Unexpected text message from nearby i-phone

keyman#IM

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I was sitting in class and my I-phone signaled an unexepected incoming phone text message from a friend in the room. This person did not know my phone number or anything, and yet they were able to send a text message to my I-phone from their I-phone, and they would not tell me how. How is this done? My Bluetooth switch was 'off', by the way. I am concerned now that he can access my other stuff on my phone just be being nearby. He said he is able sometimes to look at other text messages on nearby phones, including photo attachments, etc. He said it was not a special app, just something you can access on your phone. Is this true? What is going on? I would really appreciate someone explaining it... Thanks in advance.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
If they know someone that knows your phone number they probably said they were going to punk you and your friend with your number thought that would be funny.

keyman#IM

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I really appreciate the responses, but my concern is that my cell phone number is really guarded pretty carefully, and no one - I mean no one except my parents - know that number, and they tell me they have never given it out. Even when I fill out forms that require me to fill in my cell phone number, I do not give out that number. It is so closely guarded (my friend in class does not know how carefully I guard that phone number) that I cannot think of any way possible that he would have had that number. Are you experts quite certain that he had to have it - there is no other way at all?

Alos I understand that as recently as 2005, there were special applicatioons like Bloover that could do exactly what I inquired about - get inside a bluetooth enabled phone and access the data, but I had understood those vulnerabilities had been repaired back in that time frame. Is that not true? Does anyone know of any current vulnerabilities on the I-phone? I am aware of the one that was fixed with respect to people accessing your text messages physically when holding your phone in their hand, but I never have heard of anything like what I personally witnessed, nor have I heard of any current vulnerabilities. I apologize for asking the same question over and over again, but I am incredulous that this low-tech individual was able to send me a message like that when my phone number is so closely protected. And I do appreciate your responses.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I really appreciate the responses, but my concern is that my cell phone number is really guarded pretty carefully, and no one - I mean no one except my parents - know that number, and they tell me they have never given it out. Even when I fill out forms that require me to fill in my cell phone number, I do not give out that number. It is so closely guarded (my friend in class does not know how carefully I guard that phone number) that I cannot think of any way possible that he would have had that number. Are you experts quite certain that he had to have it - there is no other way at all?

Alos I understand that as recently as 2005, there were special applicatioons like Bloover that could do exactly what I inquired about - get inside a bluetooth enabled phone and access the data, but I had understood those vulnerabilities had been repaired back in that time frame. Is that not true? Does anyone know of any current vulnerabilities on the I-phone? I am aware of the one that was fixed with respect to people accessing your text messages physically when holding your phone in their hand, but I never have heard of anything like what I personally witnessed, nor have I heard of any current vulnerabilities. I apologize for asking the same question over and over again, but I am incredulous that this low-tech individual was able to send me a message like that when my phone number is so closely protected. And I do appreciate your responses.

You said blutooth was off anyways. Even though that would not have made a difference. The person knows your number.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
What he claims to have done just is not true and also is not possible. If it was it would be well known and all over the internet about how the iPhone is not secure and people can get into them and read other's messages.

I don't see how only your parents have your cell number, why get the iPhone if your only going to talk to 2 people. Someone else has to have your number or you setup some instant messenger to text you messages.

Your friend's played you, that's what happened. Your number isn't on facebook or anywhere else and you have given it out to ZERO friends?

keyman#IM

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Yes - on line, as it is an ATT account. It just seemed so unlikely. I use the phone for e-mail and very little else, as that is the agreement I have with my dad. Limited use until June. My iphone is new, and we had planned to phase out my other phone when the contract is up in June, and I only wanted togive the new number out to people that I really wanted to have it, and I had given it to no one yet. I had been so careful. He had the gmail account name that was set up on that phone, but not the number in any way that I can think of.

Oh, well. A warm thanks to all who answered, and if I ever learn what he really did, I will post it. Thanks again.

keyman#IM

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Instant Messenger Question

Also I do not know if I had set up some instant messenger thing, as I do not know the i-phone very well yet. Perhaps I did that and did not know what I was doing?

rknowlt

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
New to online forums as well I'd assume? Instead of double posting within a few minutes of eachother it would have been better to just use "edit."

I have no idea how the kid managed to pull this off, but I am interested to hear it when you do get to the bottom of this mystery.

rknowlt

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
Happens to the best of us. On this forum you can get away with it. I've seen others where a double post is just asking to be super flamed on. Glad to see we are accepting of eachother here. :p

keyman#IM

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi - yes I am new - at least to this board. I just thought the posting did not go thru - sorry about the double post.

He now says it is illegal application/modification to his phone done by a guy in St. Pete. I think you are correct, though. I suspect that somehow he got the new phone number and did not want to tell me how he got it. Maybe he saw my purchase receipts or something. Who knows. I appreciate all of you for responding to my question and tolerating my double posting without flaming me. Have a great day.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2