iphone 1g home button unresponsive after drop

iphonepaine

Feb 17, 2009
Visit site
My 1g phone fell out of my pocket and now the home button is completely unresponsive. Everything else works except for the home button. Also I received a phore call and the person could barely hear me. I had to scream into the phone.

I docked the phone and reinstalled the software. Nothing has worked and the phone is not jailbroken.

It is an origional and not under warranty. Can anyone recommend what I can do to fix this?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Probably not much you could do. Sounds like a hardware issue. You could buy the parts yourself or you can have Apple fix it for a charge.

iphonepaine

Feb 17, 2009
Visit site
Parts

Have any clue what parts I would need? I have tried to find an instruction video, as I think it might be the docking cable that ties to the home button, but I don't know as I have never taken one apart.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
No idea, but here is a site that sells parts. Like I mentioned you may be better off just paying Apple to fix it. Or use that money to upgrade to a 3G.

iphonepaine

Feb 17, 2009
Visit site
Well, that's the main issue. I already upgraded because I travel a lot and could not be without a phone. But mostly it was the pushover to upgrade. However, I want to get this fixed and give to my wife. Does anyone know a way I can fix this or diagnose the problem?

melwan

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Check this site. They sell a replacement Home Button (currently out of stock though, but I saw a few cheap ones on ebay) and if you scroll to the bottom, they have a video on how to open it and replace it.

I would recommend that you watch the video. If you are comfortable doing this, then get the part from ebay (or any other site that sells them - just make sure it's from the 2G not 3G) and replace it yourself. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, I recommend that you let Apple handle it. There are few sites that offer mail-in iPhone service, but to be honest, I don't trust them. Stick with Apple if you don't want to do it yourself.

I hope this is helpful.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711