Most Over Rated Missing iPhone Feature

Most over rated missing feature?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Curious as to what everyone thinks is the most over rated missing iPhone feature?

For me it is copy and paste... Yes I said it. Seriously I understand how at times someone may use it but I've always had it on WM phones and never really used it. Have it on my Bold now - never use it. So for all the people complaining about it, I wonder how often they use it... hmm :)

Ok, I'm not done... MMS also. MMS is horrid. Inter-carrier transmission of these things is just awful. The carriers themselves don't even handle the routing of these messages. They hire a 3rd party company out. That's why when you call to complain your buddies are not getting pictures you send or vice versa - the polite customer service people tell you it's your friends service, not yours... they are clueless because they can't do a thing about it. So here is what would happen. iPhone would get it... then you send pictures to a friend with Verizon - they don't get it and then the complaining about pictures not be delivered at all or 6 hours later starts on the forums... I can see it now.

Rant off... :)

Feel free to vote for more than one thing.

Last edited:

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
I agree with you on both (even though I did not keep the 3G for now, I may return in June :)). I have personally used C&P once in the past two years. And why, oh why, people scream so much about MMS I will never understand. If I really have a need to send a pict to someone off my phone, I email it.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I agree with you on both (even though I did not keep the 3G for now, I may return in June :)). I have personally used C&P once in the past two years. And why, oh why, people scream so much about MMS I will never understand. If I really have a need to send a pict to someone off my phone, I email it.

Thank you! :)

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I think they are all over rated, but I picked copy and paste.

In order of least importance...

Copy and Paste
Most of what you need it for is taken care of in other ways by the iPhone. Would it be nice to have, yes, isn't it important to have right now, NO!

MMS is complete crap and hopefully in 10 years will be a distant memory as everyone will have moved on to smart phones with push email.

Turn by Turn would be "neat", but not that important. If you can't follow written direction or a dot on a map you need a lot more help than turn by turn.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
MMS all the way. I have no need for it and am getting my Mom and iPhone so she stops sending me MMS. I set it up for her to email it to me, but she just can't get it right.

melwan

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Well, copy and paste is available if you are jailbroken and although I have it installed, I used it ONCE. I also don't understand all the fuss about MMS. Do you really wanna pay a dollar for every photo sent?

Turn-by-turn, on the other hand, would be very useful. I can see myself using it on weekly basis, but I am happy with the current GPS performance right now.

legendofdon

Dec 19, 2008
Visit site
I voted for MMS. I can't tell you how many times I've sent an MMS to someone on another carrier only to have them get it 3+ hours after the fact, whereas if I email them a photo, it's there right away. With more and more people getting smartphones, email is the way to go. A lot of people say lack of MMS on the iPhone is a dealbreaker, but in all honesty you don't need it.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
I went with copy and paste. I have only been in about 2 situations where I wished I had it.

I agree that email is better than MMS, BUT there is still a HUGE (majority) of people who don't have email capabilities on their phone. I only have a handful of friends who have email on their phone (the ones who have an iPhone). The inconvenience of the "alternative" is annoying and nearly impossible to keep up with. Not to mention, some people get LOTS of email coming in every hour and don't necessarily instantly check it the moment a new one comes in. They are probably more likely to immediately see a MMS.

zukir02

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I said copy and paste, only used it maybe 2 times. People just like to complain about something.

MMS? I have used it more than copy and past but dont miss it. I email photos if some one wants one or if I want them to see something.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I was going to say MMS, but I said turn by turn directions, simply because I don't feel that it is a missing feature. Maybe it is just me, but I still view turn by turn as an extra, not as something that should automatically be included. Maybe it is from years of using TomTom as an extra of my PDA and Treo. :)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I went with copy and paste. I have only been in about 2 situations where I wished I had it.

I agree that email is better than MMS, BUT there is still a HUGE (majority) of people who don't have email capabilities on their phone. I only have a handful of friends who have email on their phone (the ones who have an iPhone). The inconvenience of the "alternative" is annoying and nearly impossible to keep up with. Not to mention, some people get LOTS of email coming in every hour and don't necessarily instantly check it the moment a new one comes in. They are probably more likely to immediately see a MMS.

Sure if it ever gets to the person... which can take hours. I sent two test MMS messages around 7 last night to people on Verizon, got there oh, around 2 in the morning... (using a Blackberry Bold)

Last edited:

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
I am going to be switching over from a BB 8800 with no data... I am pretty much sure that there will be very little I will be complaining about.

In terms of the C/P situation... I do use it now and then on my BB when people ask me for someones number.

MMS? My old phone doesnt take pictures... How could I complain?

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I am going to be switching over from a BB 8800 with no data... I am pretty much sure that there will be very little I will be complaining about.

In terms of the C/P situation... I do use it now and then on my BB when people ask me for someones number.

MMS? My old phone doesnt take pictures... How could I complain?

Nelly...ever the optimist! Who doesn't love that! :D

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Cut and Paste all the way! I had a Treo 700P and a 755P. I kept D2G up to date with all the latest versions as soon as they came out.

Not once did I use Cut/Paste! I did not use D2G all that much. If I ever had to manipulate Docs I would always wait until I got back to my Laptop. But that was just me.:p

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
iPhone: on the web, find an article I think BadAsh will enjoy, hit the + button, hit mail link, tap in his address, send.

On cut/copy/paste phones during Round Robin: on the web, find article I think BadAsh will enjoy, curse crappy browser rendering of article, try to figure out what combo of trackball, touchscreen, stylus, and menu/keyboard buttons invoke cut and paste, fiddle to select URL, exit browser, hunt around for email, wait for send/receive to finish, choose new email, fiddle to paste url in body, add email address, send.

Apple tried something different with the iPhone. It doesn't always work the way cut/copy paste would, but in certain situations, it's much more elegant.

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
iPhone: on the web, find an article I think BadAsh will enjoy, hit the + button, hit mail link, tap in his address, send.

On cut/copy/paste phones during Round Robin: on the web, find article I think BadAsh will enjoy, curse crappy browser rendering of article, try to figure out what combo of trackball, touchscreen, stylus, and menu/keyboard buttons invoke cut and paste, fiddle to select URL, exit browser, hunt around for email, wait for send/receive to finish, choose new email, fiddle to paste url in body, add email address, send.

Apple tried something different with the iPhone. It doesn't always work the way cut/copy paste would, but in certain situations, it's much more elegant.

Agreed, and with browsing they seem to have it down. But with things like sending someone a phone number... it would be nice.

Maniacfive

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
I went with C&P, from my previous phones I rarely used it, and i cannot recall a time when it was absoultely essential because i was copying a complicated web address or something, and not just out of lazyiness.

I think you guys in the states must get a really REALLY raw deal with MMS, If it was handled better, and was reliable, I don't think you'd hate it so much. Different in the UK, it's now pretty reliable. I have no complaints with it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen