has should come with the update. Hope that helped.

I would also wait awhile if you have the first iPhone 3g, because I'm sure with sprint coming out with 4g, apple already has plans to create a 4g iPhone and also with the way apple is going, next year they'll come out with something even better than the iPhone 3gs.

You are correct on all accounts. AT&T and Apple are greedy. You know why? because they are corporations playing in an extremely competitive environment. Statements like this make me laugh. Usually from fanboys who think that apple is in this to make you happy and further technology like their some kind of church or something. Look they do want to make you happy but by "you" I mean their customer base as a whole. Don't be fooled by these large corporations. They make products to survive in the financial world not to fulfill your every need and desire.

From a business perspective, think about the success of the iPhone. Blackberry has made a name for itself by not being exclusive in its products. Apple has made a name for itself by staying with one provider. AT&T has become the number one cellphone carrier in the country because of the iPhone. There is no way AT&T will let the iPhone's exclusive contract go without a major fight. The verizon rumors you are hearing are rumors set forth bymany businesses to help leverage negotiations.

Personally I don't see Apple leaving AT&T. Verizon and Sprint are old school cell phone companies. They tell cellphone companies what they want. Apple's method is different in that Apple holds all the cards. I don't know how much Verizon wants to play. Sprint is more likely to do that.

Just my Opinion of course.

UTVOL06

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I can't wait to see how fast the 3Gs is. This is my first IPhone and I'm coming from windows mobile 6.5..yes its not officially out, but its been out on XDA forums for about 2 months or so. Been a long time WMobile fan and I wanted something different this go around for work and entertainment. I'm tired of all the tweaking and custom roms just to get things to run smoothly.