Semi-n00b has one quick a question...;)

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
So I'm digging this iPhone 3G now...After 2 failed attempts and a bunch of $$$ made by selling 'em lol...I decided to go with another one, as I heard good things about OS 2.2 (and now 2.2.1 of course). :)

Now, I installed a boatload of free and paid apps, and I accidentally clicked on an app, and I couldn't stop it (even with hitting the Back button), etc. This app is a dating app, and cost $20!!! I never wanted it. I wanted one immediately above it.

I figured out how to make sure this doesn't happen again, so now, I have to click one more time to confirm each purchase. Lesson learned.

However, now, Apple says I owe them $24.xx, because apparently I had only $6 on that particular pre-paid credit card (a rebate card from AT&T), and now I cannot do even downloads that are free!??!?! Why did the VISA card even authorize this purchase of this application, being that there wasn't even enough money left on the card???

I've had this baby for only a couple of weeks, so I'm not really that well-versed in iPhone-ese yet.

So naturally, I would like to get rid of this app. If I just delete it, will it come off the bill? I don't think the AppStore is that sophisticated yet. So is there any way of getting the charge off, and the application removed, besides just deleting it from my iPhone 3G, which I do know how to do.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks,

Crunch

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
You can try calling Apple and explaining what happened and maybe you can get them to remove the charges. If you simply delete it, the charge will not go away. The app is store within your iTunes account for good now.

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
I'm sorry. I don't quite understand. I tried putting another card on it, but the system expects me to pay off the app I never wanted first.

At any rate, if I just get a different account (diff. email address, diff card, etc.), and become a "new' customer, will I get to keep the apps I bought and all the free ones I've installed? I kind of don't like using the email address I have on there right now anyway. I only chose it because I was, and, obviously, still am somewhat of a n00b.

There are at least SIX apps I would like to buy right now if I could. :(

Thanks again Bad Ash. I hope you can help me again. Or maybe ONE other person???

Thank you. ;)

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
You need to call Apple and explain your situation. They will probably help you.

You can use another email address as your account and "purchase" your free ones again, but you can't just transfer your purchased apps to another account. Whenever an update is released for one of those apps, you will need to log into that account in order to get the free upgrade.

Your iPhone gets synced to your computer, and each account can be associated with up to 5 computers. So you can have apps from as many accounts as you want on your iPhone. You can still keep your apps if you chose to make a new account, you just can't get the free updates on an app that's associated on the first account without logging back into it. Am I making sense? I personally have apps from 3 different accounts on my iPhone. About a week after the app store was launched, I decided to use my new MobileMe account as my primary iTunes account. So that put me at 2 accounts. I also have access to my parents account so I can steal their apps ;) But it is defintely annoying to have multiple accounts when getting updates. I think I have a total of 5 accounts associated with my computer... very annoying.

Anyway, your main concern right now is to call Apple and explain to them that you made a mistake.

Here. About halfway down this page there are instructions on how to report an accidental purchase Apple - Support - iTunes Store - Buy Troubleshooting FAQ

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711