Push notifications

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
ok, so i'm going to be getting another 3g iphone, becuase i just cant take not having one at all. i'm gonna switch between it and my bold whenever i get bored or tired with the other. i've been doing lots of reading about the new 3.0 os thats coming out, and i'm getting kinda confused about something. with my bold, "push" to me means that when i get an email, i get it instantly. but i'm seeing "push" for the iphone to mean something else. i know that you cant run multiple apps on the iphone, but will "push" mean that if i get a facebook notification, and facebook isnt running, that i will get some kind of notification on the icon like on my bold? i hope this makes sense, i'm trying to think of the best way to describe it. thanks and i should be back on an iphone within a few days.:)

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Yes, facebook will have to update their app for 3.0 to take advantage of that API. When you get a message and the app is closed the message will be pushed from Apple to your phone and you will get a message. There are 3 types of push "alerts" you can select. A number badge on the icon like you see on the phone,mail, SMS app now. A special custom sound that is set by the app. Or a pop-up message (probably with sound) like when you get an SMS preview while using another app.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
The one thing that scares me is the fact that everything is on a server.

What if it crashes one day ? - With all those apps constantly pushing 24/7 365.

Will there be a back up server ? and a back up server to back up THAT back up server ?

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site

Will there be a back up server ? and a back up server to back up THAT back up server ?

Single point failure. Very similar to the situation we have with RIM. When a RIM node fails, the whole network (regardless of carrier) fails too.

I've wondered as well as to the similarity or difference Apple's push notification system has to other push notification processes. Apple's concept was announced a year ago, and only recently did we publicly hear anything about testing. How well this process will work? Your guess is as good as mine.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

The same thing that happens when RIM's servers have problems, lives end...

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I don't think this is a single point of failure in the classical sense.
After all, Apple is just making a RELAY SERVER, and the original sources of those push apps still exists. You can still check your mail every half hour. You can still log into the meat market and check your face book page.

The real question is how is apple going to make money with notifications. Somebody has to pay for the datacenter and the bandwidth for all those connections.

Who pays, and how much is it worth to you to get that Email notification that you won the British lottery within 3 seconds as opposed to 15 minute minimum email Polling frequency?

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
-sting7k
-iPhonejunkie3

So the errors occur frequently ?

Also, i think the only difference is that RIM is pushing e-mail , not notifications from individual apps. I think it would be slightly different.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
-sting7k
-iPhonejunkie3

So the errors occur frequently ?

Also, i think the only difference is that RIM is pushing e-mail , not notifications from individual apps. I think it would be slightly different.

Nah, it doesn't occur frequently. I had a few blackberries and only 2 times did I ever notice an outage when my e-mail wasn't pushing.

It doesn't mean you won't get data, it just won't be as quick as it should.

It's not the end of the world people make it out to be.

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Nah, it doesn't occur frequently. I had a few blackberries and only 2 times did I ever notice an outage when my e-mail wasn't pushing.

It doesn't mean you won't get data, it just won't be as quick as it should.

It's not the end of the world people make it out to be.

eh depends. i recently had an outage (seems like it affected mostly the midwest) and i didnt get my emails at all. normally if the servers go down, you get your email eventually, but it may take a few days for that to happen. that was one thing that i DID like about apples email system. if apple goes down, i can still access my imap or pop email accts. i do like getting the emails very quickly, but reliablilty is good to. on that note, i agree however that rim's servers dont go down that often at all. maybe a hiccup here and there, but all in all very soled.

jstrickland

Aug 25, 2008
Visit site
Apple mentioned customizable audio notifications. Does this mean I can assign a different notification to each email account? That would almost make up for the lack of video being available to us 3G users.

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I am just curious how this is going to effect battery life...

Probably the exact same affect as push mail (Exchange Active Sync) has right now, since it uses the exact same technology.

The radios have to wake up every so often to see if the socket has data or has timed out. They can't go into deep sleep and stay there.

Most people do see battery life fall with push mail, especially if they get a lot of mail. It may be offset by the better battery life claimed for the new phone, but on the 3G it could have some measurable effect.

Time will tell.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711