A lot of people have the iPhone 2G rather then the 3G

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I've found it to be opposite actually. The sales numbers also back that up as well with iPhone 3G selling much better. People who I have seen with a 2G always seem to be unlocked on other carriers such as T-Mobile. I personally know of few people who use them on T-Mobile including my girlfriend. Or another reason they don't upgrade is that GPS and 3G are not that important. For me those are key features to a phone and are must haves.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
I've seen a lot more iPhone 3G's than 2G. When I had the original iPhone I felt extra cool because very few people seemed to have one :D Now everywhere I go there are iPhone 3Gs. Apple stopped selling the 2G after the 3G was released so it's not like people are choosing to purchase 2G's instead of 3G's. I think you just happen to see a lot of the originals floating around. I seem them very rarely.

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I've seen a lot more iPhone 3G's than 2G. When I had the original iPhone I felt extra cool because very few people seemed to have one :D Now everywhere I go there are iPhone 3Gs. Apple stopped selling the 2G after the 3G was released so it's not like people are choosing to purchase 2G's instead of 3G's. I think you just happen to see a lot of the originals floating around. I seem them very rarely.

This is true and I think it matters what area you are in as well. AT&T isn't good everywhere and it sucks for these power failures we've been having.

dooks88

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
The reason most apple employees have the 2g is because they all got one for free when the iPhone came out.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Yep, all US Apple Store employees got free iPhone 2Gs. A lot of Americans bought iPhone 2Gs as well, and may not have felt 3G was a needed upgrade.

Also, people who unlocked -- until recently -- had to stay with the 2G.

*Lot's* of iPhone 2Gs at Macworld this year.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Yep, all US Apple Store employees got free iPhone 2Gs. A lot of Americans bought iPhone 2Gs as well, and may not have felt 3G was a needed upgrade.

Also, people who unlocked -- until recently -- had to stay with the 2G.

*Lot's* of iPhone 2Gs at Macworld this year.

Even now it makes more sense to get a 2G to unlock simply because you won't get to use 3G anyways on Tmobile. (At least here in the US)

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
I still have a 2G . (love that emoji stuff!) I don't have the  to upgrade regularly, but I'm saving up for whatever June might bring (besides )!

Jeffdc5#IM

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Most people i see in NYC has the 3g cheaper and its the newer one everybody in NYC is into having the next big thing. I have a white 3g never like the metal on the 2g and I have at&T only pay 45 dollars a month for my phone with unlimited text gotta love family plansssssss. right now looking to team my iphone up with a nokia e71 and saving up for the next iphone my 3g will be going to my girlfriends little brother

Last edited:

brandonb6274

Dec 14, 2008
Visit site
I'm the only one of my friends to own a 3g all my other iphone carrying buddies carry the 2g. They tell me that b/c there able to update to the current OS and have use of WI/FI they see no reason to switch until next gen comes out hopefully this summer.

sommerface

Jan 10, 2009
www.thevoiceof3.com
I feel like more people have the 3G over the 2G. My friend has a 2G and was a wee bit jealous of the 3G. Of course, that has faded, and he'll have want every fancy next gen comes out this year...then I'll be jealous. LOL.

Stevie No-Wonder

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
The only iPhones I've ever seen are mine and the ones in the stores. Haven't met anyone yet with one. But then, I'm older and don't roll with too many hip people. :cool:

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
2G

I live in a rural area that doesn't yet offer 3G so I'm staying with my 2G and saving $10-/month. It does almost everything. I've got GPS in the car and even if I had a 3G most of the location based services would only find deer and turkeys! Seriously, though...we just don't have Starbucks on every corner so using the various social networking to find my friends via GPS just doesn't play here! I think that a lot of people are holding on to their 2G iPhones until there is a really compelling feature available that they can't get on the 2G.

dooks88

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I live in a rural area that doesn't yet offer 3G so I'm staying with my 2G and saving $10-/month. It does almost everything. I've got GPS in the car and even if I had a 3G most of the location based services would only find deer and turkeys! Seriously, though...we just don't have Starbucks on every corner so using the various social networking to find my friends via GPS just doesn't play here! I think that a lot of people are holding on to their 2G iPhones until there is a really compelling feature available that they can't get on the 2G.

If I didn't live in a 3g area, I would probably still have the original iPhone.

DVDBob

Dec 30, 2008
Visit site
For me, 3G was a must, but lots of my friends that had 2G didn't want to pay to upgrade. Their 2 year contract will be up soon and they'll be able to get the new one coming out this summer.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73