3.0, some features won't be available for the 1st gen. Which ones do you think?

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
If you watched the Keynote, they mentioned that 3.0 will have tons of features, but some won't be compatible with the 1st gen iPhone.

Which features do you think won't make it to the 1st gen iPhone. And if your a 1st gen user, what do you think about this?

Let me know in your comments below!

Last edited:

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Well they've already said video recording will not be available on 2G, and I think they said no to the 3G either. I think video is strictly for the new hardware.

Then they said MMS will not be available on the 1st gen iPhone, which I never really understood. :(

jasonact

May 30, 2008
www.jasonmartinmft.com
Well they've already said video recording will not be available on 2G, and I think they said no to the 3G either. I think video is strictly for the new hardware.

Then they said MMS will not be available on the 1st gen iPhone, which I never really understood. :(

Apple hasn't even officially announced video as part of the OS, and they certainly haven't announced new hardware yet. The only reason we know anything about video on the iPhone is from 3.0 code divers. It might be available to current iPhone owners. It might not. It might be a feature that's coming but not for a few months after 3.0 drops.

I think at the iPhone 3.0 unveiling Apple said MMS and stereo Bluetooth were the only two 3.0 features that wouldn't be coming to the original iPhone.

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Apple hasn't even officially announced video as part of the OS, and they certainly haven't announced new hardware yet. The only reason we know anything about video on the iPhone is from 3.0 code divers. It might be available to current iPhone owners. It might not. It might be a feature that's coming but not for a few months after 3.0 drops.

I think at the iPhone 3.0 unveiling Apple said MMS and stereo Bluetooth were the only two 3.0 features that wouldn't be coming to the original iPhone.

That's to bad about 1st gen users. MMS would works fine with the device, Apple might be wanting to steer their 1st gen consumers to buying the new device with all the features, (even though the 1st gen can handle more than they are saying.)

What do you guys think?

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I think that's it... it doesn't bother me either way, I got the 3g and will get the next one.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
When you think about it, 3.0 is like getting a new phone for free, does any other company offer these kinds of updates without having to buy a whole new phone? My Sony phone I had before my iphone was almost 3 years old, it was the same as the day I bought it after 3 years.

Pretty good deal in my opinion..

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I think that anything to do with BT is going to be the big differentiator between 1G and 2G. Something to do with the 1G iPhones BT radio is not as powerful as 2G. (I think)

I with rebeard on this one. It is almost like getting a new phone with this update.:) Unless the new hardware, whenever it comes out, has a screaming processor, I will probably stick with my current 3G iPhone.

Of course I did just get it in December '08.:rolleyes:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
When you think about it, 3.0 is like getting a new phone for free, does any other company offer these kinds of updates without having to buy a whole new phone? My Sony phone I had before my iphone was almost 3 years old, it was the same as the day I bought it after 3 years.

Pretty good deal in my opinion..

You are right, no other company does what Apple does in regards to updating their hardware. Now if they ever branch out with an iPhone Nano, iPhone Lite, iPhone whatever, etc... things may change. It's much easier to constantly update a single phone rather then popping out updates for multiple phones.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
You are right, no other company does what Apple does in regards to updating their hardware. Now if they ever branch out with an iPhone Nano, iPhone Lite, iPhone whatever, etc... things may change. It's much easier to constantly update a single phone rather then popping out updates for multiple phones.

I have a feeling that Apple would still be consistent with updates. Another reason is because it's the same OS. So even if they have three or four different devices, they all use the same OS; only difference would be the features some may have... (ie. mms & stereo bluetooth on 3g and not 2g)

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I dunno...that's where Windows Mobile loses it. They have so many devices that they can't push updates cause the hardware varies so widely.

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
I dunno...that's where Windows Mobile loses it. They have so many devices that they can't push updates cause the hardware varies so widely.

Yeah I've noticed. My fiance' has a WinMo device, it's this never ending battle for him to get the new OS. And Apple has it down to a science. It's pretty fluid when it comes to updating your device with them.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I have a feeling that Apple would still be consistent with updates. Another reason is because it's the same OS. So even if they have three or four different devices, they all use the same OS; only difference would be the features some may have... (ie. mms & stereo bluetooth on 3g and not 2g)

I should have been more clear, if they stayed with the same OS on all devices I'd agree with you.

mth785

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
I'm still using a 1gen. and couldn't care less about MMS or stereo bluetooth. I will probably get a 3G after the next phone is released and the price is reduced. I'm a cheap Apple fanboy.

ScottUrman

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

Especially if different versions have different size screens.