How do I create folders in mail?

scottdoc718

Jul 9, 2008
Visit site
I cant beleive I havent figured out how to do this yet (I've had an iphone for 2+ years now). Simply put:

How do I create new folders in the mail app that I can move messages to (and get them out of my inbox)? Pardon my ignorance. I couldnt find this in the forum or the user guide. Thanks.

-Scott

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I don't think this is currently available. My tip would be to create the folders via your email provider and then they will show up in the folder list.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
It's been a while since I've used a pop3 account, but I think folders are unique to IMAP. (Gmail is another animal altogether.)

scottdoc718

Jul 9, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone else think its odd that I cant create a local folder on my iphone independent of my mail service to move messages around in? I am not sure why this cant be done or isnt setup to allow me to do so. I would think there would be a create folder button or similar on my "Inbox, Sent and Trash" folders screen. Weird...

-Scott

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Even with my IMAP accounts it is impossible to create another folder on the iPhone. That really is not all that unusual though. It's typically something that must be done at the server level.

Stevie No-Wonder

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone else think its odd that I cant create a local folder on my iphone independent of my mail service to move messages around in?

Yes, it's odd. But then, so too are many other missing features. Hopefully, it'll be addressed in the near future. However, the iPhone has so many other features that other devices lack.

You can send Apple your suggestions here. Apple - iPhone - Feedback

Exactly. Making the folder in Outlook creates the folder on the server side as well.

Never used the account from any of my internet providers...no idea is this is possible...

Unless I'm mistaken, I think Scott just means he wants to be able to create folders on his iPhone for organization, rather than them necessarily "sycning" with server folders.

I have many folders created in Apple Mail for my POP3 accounts that are NOT on my mail server. They are only in the Apple Mail application for sorting purposes (Business/Personal). How difficult could it be to provide folder creation in iPhone Mail just to separate and organize? They would still be useful even WITHOUT syncing with the desktop app.

scottdoc718

Jul 9, 2008
Visit site
That is correct. Outlook does create them easily and does NOT create them on the mail server. It is a powerful Desktop app, but creating folders is one of the simplest functions that exists. I guesss I'll have to wait.

vulzan

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Unbelievable!

I am amazed at how the act of adding an email folder on the local device for organizational purposes has convinced people that this is a feature for a powerful mail client. I am dissappointed with my Ipad for many related reasons where the user is locked out from the OS. You have to buy an app just to extend the features of your platform.... which means the platform doesn't lack power at all. The problem is marketing has convinved the users, in an attempt to extend thier bottom line, that things that were considered basic features 10-15 years ago (when computers were far less powerful then our handheld gadgets today) are powerful by todays standards. Not everyone uses webmail. Besides, it shouldn't matter what protocol your mail server is using in order for you to organize the messages you downloaded into folders instead of ungodly long lists of unorganized emails. You shouldn't have to "Jailbreak" your Ipad to get it to do something simple. What an insult (any way you dress it up). :mad:

scottdoc718

Jul 9, 2008
Visit site
Wow. I still agree. (Even a year and 5 months later).

BTW, my email service just went from Verizon to Frontier and Frontier uses a different protocol. Now when I create folders on the mail server, it creates them on my iphone.

I can see how apple has brainwashed me since then, I dont seem to care as much as I did back then. I have come to accept all the Apple shortcomings. :)

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone else think its odd that I cant create a local folder on my iphone independent of my mail service to move messages around in? I am not sure why this cant be done or isnt setup to allow me to do so. I would think there would be a create folder button or similar on my "Inbox, Sent and Trash" folders screen. Weird...

-Scott

It's not really that odd. POP3 was originally created during the dial up era. The POP3 paradigm was that you dial up the provider, downloaded your emails to your computer (while usually deleting them from the server) and then disconnecting and reading your emails offline, connecting again to send them.

Since broadband became ubiquitous, and a constant connection is most common, most have moved to the server model for emails. You leave the emails on the server, sync the headers, and you pull down the ones you want to read. There are distinct advantages to this model, especially if you need email access in multiple locations as it will sync status between multiple computers. Server space has also gotten quite large so there no need for most to even delete emails on the server.

With the advent of smartphones, a new model is taking over for those. Instead of pulling down emails as you need them, the server pushes the emails to your device. Smartphones have basically turned emails into advanced beeper messages. Because a smartphone pretty much means you have access to the same email account on another device, usually a computer, it's convenient to sync the emails so you know which ones you've read and stuff. That was what made Blackberry so popular a few years ago, and it's still popular for this reason.

In the last two models, folders are controlled on the server, as opposed to POP3 where it was controlled on your desktop. You need to issue commands to the server to create the folders. There's no other way to sync between computers/devices.

My advice is, move onto a server based email protocol. I strongly doubt Apple is going to include any new features for POP based email because honestly, it's dated technology.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2