• Yes

Votes: 48 69.6%
  • No

Votes: 21 30.4%

• Total voters

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Well Bad Ash has been saying he doesn't think a new iPhone will come out this year and I've been telling him he is crazy for the last couple months, but I think after this 3.0 preview today I've gone from thinking he is crazy to thinking he is probably right :eek:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
My eyes lit up when I saw that you started this thread... If they were to introduce a new phone with the power to multitask, etc... new software would have to be included... at least I think so. So... I've said before, and I'll say it again... no major changes this year folks. I'm sure many of you think I am crazy... but that's ok.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
I think since apple made a point to talk about how letting apps run in the background would suck up a lot of battery, they are going to announce a new iPhone in June with some awesome new battery. If you have the new iPhone, then you'll have an extra option in your settings to allows apps to run in the background. :)

Oh, and I'll always think Bad Ash is crazy :D

Last edited:

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I think since apple made a point to talk about how letting apps run in the background would suck up a lot of battery, they are going to announce a new iPhone in June with some awesome new battery. If you have the new iPhone, then you'll have an extra option in your settings to allows apps to run in the background. :)

These were my thoughts a couple hours ago, but with this huge update and the economic state it really doesn't make sense for them to release a new iPhone this year. Although we might not need to wait for June/July of 2010, maybe we'll see one in January instead?

StinaBaNina

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
I have an iTouch now and am considering upgrading to an iPhone. Do you think I am better off waiting to see if Apple does come out with a new iPhone this summer or should I just buy one now and upgrade the software to 3.0 when it comes out?

gruswitz

Aug 21, 2006
Visit site
I'd bet a 32GB version comes out with little other revision. The best case would be a compass with new Gmaps and slightly faster processor, but I really doubt they'll do anything like multitasking for another year and then with a big hardware upgrade. Frankly that would be smart given the economic conditions.

Zexel

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
I dunno, but Apple has a usual time frame for each release. July seems to be the one for the iPhone. If they come out with one that is better than just a hardware refresh, I might do an early upgrade.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I've said all along, Apple will always refresh every year to get the Xmas sales, even if it's just 32GB and red :)

However, if iPhone 2,1 is real, then it will be at least as different from 1,2 (iPhone 3G) as the second gen iPod touch is from the first gen (volume buttons, etc.)

Hardware refresh FTW!

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
Apple has no choice. They HAVE to release new hardware in 2009. All other phone makers are more-less on an annual release cycle. Apple has to do so to remain competitive.
I don't expect the new hardware to be earth shattering. Some minor hardware and UI tweaks, maybe improved camera, memory and flash. Otherwise an evolution of the iPhone 3G much the way iPhone 3G was to the orig.
Not something you have to run out and upgrade to, but something fresh to keep the momentum.

Indicators that there is a new one coming:
1) iPhone 3g refurbish prices have dropped.
2) Some evidence that AT&T is going to have an iPhone 'trade' in credit for those that want to upgrade while still in contract (early upgrade.) What do AT&T be trying to help you upgrade to.
3) iPhone software 3.0 is coming in July, probably will be in sync with a new hardware release.

dinosaur

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Yes, of course they will. They need to introduce a new iPhone every year to keep their steady money flow. But seriously, I have a sneaking suspicion that they will be releasing a new one, in the summer again, with video support. Here are two good reasons:

1. The new model must have the "exclusive" feature like the iPhone 3G had 3G.
2. Apple, Kevin Rose, numorous sources are saying no video because the current phone has issues and cannot fully support it. The new phone can be tweaked for video.
3. I WILL BE BUYING IT!

CHiRS

Sep 24, 2008
chrislae.posterous.com
I think so...

I think there will be. At the keynote today, they said the 3.0 update would be released this summer. Why so long? I'm thinking they're gonna release this update along with a new iPhone. Even if they don't, I'm still gonna be happy with the update.

Rock48nj

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
Here is my dilemma... my wife is begging for an iPhone and I have a 3G I purchased last September. I have been pushing her off with the "new iPhone likely in June" rumors so I could buy the new model and give her my current phone, but now I am not so sure.

I guess it probably makes sense for me to wait and see and come summer bite the bullet if I have to.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen