New Iphone...Old system

pe567567

May 18, 2009
Visit site
I have just ordered a new Iphone and found out that I need a newer version of Itunes to synch with it...Problem is that I'm on osx 10.3.9 and it wont upgrade to a higher version of Itunes than the one i have which is 7.7.1 (11)....What can I do? your help would be appreciated:confused:

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
You don't want to upgrade to a more recent version of OS X?

Makes no sense, as old stuff works, right, but technology moves forward and carries dependencies with it. So, iPhone requires more recent iTunes requires more recent OS X.

Your other choice is to do a lot of "over the air" (OTA) syncing via Exchange ActiveSync or MobileMe, and buying music/apps on the iPhone.

Stevie No-Wonder

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
You can run the latest iTunes 8 on OSX 10.4.11 Tiger if you don't want to (or can't efficiently) run Leopard on an older machine.

Last edited:

pe567567

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your thoughts, it's not worth upgrading the OS on this machine, but can I run 2 different versions of Itunes (1 mine, 1 belonging to someone else) on another, more modern machine. Mine would be synced with my Ipod and Iphone and the other version synced with their ipod?

sil3ntrid3r11

Feb 20, 2009
www.youtube.com
My opinion is that if you are willing to drop 199+ or 299+ on an iPhone, it wouldnt hurt to drop the extra cash for Leopard for whatever machine you are using. I mean I dont think your machine blazing fast as of right now anyways.. I put leopard on my sister old iBook and it has no problems..

Unlike Microsoft, Apple doesnt make legacy products, at least to an extent. When apple makes big upgrades or updates, its their way or the highway.. So if you want the latest and greatest, you got to get it. Or follow Rene's advice and do the over the air stuff..

Stevie No-Wonder

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
My opinion is that if you are willing to drop 199+ or 299+ on an iPhone, it wouldnt hurt to drop the extra cash for Leopard for whatever machine you are using. I mean I dont think your machine blazing fast as of right now anyways...

Not great advice in my opinion. Just because his/her machine may already be slow is no reason to assume Leopard will perform no worse than Tiger. Before I bought my two new Macs I upgraded an old PowerBook G4 to Leopard and it was considerably slower and more problematic than Tiger (not to mention he or she is most likely using other software that came out at the time of Panther which has a greater chance of being totally incompatible with Leopard).

And there was no mention of the poster "wanting the latest and greatest" anyway. If it's just a need for syncing the iPhone, Tiger is a safer update on such an old Mac, and won't require shelling out even more money for more RAM also.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW