Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

1 Posts

Angry Roaming Bad

Hi, I am trying to find a way or an app (itunes/cydia) where I can disable the carrier connection upon request.
    Why? Cause if I am going to another country, I would still like to use my iphone as a pda, and use its wifi, without having to pay for roaming the minute I turn it on.

Some of you will suggest travel mode… well travel mode turns off wifi.. I want wifi to stay on.

If anyone know of any solution please tell me
    iMore Intermediate

134 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,974 Global Posts

Airplane mode was made for you.
    Turn Airplane mode on. Then go back and turn wifi on.

Both of these settings will persist when the phone goes to sleep.
    Worst case would be you would have to re-enable them if you totally powered down.

And don't forget to turn off data roaming in the settings.
    Using these tricks you will only be charged if you actually turn airplane mode OFF and make a call.
    Last edited by icebike; 05-06-2009 at 01:13 PM.
    iPhone Beginner

61 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Im out here in Iraq with my iPhone and a couple of us troops use our phones all the time. Just turn on Airplane mode on and turn on wifi. and you r good to go. You wont have to worry about incurring any roaming minutes or data
    iMore Nanite

6 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

i can attest for what icebike is saying. i use it like that on my old iPhone and airplane mode stays on even after i turn the phone on and off. wifi still works when airplane mode is on, too.