help with 2g/3g iphone which one?

blaze98

May 26, 2009
Visit site
I am wanting to get a Iphone But im 6 months into my contrct with AT&T they did not start selling the Iphones at our Sam's (walmart) untill after i bought my LG VU.... so im wanting to sell my LG VU and get a Iphone instead. My question is, i have been looking on EBAY and have found several 2g 8gig iphones for resonable price ($200-$260) and ther are some 3g 8 gig for $400

I know i can cancel my contract and get a new contract with a iphone but i would rather not do that unless i have to. i have tried to do some research but have not found much info, what is the difference between the 1st gen 2G 8gig and the 3g 8gig... i know you can do a software update but im really only wanting it for the phone and to use wi-fi on at work im not watning to use the 3g service unless i have to our work has a company wifi network for its people to use.

Can i use it with just the wi-fi? and would i still be able to use the apps and stuff like that on the 2g 8gig?
i was looking at a 2g phone untill it makes more sense to get a new one after they come out later on.

If i do get a new one later down the road will they make me get a data plan with it?

im really thinking about getting a older one and unlocking it to use on a diff network i hate ATT

any help would be awesome thanks! I hope this is in the correct section i looked in the sticky post but it didnt have a answer for this/

Last edited:

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Personally, I would pay more money and get the 3G. 3G data speeds, GPS, and there are some features enabled in the upcoming OS update that will not work on the 2G.

blaze98

May 26, 2009
Visit site
right but my contract is not up for a while and if i can get a 2g for now untill i can cancel my contract or get a new iphone when i renew again is what im wanting to do. just wanting some info on if i can use the apps with the 2g phone. all though i see what your saying it would be nice to have a 3g but i dont want to pay through the nose for one yet.

blaze98

May 26, 2009
Visit site
i think in a year maybe a year and 3 months.... i was told Sams (walmart) was not going to get the iphone for a while and i needed another phone.. and sams does not mark up their phone like AT&T does. so i signed a new contract and got the LG VU for next to nothing where as at&t was going to charge almost 100 buck for it along with a new 2 year contract. about 3 months after i got it they started selling the Iphone. i cant justify spending 400 bucks on a iphone when i could get a new one for 200 with a new contract OR get a used 2g untill my contract is up then get a new iphone.
my phone (LG VU) is selling on ebay for about 120-145 and i have seen 2g phones for around 200 so i wouldnt be far off selling my Lg Vu and my Palm Life Drive i should have enuff to get a used one.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I honestly think you are setting yourself up for disappointment going with the 1st gen iPhone. Also, you should log into your account and check when you are eligible for upgrade. They let you upgrade before the end of your contract and start a new 2 year, but it depends how much you spend monthly to determine how early you can upgrade.

As a reference the charges on my line are about 140 and I bought the 3G on July 11th and I'm eligible for upgrade on July 12, 2009.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Yeah? If it will expire soon I would just save your money and wait till you can upgraded and get the 3rd gen iPhone that should be out in less than 2 months.
My thoughts exactly...
i think in a year maybe a year and 3 months.... i was told Sams (walmart) was not going to get the iphone for a while and i needed another phone.. and sams does not mark up their phone like AT&T does. so i signed a new contract and got the LG VU for next to nothing where as at&t was going to charge almost 100 buck for it along with a new 2 year contract. about 3 months after i got it they started selling the Iphone. i cant justify spending 400 bucks on a iphone when i could get a new one for 200 with a new contract OR get a used 2g untill my contract is up then get a new iphone.
my phone (LG VU) is selling on ebay for about 120-145 and i have seen 2g phones for around 200 so i wouldnt be far off selling my Lg Vu and my Palm Life Drive i should have enuff to get a used one.

If you can live without MMS and some of the other features, then the 2G is the way you should go. If you want those features, then go with the more expensive 3G. You might want to wait and see if there is a new iPhone announced. I would expect that if one is announced, the market will be flodded with 3G models (mine included) and that would drive the price down.

Basically, wait until after WWDC to see if there will be a new hardware model this year.

blaze98

May 26, 2009
Visit site
and how hard is it to replace a screen on the iphone? if i buy one that has a cracked screen how hard is it to replace one?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
And the monthly bill will be the same regardless, as you'll be forced to buy a data plan whether you plan on using it or not. So there's no point in getting the 2G unless you live in an area that doesn't get 3G yet.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
ohhh ok so it will do normal txt just not multi media mesages like pics

Right, MMS will be 2nd gen and 3rd gen only. Also, no A2DP on 1st gen.

And the monthly bill will be the same regardless, as you'll be forced to buy a data plan whether you plan on using it or not. So there's no point in getting the 2G unless you live in an area that doesn't get 3G yet.

I think for the 1st gen it will be $20 / month vs $30 for the 3G.

and how hard is it to replace a screen on the iphone? if i buy one that has a cracked screen how hard is it to replace one?

I got all the way down to the glass on my g/f iPhone with a smashed screen and couldn't get the glass separated from the metal where the home button and stuff it attached too. I saw a youtube video where these guys spent hours using a hair dryer to melt the glue. Do not try this unless you want to spend many, many hours working on it. Plus the screen will run you like $50-100 (just for the glass), if you need the LCD as well it will be more.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site

I would advise against buying one with a cracked screen. If it is cracked, then there might be other damage as well.

blaze98

May 26, 2009
Visit site

So i have to buy the data plan if i get a new iphone? even if i will not use it? if this is true it makes more sense for me to buy a used 2g or 3g when the 3rd gen comes out. I just want to make sure im understanding this.... if i get a new one i HAVE to get the Data plan even if i wont use it? i only plan on useing the normal phone service and txting ( i have the unlimited txting now) and use the wi-fi to check my gmail and stuff at work... and if the 2 g will still do normal txting (without pics) thats all i use now. i havent ever sent txt with pics on my phone. i appreciate all the imput, since i have told you more along the lines of what im going to be useing the iphone for (phone/ipod/wi-fi/normal txting) does it make sense to get a 2g phone untill they lower the price of the data package? i think the data package should include txting.

if i were to get a new 3g phone, i would get it for 200 bucks,+ activation fees+ normal phone service bill ($60) and a additional $30 plan for 3g that i will not use? and the $30 data lan does not cover txting right? if not its another 15$ for txting... please tell me if im wrong..

Last edited:

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
So i have to buy the data plan if i get a new iphone? even if i will not use it? if this is true it makes more sense for me to buy a used 2g or 3g when the 3rd gen comes out. I just want to make sure im understanding this.... if i get a new one i HAVE to get the Data plan even if i wont use it? i only plan on useing the normal phone service and txting ( i have the unlimited txting now) and use the wi-fi to check my gmail and stuff at work... and if the 2 g will still do normal txting (without pics) thats all i use now. i havent ever sent txt with pics on my phone. i appreciate all the imput, since i have told you more along the lines of what im going to be useing the iphone for (phone/ipod/wi-fi/normal txting) does it make sense to get a 2g phone untill they lower the price of the data package? i think the data package should include txting.

if i were to get a new 3g phone, i would get it for 200 bucks,+ activation fees+ normal phone service bill ($60) and a additional $30 plan for 3g that i will not use? and the $30 data lan does not cover txting right? if not its another 15$ for txting... please tell me if im wrong..

If you are going to activate it on AT&T's service, yes, the data plan is required. If you are going to unlock and use on another carrier, it still needs to be activated on AT&T.

The data plan does not cover texting, right, but they do have a $5 plan for 200 texts, I believe.

As for upgrading early, the upgrade price I was quoted for a 3G two months before my contract is up, is $499.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal