WiFi, Safari and Prepaid plans

Origommi

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
I read somewhere that if you connect to Safari using WiFi that it will eat up your minutes on a prepaid plan. Is this true? If it is, whats the best way to connect to WiFi? Thanks.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
To the best of my knowledge, you can't have a prepaid plan with the iPhone. At least not with AT&T, right?

Origommi

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
I purchased (havent got it yet) an unlocked 2G. Unlocked should work with any sim. Even ones that you have to prepay the minutes for. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

A. Yee

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
I read somewhere that if you connect to Safari using WiFi that it will eat up your minutes on a prepaid plan. Is this true? If it is, whats the best way to connect to WiFi? Thanks.

If you want to use your iPhone 3G on your prepaid plan, you can if you do the following:

1. You must jailbreak your iPhone.
2. You can install BossPref or SBSettings.
3. Disable 3G, Edge.

By doing the above, it will not eat your KB on your data plan. I have try it on my iPhone. My iPhone is currently on the prepaid plan.

If you don't disable 3G and Edge, for some strange thing, the iPhone will poll the internet and AT&T will charge you the 1 cent per kilobyte.

mth785

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
I am using the original iPhone pre-paid on AT&T. The use of wifi doesn't effect your pre-paid minutes.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Okay, I was referring to the 3G phone. I don't know much about the 2G phone.

I thought that when you put a AT&T sim card in the phone, and sync it, AT&T will automatically detect the iPhone on your account (phone number) and will charge you for the iPhone? If you jailbreak and install those program you can bypass that?

Chris

ojleblanc

Oct 28, 2004
Visit site
prepaid with original iphone and no data plan?

I am using the original iPhone pre-paid on AT&T. The use of wifi doesn't effect your pre-paid minutes.

Hi all,

I have been reading a lot of threads about using the iPhone with a prepaid SIM, but few folks appear to be in my particular situation, which is why I am posting here:

. I have an original iPhone
. Want to give it to my brother who uses AT&T prepaid
. He doesn't care about data plans (will use wifi only).

Can he just put his prepaid SIM in given no desire for data plan.
Or must I unlock or jailbreak the phone first.

Many thanks for any and all assistance.

-ojleblanc

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

I have been reading a lot of threads about using the iPhone with a prepaid SIM, but few folks appear to be in my particular situation, which is why I am posting here:

. I have an original iPhone
. Want to give it to my brother who uses AT&T prepaid
. He doesn't care about data plans (will use wifi only).

Can he just put his prepaid SIM in given no desire for data plan.
Or must I unlock or jailbreak the phone first.

Many thanks for any and all assistance.

-ojleblanc

When Wifi signal is weak, it automatically switches to the cellular signal to grab bits of data. This will kill your prepaid minutes in a matter of... minutes..

So, in order to bypass this, jailbreak, install SBSettings, and disable Edge.

Knight

Sep 7, 2009
Visit site
When Wifi signal is weak, it automatically switches to the cellular signal to grab bits of data. This will kill your prepaid minutes in a matter of... minutes..

So, in order to bypass this, jailbreak, install SBSettings, and disable Edge.
I could of swore this wasn't the case. I have a 3G (NOT jailbroken) I use on AT&T's Prepaid plan (More specifically Pay as you go, not Pick your plan) that does not use the cellular signal for data UNLESS I add in a network configuration profile via the iPhone Configuration Utility with the credentials (You know, wap.cingular, WAP at CINGULARGPRS.COM, etc etc). At the end of the month when my 100mb plan is up, I have to remove the profile to stop it from using the cellular signal for internet, or I have to pay for the plan again.

Though, it may be different with the 2G, I don't think so though. :p

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I could of swore this wasn't the case. I have a 3G (NOT jailbroken) I use on AT&T's Prepaid plan (More specifically Pay as you go, not Pick your plan) that does not use the cellular signal for data UNLESS I add in a network configuration profile via the iPhone Configuration Utility with the credentials (You know, wap.cingular, WAP at CINGULARGPRS.COM, etc etc). At the end of the month when my 100mb plan is up, I have to remove the profile to stop it from using the cellular signal for internet, or I have to pay for the plan again.

Though, it may be different with the 2G, I don't think so though. :p

Well, on both my 3G and 3GS I managed to get exceedingly huge amounts of data while spending 99% of my time at home. I know iPhone switches to the cellular signal when Wifi is weak, it happens all the time.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner