iPhone redesign - a possibility?

John T

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
In addition to ideas for all the "obvious" upgrades that have already been covered in other threads (camera, memory software etc,etc.) I can't help thinking that the time will surely come when Apple have to carry out a redesign of the overall shape of the iPhone.

In order to maintain market share, Apple's competitors are almost continually changing the appearance of their products. In my opinion, sooner or later, Apple will have to join the design rat-race! Moreover, Apple will need a "new look" iPhone for the benefit of the gadget collectors, posers and show offs who want to make it obvious to their pals that they have the latest model! :rolleyes:

The trouble is, how on earth are they going to do it? - they can't realistically change the size of the screen (that's its main strength), different coloured backs must be impracticable as it would surely be a manufacturing nightmare! Any ideas?

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Hmm, that's something to think about, but I don't know if I really think it's necessary. The iPhone is a great shape (IMO). It fits in your pocket well, it fits in the hand very nicely. Apple has never really changed the shapes of their iPod lines, just came out with a different version.

Well, okay, they did, but not for a long while. iMacs still look similar to older versions, just a little revamped and cleaner around the edges.

That's kind of the part I like about Apple, instead of trashing a good product and making a new one, they simply refine what they already have. To me, that gets things as close to perfect as possible.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, I don't really see Apple dramatically changing the design of the iPhone. Over time it may become thinner and maybe change the plastic, but I don't see much else changing.

cbramsey5898

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I have always thought that Apple did a very good job with regard to designing their products for human factors. The only change I think I would make is to replace the plastic back cover for something more durable.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Yeah, I'd have to say I'm not so sure you will see any major changes in terms of it's look. Only thing I can say I'm hoping for is to get away from plastic.

DVDBob

Dec 30, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, I'd have to say I'm not so sure you will see any major changes in terms of it's look. Only thing I can say I'm hoping for is to get away from plastic.
Some think that the plastic back was done on purpose to help improve Cell and Wi-Fi reception. Remember, the first iPhone had a metal back, so it could have been carried through to the next one.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Some think that the plastic back was done on purpose to help improve Cell and Wi-Fi reception. Remember, the first iPhone had a metal back, so it could have been carried through to the next one.

Eh, I don't know about that. The antenna was on the bottom where the plastic piece was so it was not covered by metal. Either way I'm sure Apple could figure something out.

iBoxtaboy

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I would like a matte textured back instead of the glossy texture they use currently. Would also be nice if they went back to an aluminum case back, as they are not vulnerable to cracking like the plastic is. Metal, however, dents, so I guess that's the tradeoff.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2