Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

1 Posts

Default can't update to OS 2.2

Quite the novice, but not an *****. Received an iPhone 3G for Christmas...everything was going ok until I tried to install some apps and rec'd the error msg that I needed to update to OS 2.2. Easy, I thought.

At the time, I had a regular PC and connected iPhone to iTunes and immediately was given the prompt of updating to OS 2.2, which I tried to do. Didn't work. Gets stuck in the "backing up iPhone mode".....So, I was sort of like, the heck with it. Like I said, I am just a novice...can really do without those apps.

For my birthday in April I rec'd a macbook. Now, I thought I could finally update my iphone to get those apps I want that won't download without OS 2.2 ..... Guess what... no such luck....Won't update even with the mac.

I even spent 30 minutes with apple on the phone today and I swear that lady must have been reading a flow sheet and she really was no help and I finally had to go because I had to meet my young children at the bus stop.

Any suggestions? Should I call apple back? We have no apple store nearby or else I would go there. I am getting quite frustrated because I think it should be an easy fix.
    My iphone isn't loaded with anything extra-ordinary. Only about 20 songs, for goodness sakes!

Thanks, Michele
    iMore Guru

1,661 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,664 Global Posts

how long did you wait during the back up portion of the update? sometimes that can take quite a while especially if it has not yet been done. just a thought.

other than that i would try and contact apple again and go through the flow sheet with someone again. good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Forum App Reviewer

540 Posts
    Global Posts
    542 Global Posts

I've had the same issue and I've actually known others with the same issue. The fix- try a different iPhone sync cord. it was like ours had gone bad or something. While I never had trouble using it to charge though.