What do you want from iPhone OS 3.0?

kbd517#IM

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
I only want one simple little thing. OPEN THE FREAKIN' CALENDAR API! All of the productivity/calendar/task apps I love (Pocket Informant is awaiting approval!!!) would be instantly improved. Make it so these apps can use the internal calendar data and have internal alarms & alerts so I don't have to get SMS alarms, which I absolutely despise.

calum86

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
i really hope that they allow you to properly organise your apps in folders with 3.0. I have 9 pages of apps now and i hate scrolling between all the pages all the time!

jeversion1

Dec 20, 2008
www.myspace.com
for sure

as much as i agree about mms being troublesome on some carriers its way better than me asking every friend ...."whats your carrier" before i decided to type their phone number before the gateway....which i also have to remember because i dont have copy and paste. I know everyone says they dont really notice but coming from a blackberry its very different thinking of doing all these extra steps. One of the main things apple ever says is that IT JUST WORKS but usually technology is supposed to work for you and let you accomplish things better. So on that front they should just give it to us. But for my wish list. If i could honestly do more internal settings such as but not limited to theming i would be happier. And if we are going to upgrade our memory will be shot im sure so task management would do good. and with all of this....our batteries will die even faster so please better access to turn of my 3g, wifi, location support and whatever else that apple claims you should turn off on your state of the art device that makes it essentially watered down after so that it will last more than 6 hrs at most.

i sound bitter dont i? Im not, i love that my iphone has a better interface, the best web, better touchscreen and gestures, and the easiest sync with my other apple products. Its just missing the multi tasking and inner workings and settings that blackberry and winmo users enjoy.

kiwisholland

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
1) Threaded MMS
-Maybe its a dino, but so many people use it. When we were just in San Francisco, I wanted to send pics quickly. I dont have ANYONES email memorized, but all my contacts can receive MMS pics on their RAZOR.... It takes until 3.0 for this? And swirly hasn't worked for me

2) Copy and Paste
-I would love a real explanation why this isn't available yet

3) "Live links" in Calendar (Maybe Pocket Informant will make this moot)
-If I have a phone number in the notes section of an appointment, I want to be able to tap to dial. Something the "laughable" WM has done forever
-I want to be able to tap an address in calendar and have it come up in Maps

4) I want to be able to continue to use all of my essential jailbreak apps (many of which address the wishes here)

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
While I don't hate it I will say it is way over rated. Email is simply of better quality and a lot more reliable. Most of the time MMS messages from carrier to carrier end up taking forever to be received. When you call your carrier to complain they are never able to fix it and simply blame your friends carrier. The reason for this is there is nothing they can do. All of the carriers high a 3rd party company to handle the routing of these messages and if they are delayed it is this companies issue, not your carrier. When it works, yes it is nice... But email like I said, is way more reliable.

Well when you are like me and more than half of your friends don't have email on their phones, it would be nice.

scaliasphone

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm coming from a BlackBerry Bold, so I am definitely looking for more integration and why, for the love of God, do I have to jailbreak or buy an app for tasks??? If the iPhone is a smart phone, a task app that is NATIVE should not have to be requested.....should have shipped on the first OS.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I'm coming from a BlackBerry Bold, so I am definitely looking for more integration and why, for the love of God, do I have to jailbreak or buy an app for tasks??? If the iPhone is a smart phone, a task app that is NATIVE should not have to be requested.....should have shipped on the first OS.

The same reason tons of people on Crackberry download leaked roms? Or shop in the Crackberry store?

No phone is perfect. No Blackberry, no Windows Mobile phone, etc...

Last edited:

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
I'll go ahead and jump on the MMS bandwagon. And while I'm at it, it would also be nice to be able to forward text messages. In lieu of that (or better yet, in addition to that) copy & paste that can be used in every app with text would be swell. Anything else (and I'm sure there will be at least a few other goodies that nobody outside of Apple even thought about) would be icing on the cake.

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
MMS Question:

On ATT plans, there appears an item on the bill (a free item) called MMS OptOut. Its mostly a book keeping entry to tell their system to intercept MMS messages sent to the phone and put them on a web page, and then send you a link to the page.

So the question becomes, if MMS should show up, will ATT have to remove that before MMS will work?

Does Rogers have an equivalent thing?

Will ATT charge for MMS beyond what they do for SMS

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
MMS Question:

On ATT plans, there appears an item on the bill (a free item) called MMS OptOut. Its mostly a book keeping entry to tell their system to intercept MMS messages sent to the phone and put them on a web page, and then send you a link to the page.

So the question becomes, if MMS should show up, will ATT have to remove that before MMS will work?

Does Rogers have an equivalent thing?

Will ATT charge for MMS beyond what they do for SMS

If they do charge more for MMS, I don't want it... but I doubt they will. MMS on Blackberry plans have unlimited messages and that includes sms and mms.

taroliw

Apr 5, 2005
www.billsden.org
OK... here's one... one that captures a lot of what people have already said.

Apple? Want to something worthy of the 3.0 label? I have just one request:

Make the jailbreak unnecessary.

ppennza

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I hope they get a proper bluetooth stack especially rSAP so i can get traffic on my tomtom without having to switch to my bold. As a side note Swirly started working for me yesterday. Wonder if this has anything to do with testing begining on 3.0 with mms.

Jeep14

Feb 12, 2009
Visit site
I hope they get a proper bluetooth stack especially rSAP so i can get traffic on my tomtom without having to switch to my bold. As a side note Swirly started working for me yesterday. Wonder if this has anything to do with testing begining on 3.0 with mms.

A2DP as part of the Bluetooth stack is key for me. The Gym is just awful after 2 years of using my BT headphones.

parishyoung

Feb 10, 2009
Visit site
Oh they're good aren't they....

It's funny cause just this week I was starting to get bored of the iPhone and have been researching alternatives. Alternatives such as the HTC Touch Pro 2, the Palm Pre, and the Nokia N97.
Each one has it's own flaws though and essentially wouldn't fit into my current setup of Mac, Apple TV, Mobile Me, etc. So I think this announcement is pretty good timing.

As for the software though I have a few comments:
(in no particular order)

1. Calendar App - Week View
I'd love to have Week View, in Landscape mode on the iPhone.

2. SMS App Updates
Landscape keyboard, I think Apple would be foolish to miss this out this time. Especially after ATT's (even though I'm in the UK) recent survey of what we'd all like this MUST have been mentioned.

Also within this I'd like to be able to "Tap & Hold" on a message so it spins around and I can see some additional details about the message. For example date / time that the message was received, this normally gets lost in the thread. The number it was sent from (in case your friends / family have more than one number). and finally I'd like to know if a sent message has been received - Delivery Reports.

3. Tethering
Seems like a pretty good idea, especially if you have a MacBook, or MacBook Air, and need mobile internet access for a specific application. Also I think this would come in the handy when you are traveling with the (yet unreleased "iTablet" - lol) - I wonder though if you will be able to share your WiFi access or just cellular access??

4. Theme's
This is for the Mrs. I'm not really fussed on this but she would like it. I'm pretty anal about keeping my first HomeScreen with all the included Apple Apps (as well as Remote).

5. Bluetooth File Transfer
Been proved this week to be possible so why not?
I rarely used it on previous phones and haven't really missed it on the iPhone, but it could be handy for a new ringtone I suppose

And while I'm venting (although not directly related to software) I was really disappointed when Apple announced in Jan that they would definately NOT be including a hardware keyboard. Sucks.

Still I'm really intrigued as to what will be announced next week. Any thoughts on if the announcement will be recorded and made available to watch afterwards like last years??

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner