Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Will there be a 3rd gen iPhone in 2009?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

48 69.57%
  • No

21 30.43%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Poll: 3rd gen iPhone in 2009? Yes / No

Well Bad Ash has been saying he doesn't think a new iPhone will come out this year and I've been telling him he is crazy for the last couple months, but I think after this 3.0 preview today I've gone from thinking he is crazy to thinking he is probably right
    [ JUSTIN ]
    [ FOLLOW JUST ME ON TWITTER FOR RANDOM AND TECH RELATED STUFF ] [ @justin_horn ]
    [ FOLLOW MY BLOG WHEN WILL APPLE ON TWITTER ] [ @whenwillapple ]
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

My eyes lit up when I saw that you started this thread... If they were to introduce a new phone with the power to multitask, etc... new software would have to be included... at least I think so. So... I've said before, and I'll say it again... no major changes this year folks. I'm sure many of you think I am crazy... but that's ok.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ash View Post
    I'm sure many of you think I am crazy... but that's ok.
    Well you can finally take me off that list

Never thought this day would come, but apparently we are on the same page on something.
    [ JUSTIN ]
    [ FOLLOW JUST ME ON TWITTER FOR RANDOM AND TECH RELATED STUFF ] [ @justin_horn ]
    App and photo editor

Global Posts
    1,466 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

I think since apple made a point to talk about how letting apps run in the background would suck up a lot of battery, they are going to announce a new iPhone in June with some awesome new battery. If you have the new iPhone, then you'll have an extra option in your settings to allows apps to run in the background.

Oh, and I'll always think Bad Ash is crazy
    Last edited by Leanna Lofte; 03-17-2009 at 02:42 PM.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by llofte View Post
    I think since apple made a point to talk about how letting apps run in the background would suck up a lot of battery, they are going to announce a new iPhone in June with some awesome new battery. If you have the new iPhone, then you'll have an extra option in your settings to allows apps to run in the background.
    These were my thoughts a couple hours ago, but with this huge update and the economic state it really doesn't make sense for them to release a new iPhone this year. Although we might not need to wait for June/July of 2010, maybe we'll see one in January instead?
    [ JUSTIN ]
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts

I don't think so... but who knows!
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    770 Global Posts

I hope one doesn't come this year. It would certainly save me some money
    iPhone Intermediate

Of course not. They're not Casio.
    iPhone Nanite

I have an iTouch now and am considering upgrading to an iPhone. Do you think I am better off waiting to see if Apple does come out with a new iPhone this summer or should I just buy one now and upgrade the software to 3.0 when it comes out?
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    707 Global Posts

i am in the exact same boat now. buy now or wait. I would hate to buy one now only to have a new one come out this summer....
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    314 Global Posts

I'll be more than satisfied if they come out with a 32GB version with all of the 3.0 software goodness!
    TiPb Forum Staff

Global Posts
    1,898 Global Posts

I'm saying no, but will be happily proven wrong!!!
    http://twitter.com/jamesus

If I have helped you, don't forget to tip the scales!
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Quote Originally Posted by jamesus View Post
    I'm saying no, but will be happily proven wrong!!!
    My thoughts exactly!
    [ JUSTIN ]
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

I'd bet a 32GB version comes out with little other revision. The best case would be a compass with new Gmaps and slightly faster processor, but I really doubt they'll do anything like multitasking for another year and then with a big hardware upgrade. Frankly that would be smart given the economic conditions.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

I dunno, but Apple has a usual time frame for each release. July seems to be the one for the iPhone. If they come out with one that is better than just a hardware refresh, I might do an early upgrade.
    iMore Actual

Global Posts
    2,373 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I've said all along, Apple will always refresh every year to get the Xmas sales, even if it's just 32GB and red

However, if iPhone 2,1 is real, then it will be at least as different from 1,2 (iPhone 3G) as the second gen iPod touch is from the first gen (volume buttons, etc.)

Hardware refresh FTW!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,222 Global Posts

Apple has no choice. They HAVE to release new hardware in 2009. All other phone makers are more-less on an annual release cycle. Apple has to do so to remain competitive.
    I don't expect the new hardware to be earth shattering. Some minor hardware and UI tweaks, maybe improved camera, memory and flash. Otherwise an evolution of the iPhone 3G much the way iPhone 3G was to the orig.
    Not something you have to run out and upgrade to, but something fresh to keep the momentum.

Indicators that there is a new one coming:
    1) iPhone 3g refurbish prices have dropped.
    2) Some evidence that AT&T is going to have an iPhone 'trade' in credit for those that want to upgrade while still in contract (early upgrade.) What do AT&T be trying to help you upgrade to.
    3) iPhone software 3.0 is coming in July, probably will be in sync with a new hardware release.
    iPhone Nanite

Yes, of course they will. They need to introduce a new iPhone every year to keep their steady money flow. But seriously, I have a sneaking suspicion that they will be releasing a new one, in the summer again, with video support. Here are two good reasons:

1. The new model must have the "exclusive" feature like the iPhone 3G had 3G.
    2. Apple, Kevin Rose, numorous sources are saying no video because the current phone has issues and cannot fully support it. The new phone can be tweaked for video.
    3. I WILL BE BUYING IT!
    iPhone Newbie

Default I think so...

I think there will be. At the keynote today, they said the 3.0 update would be released this summer. Why so long? I'm thinking they're gonna release this update along with a new iPhone. Even if they don't, I'm still gonna be happy with the update.
    iPhone Newbie

Here is my dilemma... my wife is begging for an iPhone and I have a 3G I purchased last September. I have been pushing her off with the "new iPhone likely in June" rumors so I could buy the new model and give her my current phone, but now I am not so sure.

I guess it probably makes sense for me to wait and see and come summer bite the bullet if I have to.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

I hope not! I just brought my iPhone 2 weeks ago. LOL
    TiPb Fourm Staff

iOS Version
    iOS 7.0

I'm with BadAsh77 .. for the same reasoning.. there would need to be new software, different/more than what they introduced yesterday

I'm not upset though as I've had my 16GB only for about 2 months..
    Twitter = JHamilton24
  23. Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

Quote Originally Posted by jhamilton3 View Post
    I'm with BadAsh77 .. for the same reasoning.. there would need to be new software, different/more than what they introduced yesterday
    I don't see this as the main reason though. They didn't want to talk about any iPhone hardware at this event so they could have purposely left out features that would require this, such as background applications. They could always add more features to the 3.0 firmware prior to the release of a 3rd gen iPhone.

Also, the Rose diggnation video, he says something like, no background apps, but they will come at some point. He seemed to hesitate so maybe he knows more and doesn't want to give it all away yet.

With that said, I still don't feel confident anymore that we will see a new iPhone this year. I think they could break their normal cycle and release one before June of 2010 though.
    [ JUSTIN ]
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    589 Global Posts

I don't think there will be a new iPhone this summer. I think they'll wait until next year when the early 3G adopter's contracts are up. I think the fact that MMS and A2DP will not work on the original iPhone is just a ploy by Apple to get those original iPhone owners to upgrade to the 3G and spend that extra $10/mo. on data.

I will still be waiting until July to see if I'm wrong and a new iPhone does come out, but even if I'm right, I'll still be buying a 3G. 3.0 has given the iPhone everything I kept my BlackBerry for.
  25. Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  

Quote Originally Posted by legendofdon View Post
    I think the fact that MMS and A2DP will not work on the original iPhone is just a ploy by Apple to get those original iPhone owners to upgrade to the 3G and spend that extra $10/mo. on data.
    Possible, but I think a 3G radio and GPS would be enough for most people to want to upgrade. If someone's reason for upgrading is to get MMS and not 3G and GPS...well no comment
    [ JUSTIN ]
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast