please help, computer illiterate here

neildaigle

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
do i purchase internet from itunes of at&t? please help

Well first off, I purchased an iphone from a friend yesterday. Its a 2g, 16gb. I went to At&T and I was told to come home and make an iTunes account, so I did. She then said something about paying $20 a month for internet. Im looking all over iTunes to figure out how to purchase it and put it onto the phone itself since I made an account already. she then said to go back there and she will make me another sim card to put it. Please help!!!! thanks alot, neil

Last edited:

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
If you're really not familiar with computers and iPod/iTunes to begin with -- and while we're happy to help here as much as we can -- you may want to consider going back to your AT&T dealer and getting them to show you how to set it up.

If they won't help you, another great option is to go to an Apple Store if you have one nearby. You might need an appointment, but they're experts at giving hands-on demos on how to use the iPhone.

neildaigle

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
If you're really not familiar with computers and iPod/iTunes to begin with -- and while we're happy to help here as much as we can -- you may want to consider going back to your AT&T dealer and getting them to show you how to set it up.

If they won't help you, another great option is to go to an Apple Store if you have one nearby. You might need an appointment, but they're experts at giving hands-on demos on how to use the iPhone.

I will go to at&t tomorrow, I just don't know whether I purchase the internet from iTunes, or at&t. I just wanted to do everything I needed on the computer before I drive wayyyy to at&t again. thanks, neil

blakejackson

Feb 5, 2009
Visit site
If you have downloaded itunes onto your computer already, simply plug it in to the computer with itunes running. It will prompt you immediately to begin the activation process. The activation process is very simple. It will prompt you to pick your internet plan ($20 per month for unlimited) and your texting plan (200 texts for free, 1500 texts for $15 per month, and unlimited for $20 per month). If you would still rather be lead through the process, I would recommend going to an apple store if you have one nearby. They are going to be better at giving you hands-on demos. Because the reps in the at&t stores work on commission and aren't going to make any money off of your second-hand iphone purchase, the chances your finding one nice enough to really take the necessary time with you is going to be slim. It isn't right, but its the way it is unfortunately.

neildaigle

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I went to iTunes from my desktop, and the only thing it asks when I plug it up is about syncing music and pictures, then it asks if I want to upgrade to 2.2. The nearest Apple store is accross the state from me. I really appreciate yall tryin to help, its really driving me crazy. I signed up for itunes, I gave the credit card number and everything

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm a bit confused on what you have and have not done.

Does your phone work?

Has iTunes prompted you to activate your phone at all?

neildaigle

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
sorry for the confusion. at first the phone would just let me dial emergency numbers. then I hooked it up to iTunes and made an account and everytime I hook it up it it labels it as "Joyces iPhone" (my mothers name). now the phone comes on and such, like address book and camera and all of that. but I didn't purchase the internet on it, so I cant really do anything on it.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Have you tried doing a restore?

In iTunes go to the iPhone under Devices on the left. Then click restore. When prompted, chose to restore as new phone. I have a feeling the phone just a little confused ;)

Does it currently allow you to make phone calls? I'm under the impression you've only made an iTunes account, but nothing to do with AT&T.

neildaigle

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I can't make any calls because my sim card isn't inside. When I went to put my sim in, they told me to go to itunes, make an account, and then there will be a pop up for me to purchase to internet plan. but thats the problem, theres nothing about the internet. it just asks about syncing calendars and contacts and such. go to iTunes on the phone itself? I just tried on the phone and when I bring up Itunes, it says "Cannot Connect to the iTunes Store, you must connect to a wifi connection to view iTunes Store". I wish I could explain it better

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
You've never had the sim card in while having it plugged into your computer? You need to have it in. The sim is what communicates with AT&T.

Ok. Try this.

Put in the sim card.
Open iTunes on your computer.
Plug in iPhone.
On the left, the iPhone should show up under devices. Click it.
If you are given options about plans, great. If not,
Click restore.
When prompted, restore as new phone (not from backup)
It'll probably warn you about deleting data. That's fine and what you want.
When it's done restoring, eject and unplug iPhone.
Plug it back in.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Seeing as he keeps making reference to purchasing the internet, let me just say..

You don't "purchase the internet".

The $20 data charge is a monthly charge that is added on to your AT&T bill for internet use.

Chris

neildaigle

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
about the internet, that's what I mean. I feel like an idiot, I put in the sim and tried and it did come up lol. Im just waiting for the debit car to get home. its just the woman from at&t said that I have to get a new sim card so that's why I didn't put it in. After im finished paying for it on iTunes and everything, should the phone be "internet ready" and should I be able to use it? thanks again

neildaigle

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
it works!!

thanks for the help guys and gals, I got it up and running !! How do I get to the internet brower? they have a youtube icon, but I dont see how to go to dif. sites? thanks again!

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
thanks for the help guys and gals, I got it up and running !! How do I get to the internet brower? they have a youtube icon, but I dont see how to go to dif. sites? thanks again!

There should be an icon on the bottom (called the dock) that says Safari. This is your internet browser.

Glad you're up and running!!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2