Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Default the dreaded credit check...

So does att require some kind of credit check for new iphone customers and if so are there options for those that don't pass it like a deposit or something? Just wondering as my credit isn't quite perfect and I really don't want to stand in line for this new phone only to be turned away due to my credit not being good enough for them.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,515 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Yes there is a credit check, I think there is some kind of deposit you can put down. But I think it is more than the cost of the iPhone, and must be cash. You get it back after a certain period of paying your bills on time. Probably best to call AT&T or stop by a store and ask though.
    Banned

Global Posts
    428 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Here's some info from the AT&T forums. Best bet is to call ahead and get your ducks in a row. Better prepared than surprised. Good luck!

3G iPhone Credit Check. - Apple - Wireless Forums from AT&T
    iPhone Beginner

When you sign up, they run your credit. If they require a deposit, it ranges anywhere from $150-$750 depending on your credit. It's not as stringent as a bank loan or credit card and only you know your credit, and even though I worked for an AT&T indirect, I still have no clue what score equals what deposit. Anyway, the deposit has to be in cash. The deposit is in ADDITION to the cost of the iPhone. As long as you pay your bill, your deposit will be returned into 12 billing cycles(or close to a year). If you are late or have a non-pay suspension, your deposit is at risk. You can pay for the iPhone with check/credit card if you want to but the deposit definitely has to be in cash.
    TiPb Forum Staff

Global Posts
    3,352 Global Posts

My deposit was $100.
    iPhone Beginner

I've personally, when Ive worked there(and I have only been gone for a week), have seen the lowest deposit be $150. A lot of people who said they had bad or questionable credit came back with a 0 deposit.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 6

I was required to pay $500 for my deposit when I got my 3G. I was 18 with no credit at all. I don't if that helps you estimate your deposit? Overall though I would highly recommend going into an AT&T sometime before the release to see what they say. I know of quite a few people who went in before the 3G release to get everything set for it as far as what to expect to pay and whatnot, and it greatly increased the time they had to spend to get their phone and be good to go.
    64 GB iP5
    13" MacBook Pro
    TiPb Forum Staff

Global Posts
    3,352 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ptb6744 View Post
    I've personally, when Ive worked there(and I have only been gone for a week), have seen the lowest deposit be $150. A lot of people who said they had bad or questionable credit came back with a 0 deposit.
    Mine was only $100 a line.
    iPhone Newbie

Mine was 100 beans too, but my girlfriend had to pay a whopping $0.... made me jealous.
    iPhone Newbie

SO if you already have an phone with them already and you want too upgrade to the iphone they still run a credit check?
    iPhone Newbie

no its at&t if they already gave u a contract and u are using ur phone and u are eligable for an upgrade and u upgrade then the only thing other then the price of the phone on contract u will pay is a 18 dollar upgrade fee seen on your next bill
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Robbiebisme View Post
    no its at&t if they already gave u a contract and u are using ur phone and u are eligable for an upgrade and u upgrade then the only thing other then the price of the phone on contract u will pay is a 18 dollar upgrade fee seen on your next bill
    Ok had me worried for alittle bit..LOL Just going to wait it out for abit and see what new comes out.
    SOV
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by rmracer27 View Post
    SO if you already have an phone with them already and you want too upgrade to the iphone they still run a credit check?
    Nope, no credit check
    iPhone Elite

Global Posts
    2,485 Global Posts

My situation is a little different. I've been paying for my iPhone 3G bill for the past year, but the account is owned by my sister, however it is in my name. We co-signed because I wasn't 18.

Do I have credit now or not? :P if I've been paying my bills consistently for a year I don't see why I wouldn't.
    TiPb Forum Staff

Global Posts
    3,352 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rmracer27 View Post
    If you are adding another line yes. Upgrading to iPhone they will just make you pay full price for early upgrade.
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Tramain View Post
    If you are adding another line yes. Upgrading to iPhone they will just make you pay full price for early upgrade.
    I am due an upgrade so I don't have to pay full price..
    iPhone Newbie

I already checked with them and it's $0 for me and for my fiance I forget waht it was but it was more than $100 because he has no credit