Defrag needed??

zkarj

May 2, 2009
Visit site
I've noticed lately that when syncing my iPhone and there is very little free space it slows down a LOT. I'm imagining it's having to find and use all the tiny remaining chunks of memory or something like that.

Reboot of phone and Mac seem to make no difference. If I leave it, it does complete the sync, it just takes ages.

It seems to only be the last bit of the sync (about the last 10-15% or so) that is slow. Up to there it is reasonable.

Should I clear and reload the phone? I assume that doing that would better allocate memory chunks?

Note I have lots of podcasts of all sizes constantly being added and removed, so the possibility for fragmentation of the available memory is pretty high.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I'm not a drive expert, but I'd imagine the solid state NAND flash memory inside the iPhone wouldn't be as effected by fragmentation as a regular hard drive because there's no physical seek-time involved (doesn't have to move heads around). So, sequential read/write vs. random read/write shouldn't matter.

Is it always the same file or type of file being synced when you notice the slowdown?

If it's converting tons of photos, or doing some other sort of heavy lifting, you might be able to start whittling down where the bottleneck is.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2