semi-Noob going to Kuwait... need some "best practice" advice

bassface

Feb 11, 2009
Visit site
Hey y'all...
I've had the 3g v2.2.1 for a month or 2 now and so far so good and I have left the phone in a virgin state (no jailbreak or unlocking).

I will be heading to Kuwait in a couple of weeks (for a week) & want/need some help in making my trip as connected, convenient and economical as possible.

What are my best options?
From what I've been able to find (which hasn't been a lot or is quite dated) it seems my best option would be to unlock & get a prepaid local SIM.

Any and all pointers, leads & suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance! :D

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Well since you are on 2.2.1 a software unlock is out of the question. You'd have to purchase a sim unlock, which is not something I recommend.

tonybove

Mar 27, 2009
www.tonybove.com
If you Google "unlocked iphone in kuwait" the top link is an interesting solution that uses the Zain network. I've never been to Kuwait, but if I had little time and was only going to spend a month or less there, I'd consider using Skype for iPhone and make do with Wi-Fi only for calls. You can set up a Wi-Fi (if none avail. in a hotel/cafe) with an ethernet connection and an Apple Airport Express.

Data Roaming may be possible there, but way too expensive, I'd use it only for an emergency.

bassface

Feb 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks y'all.... as far as Zain network goes.. I found an American born Kuwaiti blogger who is now living over there & according to them to buy anything from Zain you need a local ID of sorts.

So it's looking like I'll have to restrict myself to wifi stuff only.....
I just got the Skype app as I've heard nothing but good things about skype, albeit the desktop app.

Anyone have any feedback on the Skype app or suggestions on any other wifi calling apps that would be better suited for my needs?
thnx again
-K

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234