gbernier

May 23, 2009
Visit site
After one year of waiting for my bell contract to end, i finally bought my iphone 3g from rogers! Dont get me wrong I love it! but now i find out that theres the newest model coming out in like 2 months or so... Totally not fair... Anything i can do you think? Like maybe give it back to rogers and add money to get the new one when its out? Thanks

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Something you will have to live with. There will always be new technology around the corner. The only thing you can do is sell your current phone and purchase a new one at full price...

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
It's not "totally not fair" that technology progresses. You should've done some research before you making your purchase.

How long ago did you buy it? I don't know anything about Rogers, but I know that most carriers in the US have a 30-day return policy. Or you can do as Bad Ash suggested and sell the 3G when the new one comes. Check ebay, they sell pretty good.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I would see if you can return it like Leanna said or go back to you old plan and upgrade when the new one comes out, trying to sell it and buy a new one at full price my be more hassle than it's worth.

lagmefragme

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
In the US... from AT&T... if you try to return it you get a story from the AT&T reps about how you won't be able to get another iPhone later and still pay discount pricing... just other phones with discount pricing... until you are eligible for upgrade pricing during your 2 year contract.

But you also get the story that AT&T will give all current iPhone users the chance to purchase the new iPhone WITH upgrade pricing regardless of where you are in your contract if/when new hardware is released.

-shawn

Jeffdc5#IM

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Its no big deal bro the newer iphone won't make your current iphone look bad, its just a few improvements and your getting a whole new OS (3.0) for free. I'm actually skipping the next iphone, ill get the 2010 iphone.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Its no big deal bro the newer iphone won't make your current iphone look bad, its just a few improvements and your getting a whole new OS (3.0) for free. I'm actually skipping the next iphone, ill get the 2010 iphone.

I'm going to support the economy and buy a new one...has nothing to do with me actually wanting one :)

Isn't there a 30-day return policy?

Yeah, but maybe they have a clause that if you return it, you can't buy it again?

gbernier

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Yeah theyre is a 30 day return policy, but what they dont tell you is that you cant use the phone for more than 30 mins talk time. Which is ridiculous cause you can easily use that up on the line with the carrier themselves. Found this out that hard way when i tried to get out of my bell contract. I asked Rogers about this too when i was signing my contract and they are the same way. But yeah i think I'll just wait till the 2010 Iphone!

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
In the US... from AT&T... if you try to return it you get a story from the AT&T reps about how you won't be able to get another iPhone later and still pay discount pricing... just other phones with discount pricing... until you are eligible for upgrade pricing during your 2 year contract.

But you also get the story that AT&T will give all current iPhone users the chance to purchase the new iPhone WITH upgrade pricing regardless of where you are in your contract if/when new hardware is released.

-shawn

This is not true in the least, they have a 30 day return policy, point blank. If you return the phone, your upgrade remains in tact. You can use it at anytime, even on a new iPhone. Whoever is telling you that is apparently not very bright.

As far as current iPhone users being eligible to upgrade, that happened w/ the 3Gs because when you bought the 1st iPhone, THEY WERE UNSUBSIDIZED! You paid outright for the first one, you never used an upgrade, so you still had an upgrade in tact. AT&T did not do 1st gen iPhone users a favor. They just never used an upgrade to begin with.

We do not know yet what will happen w/ the new ones until AT&T announces it. I personally do not think iPhone users should assume they'll be eligible for the lowest price every year. The iPhone 3G was subsidized, you agreed to to pay off that subsidy at the 199/299 price point, even the 399/499 price point.

So again, different being:
1st iPhone - did NOT use your upgrade
2nd iPhone - DID use upgrade eligibility

If I were to bet, current 3G users who used their upgrade this past summer, they will end up paying the 399/499 price point, not the 199/299.

That's just me though. I could be totally wrong.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73