Latest Next Gen iPhone Hardware Rumors

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
So with the latest rumors regarding the actual hardware of the next gen iPhone... how are you feeling?

"Model number MB717LL
600MHz CPU Speed (up from 400MHz)
256MB RAM (up from 128MB)
Digital Compass and FM
3.2 megapixel camera with auto focus
32GB size
No major changes in battery, screen and external casing."

The last part really bothers me... improving those 3 things were key in my opinion and what I'd like to see most... but who am I, it will still sell well. :eek:

davebarfoot

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
So with the latest rumors regarding the actual hardware of the next gen iPhone... how are you feeling?
The last part really bothers me... improving those 3 things were key in my opinion and what I'd like to see most... but who am I, it will still sell well. :eek:

I don't actually have an iPhone yet as I'm waiting for the hardware refresh so my opinions are based on reading rather than experience.

The battery is the only thing "missing" for me but the compass and FM I could take or leave.

My fear is with a faster processor and bigger memory and no battery improvements battery life will effectively be reduced in this model.

Here's hoping not!

Dave.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Battery life -- I hope the reason it's not in the rumor mill is due to that being a given to be getting an upgrade. The 3.2mp and Digital Compass are going to rip through the battery life.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I would just like to take personal credit for raising Bad Ash's expectations to iPhone HD levels :)

Can't see Apple *not* leveraging their new MacBook Pro 17" battery technology though, unless it doesn't miniaturize yet?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
For god sakes they need to have a better battery. Put one of those fancy Macbook pro batteries or something.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
"Model number MB717LL

Sounds alright, was hoping for more if it makesa big difference.

This is something that the phone really needed, so I guess double the RAM is good.

Digital Compass and FM

Love the digital compass, and I am REALLY hoping that it's an FM transmitter, nothing beats listening to Pandora or any of the other dozens of music apps through your car speakers.

It's 2009, should at least be 5mp with all the camera features much lesser phones have had for years like image stabilization. It's strange how many apps use the camera yet the camera is so bad it makes the feature almost un-usable for them. Hopefully if it's only 3.2mp they give us a much larger and higher quality lens with the much needed camera features.

32GB size

That was expected, I think the cheaper model will jump to 16.

No major changes in battery

This one doesn't bother me, I've got a wall charger and a car charger, no matter how much I use it it's always got enough battery life.

Uh what? No OLED HD display? Falling behind again..

and external casing.

I don't see how it could not change, I'm hoping at least we get it in matte black like the rumors have suggested.

Unless the screen and camera turn out to be better I will probably hold off buying one until the fall and be happy with 3.0 jailbroken.. I really don't see enough improvements to make me rush out and drop 400 bucks on one. Let's hope these specs are wrong..

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I'll still upgrade. Better battery is something that every smartphone user wants...especially ones who use their phones as much as I do!

Other than that, everything is about what I expected. I do think that they could increase the camera to 5 MP. Apple is definitely lagging in that department.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I would just like to take personal credit for raising Bad Ash's expectations to iPhone HD levels :)

Can't see Apple *not* leveraging their new MacBook Pro 17" battery technology though, unless it doesn't miniaturize yet?

If these rumors hold true I was right all along in saying we would not see major updates... you got me all excited for nothing! :mad:
:p

jellmoo

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
"Model number MB717LL

A nice touch, but I haven't had any big problem with the speed of the device myself. I'm also concerned that this could lead to a hit on battery performance.

This one is gold. This could open up some interesting avenues for the device, especially in regards to Jailbreak apps. How many times have you seen an app just quite because it ran out of memory?

Digital Compass and FM

Cute, but essentially meaningless to me.

I look at this as being a pointless upgrade. The upgrade is so small that it really doesn't cut it as a contender to be any more than a novelty camera, which it already was.

Granted I don't care about the camera...

32GB size

Wayyyyy more space than I would ever need. I have an 8 gig model and for the life of me I have no idea what I'm going to do with the 2 remaining gigs I have.

I would have greatly preferred adding a mini sd slot and keeping the sizes at 8 and 16 gig. Give people the option to upgrade if they feel they need it.

No major changes in battery, screen and external casing.

o_0

How could they not upgrade the battery? I know these aren't confirmed specs or anything, but wow, if they're real the folks at Apple need to think this through. The battery life on the device is so weak that Apple won't develop background tasks on the device. Maybe a better battery?

Not shocked at all about the screen. As is, I find the screen to be very good. Could it be better? Sure. But I think it would be cost prohibitive to do so.

External casing is bound to be slightly different. I definitely don't foresee any major redesign though.

Stevie No-Wonder

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
I've also been predicting no new iPhone all along, other than the possibility of a 32GB added.

If this is all true, I'm even surprised at the new camera and speed improvements. The same battery, screen, casing are no surprise at all to me. At the most, I expected the same ol' iPhone 3G with 32GB.

I know there are some who argue that Apple makes new iPods every year, but those aren't computers. I still don't see Apple ever making major iPhone or iPod touch upgrades every year.

But, we'll see. I'd love to be wrong and have the cash ready. :rolleyes:

infenit101

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site

"Model number MB717LL
Digital Compass and FM
32GB size
No major changes in battery, screen and external casing."

dont care about hdd size....only cpu and ram. and 256 is not enough

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Love the speed and ram upgrades..

but definitely would like a better:

screen
battery
camera
AND definitely more casing options..

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
32GB will be nice b/c then I can fit almost my entire music library on the phone, although I have to say I've stopped using my 80GB iPod and just live with a limited selection on the iPhone 16GB.

I think the new chips although faster will actually use less power as they will be more efficient. I would still expect a better battery on top of that though. Wait and see...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711