iPhone user - help with mac

rpalumbo#IM

Sep 26, 2008
Visit site
Okay I am not sure where else to go with this question. I want to dump my personal dell laptop for a macbook I currently use a dell through work. I am waiting to hear what happens from the "big show". I am in need of only using the mac for web surfing and iTunes. Should I get a Mac Air or a Macbook? I look for your insight as this would be the first apple computer I have every owned and understand it will be a complete change. Thanks again!!!

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
Get the Macbook. The Macbook Air is intended for a very specific audience. Think of it this way - would you make a netbook your primary computer?

SuperTrouper

Jun 1, 2009
www.twitter.com
Either the Macbook or the Macbook Air will work for you for websurfing and iTunes use.

Consider that the Air doesn't have an internal optical drive, you'd need an external one or to share one on another computer if you need to use optical media (CDs/DVDs) with it.

The only other major differences between them are the size (the Air is unbelievably thin and light) and the cost (The Macbook is much cheaper)

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
I would get a MacBook. You don't want an Air to be your primary home computer even if you're only using it for web and iTunes. Like iPhonejunky said, the Air is for a very specific audience.

rpalumbo#IM

Sep 26, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the insight. I think the MacBook would serve a better purpose incase of needing a cd drive and other componets. Plus with difference in cost I can get some additional products. I would like to get one tomorrow or Tuesday as I leave on Wednesday morning for vacation and would like to take it with me!! Hopefully a new one isn't coming out so the one at the mac stores would be the latest edition. Being 100% windows for a long time any suggestions on what additional software is a must have??? Thanks again!!!!

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the insight. I think the MacBook would serve a better purpose incase of needing a cd drive and other componets. Plus with difference in cost I can get some additional products. I would like to get one tomorrow or Tuesday as I leave on Wednesday morning for vacation and would like to take it with me!! Hopefully a new one isn't coming out so the one at the mac stores would be the latest edition. Being 100% windows for a long time any suggestions on what additional software is a must have??? Thanks again!!!!

Shifting to Mac OS X is easier than you think. Just about everything you have become accustomed to with Windows is available, with different apps of course. If you need Windows specific compatibility, there are virtual machine options (Parallels and Fusion) as well as native bootcamp.

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
I just switched over recently, like in April. The learning curve took about a day or so to figure out the basics, and I am still learning some of the advanced controls.

I bought a Unibody Aluminum MacBook with the 2.0 GHz and 2GB Ram and 160 GB hard drive. It is 13.3", but I was using a Dell XPS M1330 anyway, so the size is roughly the same.

I immediately upgraded the Ram to 4GB and the hard drive to 500GB. They both went great, and had the Mac up and running in no time flat.

I also installed Windows 7 RC with Boot Camp, just in case I needed to use specific apps for Windows that I could not find for Mac, but have found enough to keep me from booting into 7 for that reason.

Some apps I use are Open Office to replace MS Office (still may get this later), Flip4Mac adds the ability to view Windows Media content on the Mac, as well as in Safari, Toast Titanium for burning CD's and DVD's and MS Messenger for Mac to access my Hotmail easily.

I may purchase MobileMe and change all of my emails over to that, but I am waiting right now, as there is speculation of a new version being released in the near future.

There is other software out there, but that is what I need for the moment. I usually look as I need.

Last edited:

bosox0898

May 24, 2009
Visit site
The switchers forum on mac-forums.com is a great resource for new mac owners. I found it to be very helpful from finding anything from software suggestions to basics like keyboard shortcuts and basic navigation.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
If I recollect correctly you can take your PC with you to the store and the apple geniuses will help you transfer everything over to your BRAND NEW MACBOOK!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2