Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Question Is Apple Holding Back on OS 3.0...

So what do you think? Is Apple intentionally holding back on features or some major UI changes until the time comes to be released? Or a few beta's down the road?

I personally feel we will see some nice changes before 3.0 is officially released. Thoughts?
    App and photo editor

Global Posts
    1,466 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

I think so. I think they want to reveal a surprise during the keynote =D
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by llofte View Post
    I think so. I think they want to reveal a surprise during the keynote =D
    You agree with me!? Shocker!!!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,221 Global Posts

I would certainly expect Apple to be holding back on some things. It would be pretty stupid release everything at once and not have anything for the future.
    But with all they're delivering, I think they're releasing feature pretty fast so I don't think they're holding back a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ash View Post
    I do too. Since they opened this beta to all developers and not just the ones that signed up before the app store was open to the public they knew the NDA wouldn't do much good.

I think they should change the think different slogan to "Surprises Ahead"
    [ JUSTIN ]
    [ FOLLOW JUST ME ON TWITTER FOR RANDOM AND TECH RELATED STUFF ] [ @justin_horn ]
    [ FOLLOW MY BLOG WHEN WILL APPLE ON TWITTER ] [ @whenwillapple ]
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

There will definitely be a surprise when the keynote arrives. Apple wouldn't put everything out there at once. They need to get people more excited for when summer comes.
    App and photo editor

Global Posts
    1,466 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

LOL! There are many things I agree with you on! But... there are many things I don't!!
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 6

Another angle to explore, the "big surprise" could be some features that are supported by something new and amazing on new hardware? Not that there couldn't be some new stuff being held back for just the 3.0 that everyone will get to enjoy, but I think it's more likely that the things being held back are the things that will be new gen exclusive.
    64 GB iP5
    13" MacBook Pro
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    19,870 Global Posts

I believe they are, but what company doesn't. I think it's also the reason why they are doing it. It could be that the feature isn't ready yet and until it's as good as it can get, they don't want to have to postponed and not release it at all (ie. push notification)
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by Duvi View Post
    I believe they are, but what company doesn't. I think it's also the reason why they are doing it. It could be that the feature isn't ready yet and until it's as good as it can get, they don't want to have to postponed and not release it at all (ie. push notification)
    I'm looking for some UI changes, which I'm not so sure will happen.
    iPhone Intermediate

Mobile iWork app! (but not free).
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,404 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm sure they are holding something back. They played their first hand last month, now everyone will get a few months to cram in some last minute things to their summer releases to go to battle. But of course Apple couldn't have shown everything. I wouldn't expect anything earth shattering, maybe something nifty and new. Probably the biggest thing they are holding back is Steve Jobs; he's probably foaming at the mouth to get on stage after sitting at home for the past few months watching Palm and everyone show off their iPhone killers. He wants to get up there and knock them all back down again.
    iPhone Beginner

It's Apple, you KNOW they have plenty of surprises coming up!!
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts

I'm looking for some UI changes, which I'm not so sure will happen.
    Me too. Most notably a combined inbox for email. Maybe with color coded messages to differentiate the email account.

Also, I would like the lock screen to display if i have any notifications such as texts, email, im's....

I doubt we will see these though.
    iPhone Newbie

I think they will definitely hold back on gui elements more than features. Getting features out there in th betas is beneficial to the developers, but the gui stuff can be postponed a bit to allow for some WOW factor closer to launch
    iPhone Newbie

From what I remember of the 'released' features of os 3 they are mostly about what people have been complaining are missing... like copy/paste and MMS. So they announce that stuff in order to stop the griefers from saying, 'don't get an iphone it doesn't have xyz like every other smartphone out there'. Then at keynote they start touting all the missing features as it's in there now and then <Emril impersionation>BAMM!</Emril impersionation> something new (truly new not just a 'missing' feature).

So yeah, I think they are holding back something.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

that's the way the business works - it's be a terrible business move for them to reveal all of their new features months before the release....and when release time rolls around, everyone gets exactly what they knew was coming?

Naww, that's not how to make money. They'll create buzz with the info we've received, then pop up a surprise or two on release day to pull more in.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

I am sure apple is holding something back as for what it will be I don't know... I would love an improved calendar app or at least open up the databases so developers can make software that can be tied directly to MobileMe. Push is going to be nice, as well as the cut and paste, MMS, and more landscape enabled apps. A few improvements on the calendar, notes, and a native to-do list app tied to the calendar I would be totally happy with my iphone. Oh yea and free tethering to a laptop/netPC (this is more of an AT&T thing than apple though).
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    392 Global Posts

I think they will wait till Palm announces the date the pre will be released, and then Bam, pow are going to release and announce updates to steal Palms thunder.
    iPhone Beginner

I'm not sure if this was coming or mentioned but is native program turn off features in 3.0?

On my phone, the last page is for the native programs that I never use. They are, iTunes, contacts (just double click home) and photos (just go into camera).

As far as UI changes, are you talking about the ability change icons and names of the applications along with custom background and such?

I would personally not like to see icon changes on native apps because I'm so used to it now. Not a bad idea for someone who would like to change it up but I would not be one using it.
    iPhone Intermediate

I think they are holding back what company lays all their cards on the table. Come june some crazy new feature will come out. The iphone is weird in that i will get bored and hate it for a week and it brings me back the next week. I think apple will drop something new that will make it just so much better to use.
    16 gb iphone (no service)/Palm pre

http://twitter.com/Jeffdc5
    TiPb Forum Staff

Global Posts
    1,898 Global Posts

I think they are....maybe a few UI tweaks...and I am looking for Exchange Task support! Come on Apple!
    http://twitter.com/jamesus

If I have helped you, don't forget to tip the scales!
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts

I'm hoping one of those things they're going to surprise us on is vastly improved battery life. IMO, the iPhone has one true weakness: less than great battery life. This'll be especially critical when many of us start using the high-powered battery-sucking GPS apps that will be coming with 3.0.
    App and photo editor

Global Posts
    1,466 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnelrunner View Post
    I'm hoping one of those things they're going to surprise us on is vastly improved battery life. IMO, the iPhone has one true weakness: less than great battery life. This'll be especially critical when many of us start using the high-powered battery-sucking GPS apps that will be coming with 3.0.
    I think this'll be what comes with a new announced iPhone
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    19,870 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by llofte View Post
    I think this'll be what comes with a new announced iPhone
    Same... 3.0 does seem to have better battery power, but the type everyone may be looking for will probably come in a new iPhone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast