What do you want from iPhone OS 3.0?

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
This is just making me lean towards no major hardware revision... which is not a bad thing. It is all about software in my opinion.

As much as I would love to have a hardware bump, I can also deal with not spending $500 in a few months! :D

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
This is just making me lean towards no major hardware revision... which is not a bad thing. It is all about software in my opinion.

Naw, I'm not gonna rule out hardware changes yet. They did it like this last year. Announced and gave sneak peaks about 2.0 in the spring then announced 3G in June a few weeks before it was released.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com

I disagree. This is currently Apple's hottest product and with completion from the Pre and others starting to creep in they will want to crush them before they can get a footing. Yes, the software alone could make a really big difference, I just don't think that will be all.

Also, they did a big 2.0 update along with the iPhone 3g so I think we'll see both.

Guess we'll find out soon enough :)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Naw, I'm not gonna rule out hardware changes yet. They did it like this last year. Announced and gave sneak peaks about 2.0 in the spring then announced 3G in June a few weeks before it was released.

Yeah, but everyone knew that hardware changes were something that had to be done and I said major hardware changes. To be clear I never said any...

Either way it does not really matter much to me. I have a pile of cash ready to go if need be.

Buckle up... it's going to be crazy... ;)

(And Dizzy, you always disagree with me.)

Just updated... 3.0 to include MMS and Tethering via bluetooth and usb!

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I'd like a task manager that allows you to select ~5 apps to keep running in the background and kill apps that are running and you want to stop (such as safari or the iPod).

Also, wireless radio manager on the home screen so I don't have to go into the settings and then 2-3 layers deep to turn off WiFi/3G/Bluetooth. I always used the radio manager on my WinMo phones heavily, and lots of phones had one touch access to said manager.

Copy/paste would be nice.

Wireless sync, either over Wifi or bluetooth. If the Zune can do it why not the iPhone?

TBH, MMS and tethering are 2 things I will never use. To me tethering with the iPhone completely defeats the purpose of owning an iPhone. You have the internet, tunes, email, games, and nearly elevendy-billion other things you can do with it. Why would you still want to carry around your laptop just to hook up your iPhone so you can go online? It's so nice when I go to the airport now, while everyone is pulling their laptops out and emptying their pockets I just put my iPhone in the tray and that's it, I'm ready to go (as soon as I can escape all the people who ask me about how I like my iPhone and not having to carry on a bag and tons of crap.)

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
With the tethering, would you have to pay for a separate data plan?

I would love to be able to send/receive ringtones.

Chris

taroliw

Apr 5, 2005
www.billsden.org
Um, if they're ready to announce, the functional and design specifications are very likely fixed. Might still be in late coding or early testing... but I'd expect beta by time of announcement.

There are lots of things I'm sure we'd all like to see... but those are well documented now. ;) I'm more inclined to just wait patiently for the announcement, then again for the release, and then again after that for the jailbreak to be ready. Oh... and I thank the jailbreak (and the lovely developers that write around the (currently) draconian SDK) for taking alot of my angst about waiting for new iPhone OS releases away. I can do today all the things I really want/need.

If Apple finds it's way to improving things then great... yay even. But I'm tired of being anxious and peeing myself every time they hint at a release. I am waiting to see if it's something really worthy of making my heart beat faster.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I don't use MMS, I'd probably use tethering if it was inexpensive enough.

Even cut and paste is a rare thing I notice lacking.

Give me some basic Push Notifications or Background Processes. Do I really want Tweetie to show 27182718 new tweets? Not sure, but I wanna try!

Also, better notifications. Both Android and Palm Pre have improved notification systems. Apple could kill at that.

And Mobile iChat -- just so Chad will stop beating up on Dieter over it!

jasonact

May 30, 2008
www.jasonmartinmft.com
iPhone OS 3.0 and new SDK? Yes!

MMS support? NOOOOOO!

MMS is an archaic technology, and the sooner it dies, the better. I was hoping that by the iPhone avoiding it, Apple could lead the push away from MMS in favor of mobile email. If this rumor is true, that would be a step backwards, IMO.

What I really want to see is limited multitasking, which is very possible, and video recording, which is unlikely. If I get those two, I'll be set.

cre8tivspirit

Dec 30, 2008
Visit site
What about some of the cosmetic perks we jailbreak for?

I for one would love to be able to theme my phone without having to jailbreak it. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate everything that the jailbreak guys do for iphone but being able to theme it is something I shouldn't have to jailbreak my phone for.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
MMS support? NOOOOOO!

MMS is an archaic technology, and the sooner it dies, the better. I was hoping that by the iPhone avoiding it, Apple could lead the push away from MMS in favor of mobile email. If this rumor is true, that would be a step backwards, IMO.

My thoughts exactly

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
With the tethering, would you have to pay for a separate data plan?

Almost 100% there will be an additional charge.

Software changes I would like to see:

1. Better overall Exchange support (Tasks, calendar invites, etc)
2. Better handling of notifications (snooze reminders, etc)
3. Push notifications
4. Better power management
5. SBSettings type control for phone/bluetooth/wifi

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox