Is Apple Holding Back on OS 3.0...

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
So what do you think? Is Apple intentionally holding back on features or some major UI changes until the time comes to be released? Or a few beta's down the road?

I personally feel we will see some nice changes before 3.0 is officially released. Thoughts?

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
I would certainly expect Apple to be holding back on some things. It would be pretty stupid release everything at once and not have anything for the future.
But with all they're delivering, I think they're releasing feature pretty fast so I don't think they're holding back a lot.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
You agree with me!? Shocker!!!

I do too. Since they opened this beta to all developers and not just the ones that signed up before the app store was open to the public they knew the NDA wouldn't do much good.

I think they should change the think different slogan to "Surprises Ahead" :D

c0mpguru

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
There will definitely be a surprise when the keynote arrives. Apple wouldn't put everything out there at once. They need to get people more excited for when summer comes.

rknowlt

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
Another angle to explore, the "big surprise" could be some features that are supported by something new and amazing on new hardware? Not that there couldn't be some new stuff being held back for just the 3.0 that everyone will get to enjoy, but I think it's more likely that the things being held back are the things that will be new gen exclusive.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I believe they are, but what company doesn't. I think it's also the reason why they are doing it. It could be that the feature isn't ready yet and until it's as good as it can get, they don't want to have to postponed and not release it at all (ie. push notification)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I believe they are, but what company doesn't. I think it's also the reason why they are doing it. It could be that the feature isn't ready yet and until it's as good as it can get, they don't want to have to postponed and not release it at all (ie. push notification)

I'm looking for some UI changes, which I'm not so sure will happen. :(

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure they are holding something back. They played their first hand last month, now everyone will get a few months to cram in some last minute things to their summer releases to go to battle. But of course Apple couldn't have shown everything. I wouldn't expect anything earth shattering, maybe something nifty and new. Probably the biggest thing they are holding back is Steve Jobs; he's probably foaming at the mouth to get on stage after sitting at home for the past few months watching Palm and everyone show off their iPhone killers. He wants to get up there and knock them all back down again.

dooks88

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I'm looking for some UI changes, which I'm not so sure will happen. :(

Me too. Most notably a combined inbox for email. Maybe with color coded messages to differentiate the email account.

Also, I would like the lock screen to display if i have any notifications such as texts, email, im's....

I doubt we will see these though.

msimplicity

Apr 15, 2009
Visit site
I think they will definitely hold back on gui elements more than features. Getting features out there in th betas is beneficial to the developers, but the gui stuff can be postponed a bit to allow for some WOW factor closer to launch

lagmefragme

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
From what I remember of the 'released' features of os 3 they are mostly about what people have been complaining are missing... like copy/paste and MMS. So they announce that stuff in order to stop the griefers from saying, 'don't get an iphone it doesn't have xyz like every other smartphone out there'. Then at keynote they start touting all the missing features as it's in there now and then <Emril impersionation>BAMM!</Emril impersionation> something new (truly new not just a 'missing' feature).

So yeah, I think they are holding back something.

siddfinch

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
that's the way the business works - it's be a terrible business move for them to reveal all of their new features months before the release....and when release time rolls around, everyone gets exactly what they knew was coming?

Naww, that's not how to make money. They'll create buzz with the info we've received, then pop up a surprise or two on release day to pull more in.

Frozen001

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
I am sure apple is holding something back as for what it will be I don't know... I would love an improved calendar app or at least open up the databases so developers can make software that can be tied directly to MobileMe. Push is going to be nice, as well as the cut and paste, MMS, and more landscape enabled apps. A few improvements on the calendar, notes, and a native to-do list app tied to the calendar I would be totally happy with my iphone. Oh yea and free tethering to a laptop/netPC (this is more of an AT&T thing than apple though).

ktm97

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
I think they will wait till Palm announces the date the pre will be released, and then Bam, pow are going to release and announce updates to steal Palms thunder.

vanishingvision7

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure if this was coming or mentioned but is native program turn off features in 3.0?

On my phone, the last page is for the native programs that I never use. They are, iTunes, contacts (just double click home) and photos (just go into camera).

As far as UI changes, are you talking about the ability change icons and names of the applications along with custom background and such?

I would personally not like to see icon changes on native apps because I'm so used to it now. Not a bad idea for someone who would like to change it up but I would not be one using it.