iPhone recognizes other iPhones?

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Is it just me or does the iPhone recognize other iPhones? Anytime I've added an iPhone contact and instead of defaulting to mobile, it shows 'iPhone'

Is this the case for anyone else? Or is this 3.0 related?

jewelz

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm not running 3.0 and I just looked at my contacts and I don't even have an iPhone option. Just say mobile work home etc. It's pretty cool if 3.0 can recognize these other iPhones.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Odd. I have 3.0 and I don't see an iPhone option. I also have at least one current contact with an iPhone, and it's still just showing him as "mobile."

Did your iPhone contacts just suddenly change to iPhone or did you recently edit them?

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
I have an iPhone option, but I'm not getting it to default to that. I've created new contacts with numbers that I know are iPhones and it still defaults to mobile. I've even deleted the numbers of stored iPhone contacts, went to my recent list, and added them from there... still defaulted to mobile. But there IS an option to select iPhone.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I realized what it may be... adding from an sms. Have someone send you a msg that isn't in your contacts and then add them.

I'm guessing it's 3.0 specific.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Hrmm...that's actually how I added the number I have for the contact I've got with an iPhone...but it doesn't show as iPhone. Maybe the other person has to have 3.0 as well?

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Except that everyone is on the same beta build as all prior betas have now expired.

I was actually on beta 4, it expired Friday or Saturday for me and just upgraded to beta 5. I was trying to keep my MMS as long as possible.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Ok, so do you still see an iPhone choice with beta 5? ;)

I'm on beta 5.

I tried the add via text message thing and it still didn't default to iPhone. But my method is deleting the phone numbers from contacts, then re-adding them. Maybe if it is truly a "new" number, it'll default?

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I'm on beta 5.

I tried the add via text message thing and it still didn't default to iPhone. But my method is deleting the phone numbers from contacts, then re-adding them. Maybe if it is truly a "new" number, it'll default?

That is what I was thinking. A friend had T-mobile and then got a new iPhone on AT&T (after a lot of taunting from me). She messages me and I decided to add her new number to "existing" and then deleted the other number that was listed as mobile. This is when it defaulted to iPhone for me.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
That is what I was thinking. A friend had T-mobile and then got a new iPhone on AT&T (after a lot of taunting from me). She messages me and I decided to add her new number to "existing" and then deleted the other number that was listed as mobile. This is when it defaulted to iPhone for me.

After writing this, this may have something to do with iPhone being able to recognize other iPhones for gaming and such -- peer to peer connectivity.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Ok, Alli and I decided to investigate and I've reached a conclusion, well kinda. Alli's phone still isn't showing iPhone as an option on her list, so I don't know what's up with that. Probably has something to do with exchange?

The iPhone does NOT recognize other iPhones, it's simply defaulting to the next unused label in the list. 3.0 seems to have added iPhone as the 2nd option on the list (for some). So if you already have a mobile number stored for someone, then the next choice is "iPhone". I played around with adding to different contats with different types of numbers stored, and it always chose the first unused label on the list.

Not nearly as cool, I know.

So now the question is why don't all iPhones on 3.0 beta have iPhone listed as an option?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73