Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Most over rated missing feature?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • MMS

40 47.62%
  • Turn by Turn Directions

16 19.05%
  • Copy and Paste

36 42.86%
  • Something else...

7 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Arrow Most Over Rated Missing iPhone Feature

Curious as to what everyone thinks is the most over rated missing iPhone feature?

For me it is copy and paste... Yes I said it. Seriously I understand how at times someone may use it but I've always had it on WM phones and never really used it. Have it on my Bold now - never use it. So for all the people complaining about it, I wonder how often they use it... hmm

Ok, I'm not done... MMS also. MMS is horrid. Inter-carrier transmission of these things is just awful. The carriers themselves don't even handle the routing of these messages. They hire a 3rd party company out. That's why when you call to complain your buddies are not getting pictures you send or vice versa - the polite customer service people tell you it's your friends service, not yours... they are clueless because they can't do a thing about it. So here is what would happen. iPhone would get it... then you send pictures to a friend with Verizon - they don't get it and then the complaining about pictures not be delivered at all or 6 hours later starts on the forums... I can see it now.

Rant off...

Feel free to vote for more than one thing.
    Last edited by Jeremy Sikora; 02-04-2009 at 12:50 PM.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,777 Global Posts

I agree with you on both (even though I did not keep the 3G for now, I may return in June ). I have personally used C&P once in the past two years. And why, oh why, people scream so much about MMS I will never understand. If I really have a need to send a pict to someone off my phone, I email it.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    I agree with you on both (even though I did not keep the 3G for now, I may return in June ). I have personally used C&P once in the past two years. And why, oh why, people scream so much about MMS I will never understand. If I really have a need to send a pict to someone off my phone, I email it.
    Thank you!

I think they are all over rated, but I picked copy and paste.

In order of least importance...

Copy and Paste
    Most of what you need it for is taken care of in other ways by the iPhone. Would it be nice to have, yes, isn't it important to have right now, NO!

MMS is complete crap and hopefully in 10 years will be a distant memory as everyone will have moved on to smart phones with push email.

Turn by Turn would be "neat", but not that important. If you can't follow written direction or a dot on a map you need a lot more help than turn by turn.
    [ JUSTIN ]
    [ FOLLOW JUST ME ON TWITTER FOR RANDOM AND TECH RELATED STUFF ] [ @justin_horn ]
    [ FOLLOW MY BLOG WHEN WILL APPLE ON TWITTER ] [ @whenwillapple ]
    TiPb Forum Staff

Global Posts
    1,898 Global Posts

MMS all the way. I have no need for it and am getting my Mom and iPhone so she stops sending me MMS. I set it up for her to email it to me, but she just can't get it right.
    http://twitter.com/jamesus

If I have helped you, don't forget to tip the scales!
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    472 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0 GM

Well, copy and paste is available if you are jailbroken and although I have it installed, I used it ONCE. I also don't understand all the fuss about MMS. Do you really wanna pay a dollar for every photo sent?

Turn-by-turn, on the other hand, would be very useful. I can see myself using it on weekly basis, but I am happy with the current GPS performance right now.
    http://db.tt/a5VqEks
    Happy Syncing.....
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    589 Global Posts

I voted for MMS. I can't tell you how many times I've sent an MMS to someone on another carrier only to have them get it 3+ hours after the fact, whereas if I email them a photo, it's there right away. With more and more people getting smartphones, email is the way to go. A lot of people say lack of MMS on the iPhone is a dealbreaker, but in all honesty you don't need it.
    App and photo editor

Global Posts
    1,466 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

I went with copy and paste. I have only been in about 2 situations where I wished I had it.

I agree that email is better than MMS, BUT there is still a HUGE (majority) of people who don't have email capabilities on their phone. I only have a handful of friends who have email on their phone (the ones who have an iPhone). The inconvenience of the "alternative" is annoying and nearly impossible to keep up with. Not to mention, some people get LOTS of email coming in every hour and don't necessarily instantly check it the moment a new one comes in. They are probably more likely to immediately see a MMS.
    iPhone Intermediate

I said copy and paste, only used it maybe 2 times. People just like to complain about something.

MMS? I have used it more than copy and past but dont miss it. I email photos if some one wants one or if I want them to see something.

I was going to say MMS, but I said turn by turn directions, simply because I don't feel that it is a missing feature. Maybe it is just me, but I still view turn by turn as an extra, not as something that should automatically be included. Maybe it is from years of using TomTom as an extra of my PDA and Treo.
    Please remember to "like" posts that are useful, entertaining, or beneficial.

Twitter: @skeetobite | Google+: ChrisVitek | Game Center: DRSKEETO

Current Devices | iPad 2 32GB Wifi | iPad Air 128GB Wifi | iPhone 5S 64GB AT&T
    Past Devices: Visor Deluxe | Visor Prism | Zire 72 | Treo 680 | iPhone 3G | iPhone 3GS | iPhone4 | iPad 1 64GB AT&T | iPhone 4S | iPad 3 64GB Verizon LTE |
    iPhone 5 64GB AT&T
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by llofte View Post
    I went with copy and paste. I have only been in about 2 situations where I wished I had it.

I agree that email is better than MMS, BUT there is still a HUGE (majority) of people who don't have email capabilities on their phone. I only have a handful of friends who have email on their phone (the ones who have an iPhone). The inconvenience of the "alternative" is annoying and nearly impossible to keep up with. Not to mention, some people get LOTS of email coming in every hour and don't necessarily instantly check it the moment a new one comes in. They are probably more likely to immediately see a MMS.
    Sure if it ever gets to the person... which can take hours. I sent two test MMS messages around 7 last night to people on Verizon, got there oh, around 2 in the morning... (using a Blackberry Bold)
    Last edited by Jeremy Sikora; 02-04-2009 at 09:12 PM.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

I am going to be switching over from a BB 8800 with no data... I am pretty much sure that there will be very little I will be complaining about.

In terms of the C/P situation... I do use it now and then on my BB when people ask me for someones number.

MMS? My old phone doesnt take pictures... How could I complain?
    TiPb Forum Staff

Global Posts
    1,898 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nellybelly333 View Post
    I am going to be switching over from a BB 8800 with no data... I am pretty much sure that there will be very little I will be complaining about.

In terms of the C/P situation... I do use it now and then on my BB when people ask me for someones number.

MMS? My old phone doesnt take pictures... How could I complain?
    Nelly...ever the optimist! Who doesn't love that!

iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

Hahah, I do like to look at the glass as half full!

But seriously, I am counting down the days till I get my 3G...
    TiPb Forum Staff

Global Posts
    1,898 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nellybelly333 View Post
    Hahah, I do like to look at the glass as half full!

But seriously, I am counting down the days till I get my 3G...
    And how many days is that?

iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jamesus View Post
    And how many days is that?
    Fifteen! Now I have to type something else because it wont let me just type fifteen! Wahoo!
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    870 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS6

Cut and Paste all the way! I had a Treo 700P and a 755P. I kept D2G up to date with all the latest versions as soon as they came out.

Not once did I use Cut/Paste! I did not use D2G all that much. If I ever had to manipulate Docs I would always wait until I got back to my Laptop. But that was just me.
    iMore Actual

Global Posts
    2,356 Global Posts
    iOS Version

iPhone: on the web, find an article I think BadAsh will enjoy, hit the + button, hit mail link, tap in his address, send.

On cut/copy/paste phones during Round Robin: on the web, find article I think BadAsh will enjoy, curse crappy browser rendering of article, try to figure out what combo of trackball, touchscreen, stylus, and menu/keyboard buttons invoke cut and paste, fiddle to select URL, exit browser, hunt around for email, wait for send/receive to finish, choose new email, fiddle to paste url in body, add email address, send.

Apple tried something different with the iPhone. It doesn't always work the way cut/copy paste would, but in certain situations, it's much more elegant.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie View Post
    iPhone: on the web, find an article I think BadAsh will enjoy, hit the + button, hit mail link, tap in his address, send.

On cut/copy/paste phones during Round Robin: on the web, find article I think BadAsh will enjoy, curse crappy browser rendering of article, try to figure out what combo of trackball, touchscreen, stylus, and menu/keyboard buttons invoke cut and paste, fiddle to select URL, exit browser, hunt around for email, wait for send/receive to finish, choose new email, fiddle to paste url in body, add email address, send.

Apple tried something different with the iPhone. It doesn't always work the way cut/copy paste would, but in certain situations, it's much more elegant.
    Agreed, and with browsing they seem to have it down. But with things like sending someone a phone number... it would be nice.
    iPhone Nanite

I went with C&P, from my previous phones I rarely used it, and i cannot recall a time when it was absoultely essential because i was copying a complicated web address or something, and not just out of lazyiness.

I think you guys in the states must get a really REALLY raw deal with MMS, If it was handled better, and was reliable, I don't think you'd hate it so much. Different in the UK, it's now pretty reliable. I have no complaints with it.
    iPhone Intermediate

Gps is over rated I have navigation in my cars. Mms why pay extra for crap service.
    16 gb iphone (no service)/Palm pre

http://twitter.com/Jeffdc5
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,250 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I would have to say MMS for sure. I can't even count how many cell phones I went through in the 4 years before I got my iPhone. But I can count exactly how many MMS message I sent in that time; zero. They charge even more for those things than SMS (which I use a lot). And it's a total waste of money since MMS is just email the carriers run.

The iPhone is actually the first phone that I've sent pics on, using email since it's free and easy. I don't do it very often but I do get quite a few sent to me now, I prefer getting them in email because then I can also get the pic onto my computer much easier.

TBH the other features are also not all that important to me. I don't have much need for copy/paste as I'm not really a user to gets something that I need to send to someone else. My car has a GPS unit already built into the dash, I have no issues with Google Maps.
    iPhone Nanite

I am using AT&T service and have been waiting for some time for the SwirlyMMS app to work with AT&T with no issues. But recently I started using my email to send and receive pics. The only hassle is you first have to ask all contacts what service they are using and the pics don't come in instantly since you are using email.

I live in an area where 3G is not available. Cell service and texting work just fine. But if I want to check my email or get on the internet I am pretty much screwed unless I am at home or work where I have WiFi access.

I know MMS is overated for most people but it would be nice to instantly receive or send a photo like some of the bottom line camera phones!
    iPhone Intermediate

In order of annoyance...

MMS, A2DP support, and copy/paste.

Although, I've never had much of a use for copy/paste, I would use it in rare situations if I had it. But I would never, ever, under any circumstances want to send an MMS, or listen to music with wireless earphones... even if I live to be 1,000 years-old.
    Last edited by Stevie No-Wonder; 02-05-2009 at 12:29 PM.
    iPhone Newbie

The only times i have wanted C&P was pasting a URL into an RSS reader. If the iPhone handled RSS feeds natively (button on safari window) then i wouldn't have needed it at all. Still, clippy is quite good and does everything you would want from it. If Apple was posititoning the iPhone as a true smartphone (sync and edit desktop docs) then we would have to have had C&P. It wasn't so we don't.

Turn by turn? Come on, its a phone, not a sat nav.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast